Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Updating Sat Nav DVD are is250 and isf the same

First time on this forum, have had my 2010 isf for 18 months (had a 2006 is250 SE-L for 6 years previous) now used as a daily driver and has been a true Lexus drives and looks like it has come straight from the factory. No one knows what it is since I have had the car only two people have said oh it's an isf. I have a question for anyone out there, is there any difference between the Sat Nav DVD for the is250 and the isf I am going to update the Sat Nav DVD and want to make sure I get the right one. I have attached a couple of pics of my prized possession and will be looking to go to any car meets in the Essex area this year.

lexusISF1.thumb.jpg.e7c44c82a1f6cdf359906479f36feb18.jpg

LexusISF2.thumb.jpg.8366eeecd1de901c504334cd90c82c9f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Firstly nice ride, very jealous over here!  Hopefully do the same and 'upgrade' from my SE-L to an ISF in the future sometime.

So is your ISF sat nav got a DVD based system or the SD card system. Not sure when changeover year was on your car was but it was about 09-10. If you have the Gen 5 unit You can check by the screen info. You prob know this already from your 250 but 'MENU' then 'MAP DVD' shows the screen below, but do not press 'Eject' unless clock fascia bezel has been removed.

like you say car is quite 'rare' and not listed in the compatibility list here. But if you have the Gen 5 unit then I would say the DVD is compatable.

https://satnavstore.com/lexus-tns-600-700-navigation-map-dvd-sat-nav-disc-update?search=Lexus

image.jpeg

Was this the ISF at a Chelmsford “breakfast club” pub meet in October last year?......they are a great car, sat nav issue I can’t address, the 08 system is complete rubbish, think they made some major changes as time went by.......hopefully see u about Essex 👍🏻👍🏻

Hi

I have been meaning to do this since I got the car. Mine is a 59 plate and is the DVD based satnav (which I think will be the same as the OP, I dont know of any 59 plates with the updated nav) thanks for the link I have just ordered a disc.

Is it just a case of inserting into the DVD drive or is it more complex than that since you mention removing the fascia?

Cheers!

The slot that you put your music CD's ( and movie DVD's if you have the multimedia system) is NOT the slot that  the SatNav DVD lives. The SatNav DVD has it's own dedicated slot that is behind the clock bezel/fascia, this is removable with the two small watchmaker screwdriver looking tools that are stored in the spine of the cars toolkit in the boot. Try and do it without using a Metal screwdriver at step 3, if anything use plastic! And don't bother to dis-connect clock module.

paul m.

image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To CB, I did remove the DVD to check the serial number on the disc. I looked at a couple of youtube videos but the instructions posted by Texas are much clearer. The one thing I would advise is to use a small sucker to pull the panel out if you can get hold of one, less so likely to mark the front panel with a screw driver head.

To Womble72, so were you the one with the red ISF further into the car park at the Hare pub Chelmsford thats a great colour for the ISF. Might catch you at the next meet at the Hare on the first saturday the 6th April.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Good question @CADman because its a job I had in mind for my 59 plate ISF so the details from @Texas are great. Thanks

But has anyone proven the disk from the link above loads up and installs OK?  At £29.99 its worth a punt but worth the question to see if anyone has tried it yet.

4 minutes ago, gb1600e said:

Good question @CADman because its a job I had in mind for my 59 plate ISF so the details from @Texas are great. Thanks

But has anyone proven the disk from the link above loads up and installs OK?  At £29.99 its worth a punt but worth the question to see if anyone has tried it yet.

Can’t say for the Lexus BUT can confirm that when I purchased the latest map for the wife’s legacy outback it worked perfectly fine.

On 3/12/2019 at 2:39 PM, CADman said:

To CB, I did remove the DVD to check the serial number on the disc. I looked at a couple of youtube videos but the instructions posted by Texas are much clearer. The one thing I would advise is to use a small sucker to pull the panel out if you can get hold of one, less so likely to mark the front panel with a screw driver head.

To Womble72, so were you the one with the red ISF further into the car park at the Hare pub Chelmsford thats a great colour for the ISF. Might catch you at the next meet at the Hare on the first saturday the 6th April.

Cheers.

Yep that was mine, first time I’d been, my sons friend knew about it as his uncle goes with his Aston each month, there is another pub they own in Rochford “the cherry tree”.......apparently they are going to alternate between the two of them.....hopefully be there in April, do u mind me asking where “Cadman” came from?

was my grandads middle name and nearly my sons name, his mum wouldn’t allow me to name him after my dad AND grandad 🙄

@Womble72 The user name is from my job I'm a CAD draughtsman/designer for a windows doors and facades company. That would be a cool name if I had been called that for real.

I intend to be at the next meet at the Hare with my brother, I want to get there a little earlier next time I got the last spot in the car park last time and. Might try the cooked breakfast if it's not to busy inside. @gb1600eGoing back to the subject of the sat nav DVD I bit the bullit and bought one for 152 quid from Lexus Rayleigh when I swapped it over tried a couple of test street search names and it does not recognise the searches but if I put the old one back in the street searches work OK. So I don't know if the sat nav needs to be reset or if there's an issue with the new DVD so I will be calling Lexus Rayleigh and hope they can give me any pointers.

I took a punt and ordered the DVD, it arrived a couple of days ago and looks like a OEM Lexus item not the knock off I was expecting!

I will give it a try at the weekend and let you know how I get on.

I believe you can check a reference number of your satnav on the Lexus website, if it's over a certain value then you can download a map update and indeed apply it via a USB stick. It's been on my list of things to do for a looong time. One of these days 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, C.B said:

I took a punt and ordered the DVD, it arrived a couple of days ago and looks like a OEM Lexus item not the knock off I was expecting!

I will give it a try at the weekend and let you know how I get on.

I did the same and its in the post as we speak. Hope it works, hope its an improvement. hope it doesn't screw up the system.

Interesting point @JonP thanks.  20 seconds on the internet reveals this https://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/Shop/Index  It further identifies my system as Gen 05 (doesn't list ISF but going with IS250), and my old IS300 as Gen 01 as it happens. (now why didn't I order 2 disks Doh!)   To test the website further I need to get the disk serial number to check the next step but that's for the weekend too.

The fact its £152 @CADman would be a reason I haven't done it already, but for it not to work. Yikes. Hope they sort you out with more than a promise of free coffee.  It would be great to know how you get on.

And for the benefit of other readers how we all get on.  That's why I love this forum.  I will update the weekends events if my cheapo disk arrives safely, or at all.

I looked on the web site you @gb1600e mentioned a couple of weeks ago and it gave me a price of 174 quid for 2017-2018 map update DVDs (4 in the set) so I got in contact with Lexus Rayleigh were I get my servicing done and ordered it from them at 152 quid I know it's alot for the updated maps but I just wanted it to work properly cos there are alot of comments about systems not working correctly after using the OEM discs. I would have put up with the original disc but I have wanted to use the sat nav on a couple of occasions and it would send me in total the wrong direction so I ended up not using it at all now. I hope the discs work out OK for you I think there will be alot of members waiting to see what you think of your purchase. I will post what happens with my issues with the new discs aswell.

Well that was simple enough and took no more than 10 minutes.

Interestingly the two prongs needed for this are missing from the spine of my toolkit but thanks @Texas as I would never have know to even look.

So two jewellers screwdrivers carefully inserted did the trick and just the normal tension of pushing the screwdrivers together while pulling and out comes the clock facia.

538173829_WP_20190323_14_09_54_Pro1.thumb.jpg.ec801b9d70edea841ee1911cb581c04b.jpg546872671_WP_20190323_14_34_46_Pro1.thumb.jpg.408f79f86c95537a8f125fe6d8bfaaaa.jpg

Following the instructions from @Texas ejecting the DVD confirms its original 09-09 Ver 1 when ejected.

1319403947_WP_20190323_14_11_27_Pro1.thumb.jpg.eaa484e91d637c368d0fda7d8281ef99.jpg500474159_WP_20190323_14_13_37_Pro1.thumb.jpg.313ba34dda4765cb96195ba92a48ac80.jpg

My new £29.99 disk does look like original Lexus version and is noted 2017 18 Ver 2 on the disk and when loaded the car reads it correctly.

284197388_WP_20190323_14_15_15_Pro1.thumb.jpg.21beb8f5b015f31e856e3557b199673a.jpg1305743482_WP_20190323_14_16_15_Pro1.thumb.jpg.0d9fd75a8b219eae2c597981f60ef84f.jpg

Slot the clock back in and all is lovely and indeed shows a new local link road built around 12 months ago.

629403628_WP_20190323_14_17_19_Pro1.thumb.jpg.76a3fb08432d94470441c18d8fb5cc57.jpg

So in the end I'm very pleased.  Not an exact price comparison @CADman for all 4 European disks but I don't need the other 3, just the one with the UK on which is West Europe. (That said additional disks are available direct from the supplier for an extra £10 when placing an order so possibly £60 all in?.  (I wish now I had bought one for my IS 300). 

As ever I guess the price of piece of mind for Lexus doing it or having a go yourself.  Im a have a go sort of guy.

• Like 4

Happy days! Glad you got a ( inexpensive ) result!

I love it when you end up with the same outcome but your wallet is not battered!

Cheers Paul M.

• Like 1

I just replaced mine recently as well, got the 17-18 DVD from eBay for £17. It looks genuine but I doubt it is.

As for installation, you have to be very brave to pull from the Warning button like the manual states. It just feels like the button is going to come off. Luckily I had a mini suction cup and it did the job easily. Also make sure you push the screwdrivers/tools all the way in.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update to my previous submission, picked up the box of discs from Lexus at Rayleigh and swapped the discs over without any issues. Thought I would test it out on a run to a local road that I know that has been around for a long time. So getting in the car started a search on the screen typed in the street name and then the district but then the sat nav does not recognise the street so I swap the discs back and try again and it recognises the search using the old disc. I then put the new disc back in again still the same, I drive over to the road I know is there and it is showing up on the map. I did this again with another road with exactly the same result not recognised, after a call to Lexus at Rayleigh they said to take the car to them and they would have a look. Arrived at Lexus and a technician takes a look all is OK so he tries a street search and then puts in the district and it throws back several choices first selection does not work so goes back and selects another this time it recognises the selection and allows you to proceed. So after he has checked it out he admits these sat navs are the bain of his life he's always being asked to sort them out. So to sum up it looks like you have to keep choosing one of the districts the satnav throws up until it's happy with your choice. I think I will be using the Garmin as a back up anyway.

One thing I've noticed is that using the POI system is much easier and more accurate than the inadequate postcode system. 

Obviously if you're going to someone's house it's no good, but if you're going to a hotel or tourist spot or a parking area, petrol station, etc, try using the POI system.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to trying my disc from the satnavstore at the weekend.

Works perfectly no problems at all and a 5 minute job to do yourself. Graphics on the map seem better also.

• Like 1