Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dear all I'm toying with the idea of swapping my LS 400 for a 600h. My LS is a 98 IV it has covered around 270000 miles and has been in my possession for around 15 years. There is nothing actually wrong with it and it still possesses all the qualities that many of you will be familiar with. I use the car mainly for commuting and ferrying my kids around. I have never driven a 600h but I did test the 460 quite a while back and to be honest I didn't find it as refined as my LS. I do like the idea of something a bit newer, more modern etc, my wife has never taken to the look of the LS400 not that that in itself is a reason to change it - I love it. I've often thought that it would be an RX450 that would eventually replace the LS, I think they are a great do it all car and I like the comfort the economy and the  reassurance of four-wheel-drive however my wife owns an RX 450 H and I don't really like the idea of having two identical cars in the same household and I also like driving big value for money saloons and I think the 600h would have a lot of similar qualities to the RX.  I guess I'll be looking at the lower end of the 600 spectrum so I'm not afraid of something high mileage and I am realistic enough to know that for 100 K car running costs could be high. So would be interested any thoughts has anybody made the swap and what do they think? Dothey regret it? How do they compare and have there been any astronomical unexpected bills or other things that they really miss from the LS400? Thanks in advance.
Nick
  • Like 1

Hi Nick, go for it, you won't regret it. Have gone through the range of LS's over the past 17 years;

95 mark 3 400; Owned for 3 years, bought with 150k miles, replaced front suspension  (£700 ish)

99 mark 4 400 DHP; Owned for 4 years, 65k miles to 100k, can't remember any major issues.

2006 430; Bought at 2 years old with 130k, no major problems, sold only because I fell in love with the 460.

2007 460 SE-L; 60k, kept for 4 years, sold at 102k, no problems at all.

2009 600HL RSR;   Bought at 3 years old 70k miles. Sold after 5 years of ownership, 115k on the clock and running perfectly.

and presently a 2013 600 HL. I think after every change, I've wondered if I've done the right thing. Each one is different and after a few weeks of getting used to it you realise you have. I'm pretty sure that each model I've had, the costs have been about the same to keep on the road. MPG is about 25, Insurance is roughly the same, VED is cheaper, being a hybrid. Some nice examples for sale at the moment, to suit all budgets.

Good Luck, Graham.

• Like 2

I've done this recently. In the past I've had two LS400s. Both lovely and bought for less than £1k each. Drove both for around 3 years with must normal servicing and the odd extra bill. The first one was LPG and sadly the VVTI unit when bang travelling along a local bypass. I put it down to poor servicing prior to my ownership. The second car I ending up selling for a small profit. I really enjoyed both the LS400 but the family didn't like them much. They were a bit too dated in style (they have no taste!).  I loved the history behind the car and researched that quite a bit at the time. I'm not a mechanic and I've not got any particular interest in learning how to do anything more complex than changing oil, etc. So, my view is that it would probably be good to have more skill than me to keep these things going on the road as they get older. It could be an expensive game to be in if you are paying independent mechanics fees for jobs on these cars on a more regular basis.

Anyway, move forward to last year (and following two years in a lovely Honda Accord 3.0 Coupe), I bought my current car - a 2008 LS600 from Lexus Stoke. Just over 100k and they included a full three year warranty in the sale. I've now done just over 15k in the car. Immaculate service history, all Lexus, from day one. It will continue to be that way. I've put a private plate on it and it is often mistaken for a new car by those who know nothing about these things :)

I love this car. The family love it too. It is so quiet, refined, luxurious and has enough bells and whistles to keep everyone engaged. The quality of the workmanship throughout is astonishingly good. I have the 'poverty' spec by choice (no reclining rear seats) but I can put a digital piano on the back seat when needed for work. It is super quiet on the motorway, loads of power, and is a fabulous place to be. I regularly get just over 30mpg which isn't bad for such a big car imho. I look at the newer LS range and I like the dynamic styling etc. But I also really love the look of my car too. I can honestly say that there is another car that I'd rather own at the moment that this LS600. 

Whilst I genuinely loved both of my LS400 and was really sad to see them go, given the choice I'd go for the LS600 every day of the week. It is an amazing bit of engineering in every respect. The only issue is what on earth am I going to replace this amazing car with around the summer of 2021?

• Like 3

I have never been in a 600, but I am pretty sure that if I drove one I would fall in love with it, not so much the toys, but just the luxury of it.

And if I had the space would keep the 400, as though it is now quite an old design, but for the moment just going to stick with the 400.

It's a very individual thing choosing a car.
When I went looking for mine, I tested the 400/430/460 and wanted to test a 600 but couldn't find any in my area..
I found that the 400 was superb, but every example I saw was a bit more worn than I wanted.
The 460 had the most voooom, but it felt less connected to the road, and of course £500 VED.
The 430 was, for me, the best of the bunch. Not as pokey as the 460 but a drivers car with adequate voom.

22 hours ago, jpjsavage said:

I've done this recently. In the past I've had two LS400s. Both lovely and bought for less than £1k each. Drove both for around 3 years with must normal servicing and the odd extra bill. The first one was LPG and sadly the VVTI unit when bang travelling along a local bypass. I put it down to poor servicing prior to my ownership. The second car I ending up selling for a small profit. I really enjoyed both the LS400 but the family didn't like them much. They were a bit too dated in style (they have no taste!).  I loved the history behind the car and researched that quite a bit at the time. I'm not a mechanic and I've not got any particular interest in learning how to do anything more complex than changing oil, etc. So, my view is that it would probably be good to have more skill than me to keep these things going on the road as they get older. It could be an expensive game to be in if you are paying independent mechanics fees for jobs on these cars on a more regular basis.

Anyway, move forward to last year (and following two years in a lovely Honda Accord 3.0 Coupe), I bought my current car - a 2008 LS600 from Lexus Stoke. Just over 100k and they included a full three year warranty in the sale. I've now done just over 15k in the car. Immaculate service history, all Lexus, from day one. It will continue to be that way. I've put a private plate on it and it is often mistaken for a new car by those who know nothing about these things 🙂

I love this car. The family love it too. It is so quiet, refined, luxurious and has enough bells and whistles to keep everyone engaged. The quality of the workmanship throughout is astonishingly good. I have the 'poverty' spec by choice (no reclining rear seats) but I can put a digital piano on the back seat when needed for work. It is super quiet on the motorway, loads of power, and is a fabulous place to be. I regularly get just over 30mpg which isn't bad for such a big car imho. I look at the newer LS range and I like the dynamic styling etc. But I also really love the look of my car too. I can honestly say that there is another car that I'd rather own at the moment that this LS600. 

Whilst I genuinely loved both of my LS400 and was really sad to see them go, given the choice I'd go for the LS600 every day of the week. It is an amazing bit of engineering in every respect. The only issue is what on earth am I going to replace this amazing car with around the summer of 2021?

Hi Jonathan.   "The only issue is what on earth am I going to replace this amazing car with around the summer of 2021?"   You buy this when it's depreciated a lot more!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201902215150389

I love the look of these cars but how do you go on when parking them? How long does it take to find a suitable parking space in a car park?

Parking is an absolute breeze. Sensors everywhere and a rear camera. It will even park itself apparently but I've never tried that. As for supermakets etc, I just tend to park in a quiet bit and walk a bit further. Just trying to avoid those accidental dents. 

I couldn't follow the link but I'm hoping it LED to another great Lexus?

5 minutes ago, jpjsavage said:

Parking is an absolute breeze. Sensors everywhere and a rear camera. It will even park itself apparently but I've never tried that. As for supermakets etc, I just tend to park in a quiet bit and walk a bit further. Just trying to avoid those accidental dents. 

I couldn't follow the link but I'm hoping it led to another great Lexus?

If you put into Google 'Lexus LS600H for sale' then click on the Autotrader link you'll see a beautiful blue with grey interior. Really really superb looking car.

On 10 March 2019 at 7:48 PM, graham8370 said:

Thanks all, Graham, Jonathan, those are ringing endorsements and very meaningful considering you have made the switch. I guess I need to test one soon and hopefully I will concur with your feedback. Thanks again. Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to follow the link ok and WOW just blown away by the fact that it has a REAL clock ......  reminds me of mine in my old Wolseley 16/60 from 50 years ago

nostalgia or what !

Malc

On 3/10/2019 at 9:21 PM, jpjsavage said:

Anyway, move forward to last year (and following two years in a lovely Honda Accord 3.0 Coupe), I bought my current car - a 2008 LS600 from Lexus Stoke. Just over 100k and they included a full three year warranty in the sale.

I wonder how many other car makers that would be happy to give a full warranty on a car with 100,000 miles on it.

Yes I would recommend . i now have a LS600H RSR

My first LS 600 i bought almost on a whim for £650 from .afriend who'd driven round Europe on a 7 day older boy trip..I loved it . it was an N regi put some miles on here then she failed MOT on suspension and saw id be best to sell

I was so taken I now own a 2007 LS600H long wheelbase with RSR of course.

Staggeringly comfy and even non car people talk about it wafting.Amazing vehicle and the Germans must now see their scorn when Lexus launched was misguided.

Youll get bigger miles froma dielsel Merc etc but you wont getb the interior feeling...

I bought at 75, partial history but spoke with dealer separately and could see it had been treated well..Service people if approached will go through a plate histyory if thye have . the carrot is you will bring to them . which i did when i bought.

Now done 99,000 ands its still so fab..except my role has changed so bigger miles less likley so may be tempted to sell . but its . sheer joy to get into . and my older son will weep if i sell her..the rarity helps strengthen residuals too . 

2 hours ago, Greer said:

Whats the VVTI untit & what does it do? 

I think it might be variable valve timing. My mechanic says it helps with accelerating, but you don't really notice if it's not working.

17 hours ago, Greer said:

Whats the VVTI untit & what does it do? 

Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence.
It varies the valve opening timing and valve open duration depending on a whole variety of variables controlled by a computer.
Essentially it gives you an engine optimised for torque at low RPM and an engine optimised for power at high RPM.
Results are better drive-ability and better fuel economy.
VVT-iW (W for Wide) on the 460 also added a lot more power (90Bhp more than the 430 motor).

• Like 2

I also have owned two LS400s. I had no problems with either.  Also an IS250. Lots of fun with this one. But not an LS. I agree with all of the above. I was looking at the 600. But I opted for the LS460. In 3 months I have had no problems in 8000 miles. Like Johnathan. I have no idea what to get next. 

On 3/26/2019 at 10:27 AM, Branddoctor said:

Yes I would recommend . i now have a LS600H RSR

My first LS 600 i bought almost on a whim for £650 from .afriend who'd driven round Europe on a 7 day older boy trip..I loved it . it was an N regi put some miles on here then she failed MOT on suspension and saw id be best to sell

I was so taken I now own a 2007 LS600H long wheelbase with RSR of course.

Staggeringly comfy and even non car people talk about it wafting.Amazing vehicle and the Germans must now see their scorn when Lexus launched was misguided.

Youll get bigger miles froma dielsel Merc etc but you wont getb the interior feeling...

I bought at 75, partial history but spoke with dealer separately and could see it had been treated well..Service people if approached will go through a plate histyory if thye have . the carrot is you will bring to them . which i did when i bought.

Now done 99,000 ands its still so fab..except my role has changed so bigger miles less likley so may be tempted to sell . but its . sheer joy to get into . and my older son will weep if i sell her..the rarity helps strengthen residuals too . 

Thanks for your feedback- sounds really positive, let me know if you are planning to sell at any point in the future, if the timings right then I may be interested - definitely a car I want to own at some point- my kids love the idea of the RSR pack!

1 hour ago, Nick W858 said:

Thanks for your feedback- sounds really positive, let me know if you are planning to sell at any point in the future, if the timings right then I may be interested - definitely a car I want to own at some point- my kids love the idea of the RSR pack!

Traded in my LS600hL with RSR 09 reg with 48000 on clock on monday at lexus teeside, keep a eye out on autotrader for that one, minted inside and out silver with black leather but expect a top end price tag

Here it is parked up and my last photo of it before i left dealership in a RCF

had car for near on 5 yrs and was a absolute pleasure to drive and own

1BA10678-7B43-464F-8CF4-1B65F969ADEC.jpeg

Thanks Graham, I suspect yours might be out if my price range, just found out my job has disappeared so waiting on some restructure announcements to see if I can keep on working or whether I take a very early retirement. I do quite like the idea of selling my LS400 and cashing in my 911 and replacing them with a 600h and an SC430 but probably best to wait until the job situation is resolved, my wife is already panicking at the thought of me potentially retiring at 50!

1 hour ago, Nick W858 said:

Thanks Graham, I suspect yours might be out if my price range, just found out my job has disappeared so waiting on some restructure announcements to see if I can keep on working or whether I take a very early retirement. I do quite like the idea of selling my LS400 and cashing in my 911 and replacing them with a 600h and an SC430 but probably best to wait until the job situation is resolved, my wife is already panicking at the thought of me potentially retiring at 50!

It seems to be £19,980

12 hours ago, mr2lad said:

Traded in my LS600hL with RSR 09 reg with 48000 on clock on monday at lexus teeside, keep a eye out on autotrader for that one, minted inside and out silver with black leather but expect a top end price tag

Here it is parked up and my last photo of it before i left dealership in a RCF

had car for near on 5 yrs and was a absolute pleasure to drive and own

1BA10678-7B43-464F-8CF4-1B65F969ADEC.jpeg

Could someone confirm for me, is the L after LS600h i.e. LS600hL for the long wheel base or is it for Luxury? The ones I've seen for sale say the length is 5030mm irrespective of the L. If there are two lengths, what are they? Thanks.  

image.png

1 hour ago, JeffL said:

Could someone confirm for me, is the L after LS600h i.e. LS600hL for the long wheel base or is it for Luxury? The ones I've seen for sale say the length is 5030mm irrespective of the L. If there are two lengths, what are they? Thanks.  

image.png

Wheelbase of L is 5.2 inches longer than std. See wikipeadia.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

It seems to be £19,980

Thanks - when I was originally looking I was open to most price ranges but erring towards a galactic mileage example at around the £8-10k mark - my LS400 is around the 270k mark and I’m not too precious about the mileage.

4 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Wheelbase of L is 5.2 inches longer than std. See wikipeadia.

Thanks John. I've had a good look at the wikipedia page and the LWB (UVF46) apparently has a length of between 5151 and 5179mm, the SWB (UVF45) has a length of 5029 to 5060. I'm not sure why there isn't an exact length quoted. The ones I can see for sale at the moment appear to be SWB as the dimensions blurb quotes the length at 5030 to 5060 approximately BUT they have 'L' on the boot badge so I'm still uncertain what the 'L' stands for. I would have thought that on such a luxury high specced car that there weren't any grade levels apart from personalised options which wouldn't affect the badge. I don't think the 'L' can be for Long Wheel Base as the cars currently for sale are quoted at approx. 5030 in length unless of course the blurb attached to the adverts is generic and the sellers aren't doing their research properly. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd appreciate it.

My old one i traded in last week is now on autotrader, no pics as yet but advertised at £19980 at lexus teeside, and just a mere 48357mls on clock,

fantastic motor with unmarked as new interior and excellent body work no dings or scrapes, owned it for just short of 5yrs, 

one of the if not best on the road, cant fault it, i put it back to standard prior to trading it in ie took of aftermarket alloys and replaced with the standard alloys and took out GROM vline V2 system i had fitted to infotainment system and took off and gave away the wind deflectors to another LS owner

This is the last photo i took of it after i parked it up and handed keys in 

2nd pic is how i had it prior to swapping things over

806EAF5D-A635-408D-8964-3811BAC28370.jpeg

C1739D8E-D376-4FB8-8F25-4B40BB95EE10.jpeg

• Like 1