Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS430 or Celsior - What's the difference?

In about a month's time I'll be financially fluid enough to buy my dream car but after (stupidly) turning down a 1990 Celsior with more toys than I could ever want in 2006ish and ending up with a GS300, I don't want to make the same mistake again.  My budget is between £4,000 and £5,000 and if not already fitted with LPG then that will need to be factored in. I'll be doing a 200 mile a week commute plus personal so I can just about justify an installation. I imagine the installation to be around £1,600 give or take and I'd prefer BRC or Prins if poss.

My targets with what's on the market at the moment are an LS430 already converted that's done 222k miles but possibly pre-facelift (registered Oct 2004)

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/lexus-ls430-limo-auto-lpg-22-lexus-mdlr-stamps-fatherson-ownd-full-spec/1329193671?utm_source=savedsearches&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GT.TRIGGER.SA&utm_content=none&utm_source=savedsearches&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GT.TRIGGER.SA&utm_content=none

This later one which is a facelift. Lower mileage but I'd have to add in the cost of conversion.

http://www.vlcars.co.uk/auto/1081

Or there's that £4,000 Celsior on eBay mentioned in another post somewhere.

There are others around but they look a bit too tatty.

I haven't ruled out going to my local Lexus dealer and asking if they get anything in px but that's a bit of a long shot.

Someone mentioned in another post about LPG only being possible on pre-2006 cars. LS460s are just out of my budget at the moment and I'm not entirely sure I'd prefer one over a 430 but what's the reason for non-conversion?

The Celsior can have much more equipment, or it could have less! If it's a new import it could have the speedo in KPH. Mine has TV which doesn't work much in the UK. The switches are mostly in English but oddly some in Japanese. The Celsior has thicker carpet and the mats are about a half inch thick! Mine also doesn't have "double glazed" windows which is good because they can't delaminate. The Celsior can also have various other oddments but nothing seems standard. On most the rear passenger can move the front passenger seat right forward and then flat to get loads of leg room and a better view. Speed may be limited to 112mph or there about. Mine also doesn't have the ML music system which is something else I'm very pleased about. Most have very dark tinted back windows to protect the inside from the sun/heat. Everything else is pretty much the same. Insurance is a bit harder to get as most won't cover imports. One of the best things is having a Toyota badge, it's a great conversation starter!  Also if you get a fresh import the underbelly may be totally rust free, as the body should be.

1 hour ago, genius149 said:

Someone mentioned in another post about LPG only being possible on pre-2006 cars. LS460s are just out of my budget at the moment and I'm not entirely sure I'd prefer one over a 430 but what's the reason for non-conversion

The engine is direct injection rather than port injection so it can't be done.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Very useful.

I've perused most of the ones on eBay and hope that my perfect car doesn't appear just yet. Or if it already has, has been for sale long enough for me to haggle a bargain.

Annoyingly, an LPG converted mk4 LS400 sold very cheaply last month less than a mile away from me! Luckily I spoke to the seller and had a good recommendation for a local garage to do the bits I can't.

5 hours ago, The-Acre said:

On most the rear passenger can move the front passenger seat right forward and then flat to get loads of leg room and a better view. Speed may be limited to 112mph or there about.

The 1990 one I looked at had this, and ultrasonic mirrors as well. I'm happy to waft along at legal speeds these days so I'd be happy with the Japanese restriction. 180KPH if I remember correctly

My Celsior is my first import,  and should I ever buy another Lexus I wouldn't want anything else because the Japanese just seem to look after their cars so much better.

Is the Japanese equivalent of the MOT more stringent than UK?  Surprised that your Car doesn't have double glazing as standard.  Assume soft closure doors?  On my 96 W140 Merc the doors double glazing was fine but the Windscreen and the Rear Window had delaminated at the bottom, badly. 

I do see one Ls430 on the bay with a delaminated side window which is the first I've ever seen. Is this common or did you see the same on "School Bus" (Reg) ?  

Why better underbody, I'd have thought that Garages are not as common as in UK ?

7 minutes ago, ISJason said:

Just wondering. Is Lexus branding used in Japan or is everything called Toyota over there?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's branded as Lexus now but wasn't some years ago. I don't know if this is true but someone said the US originally had the rights to the brand name, who knows.

3 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Is the Japanese equivalent of the MOT more stringent than UK?  Surprised that your Car doesn't have double glazing as standard.  Assume soft closure doors?  On my 96 W140 Merc the doors double glazing was fine but the Windscreen and the Rear Window had delaminated at the bottom, badly. 

I do see one Ls430 on the bay with a delaminated side window which is the first I've ever seen. Is this common or did you see the same on "School Bus" (Reg) ?  

Why better underbody, I'd have thought that Garages are not as common as in UK ?

Apparently the MOT equivalent is more stringent, and yes, soft close doors. The pre-facelift is prone to delamination but I've also seen it on later ones. I'm told the Japanese don't salt their roads so less rust.  I've posted this before but this is the underneath of mine after 16 years.

IMG_20180825_101325262.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

The first one on your initial post is also a facelift model.
Just look for the rectangular foglights (facelift) as opposed to the "oval" ones (non-facelift).

I must admit to being tempted by the first one. There's a lot to be said for it even with the mileage. History, 2 owners, recent cambelt change and an interesting ~300 mile test drive home to get used to it.

This is just out of my budget but I'm tempted nonetheless. Not sure I could justify the running costs though. I drive reasonably frugally so could potentially average 45mpg with LPG in a celsior or LS430. LS600h is potentially 35mpg.

I need to do some research into the actual returns people get for both. The mileage doesn't really put me off - although it justifies the asking price.

https://www.euronetmotors.co.uk/used-lexus-ls-leicester-leicestershire-1975499