Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

5 year Service Plan exclusions

Hi All, Ive got a 5 year service plan with Lexus Bristol for my RX400h - I've got my next service coming up and the cam belt needs changing (10 years old). Lexus tell me that's excluded from the service plan which surprises me as it's a scheduled service item rather than a wear and tear consumable.

Annoyingly, my service plan documentation is silent on the matter.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this issue?

Thanks

Richard

I think it may also be related to the way the service plan was set up. The dealer will have worked out the number of services required over a 5 year period, based on your estimated average mileage. For some, this will equate to one service per year, for others who do more miles it could be more, e.g. 7 or more services over the same 5 year period. The number of major/minor services will then have been considered to work out a monthly fee. The dealer may have decided (with your approval at the time?) to exclude the cam belt change from the figures to keep the price down.

I think I was offered the option to exclude the cam belt change from my service plan when I bought a second hand 400h years back: I did not know how long I was going to keep the car for, and therefore did not want my monthly costs to be unnecessarily inflated by the cost of the cam belt change. As it happened, I ended up not only keeping the car longer then planned, but also covered far more miles than anticipated, meaning that 1) I had to pay for the cam change and 2) I had to pay for at least one extra service myself outside of the service plan.

All, thanks for your replies.

It turns out that it is covered but they'll do it on the 20k service next year which is the last of my 6 contract services...I'm still under 100k miles so I'll settle for that.

The guy I previously spoke to was the a Central Motorline phone operator - so probably best to talk to the local dealer.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Richard