Nigel-Lexus Owner

RX450h 2012 Front Suspension issues with wishbone bushes starting to perish

Dear Lexus owners,

I had my first Lexus service and although very good customer service, I was left with a bitter taste.

I was send a video showing rubber cracked on the front wishbone bushes and a quote of £1,600+ to replace both front arms.

I have then called a mechanic I know from a long time and he inspected the car to find out there is nothing wrong with the front wishbone bushes apart from the rubber is cracked. There are no movements or noises when driving the car. In fact the mechanic told me most of RX450h and RX400's are going to still have the original front wishbone bushes although they have cracked rubber. He told me the cracks on my car seems to be there since 2014 or 2015 when the car was 2 or 3 years old and he told me they could stay like that for another 5 to 6 years.

I would highly appreciate your knowledge on the matter and if someone got the front wishbone bushes replaced at what age and mileage please?

Thank you in advance.

42 minutes ago, Nigel-Lexus Owner said:

Dear Lexus owners,

I had my first Lexus service and although very good customer service, I was left with a bitter taste.

I was send a video showing rubber cracked on the front wishbone bushes and a quote of £1,600+ to replace both front arms.

I have then called a mechanic I know from a long time and he inspected the car to find out there is nothing wrong with the front wishbone bushes apart from the rubber is cracked. There are no movements or noises when driving the car. In fact the mechanic told me most of RX450h and RX400's are going to still have the original front wishbone bushes although they have cracked rubber. He told me the cracks on my car seems to be there since 2014 or 2015 when the car was 2 or 3 years old and he told me they could stay like that for another 5 to 6 years.

I would highly appreciate your knowledge on the matter and if someone got the front wishbone bushes replaced at what age and mileage please?

Thank you in advance.

Worth noting that Lexus will highlight any issues no matter how small. They are very thorough on their inspection as Ive been told it can come back to bite them if they dont report on everything seen. The quote I believe is generated automatically.

Replacing the arms is easier than removing the bushes hence why the quote is so high. A decent mechanic should be able to change the bushes with a press machine. 

As the car is 6, nearly 7 years old, its not unheard of to have rubber perishing. Mine was 5 years old when I sold it and it did not have any bushes crack so I would personally change them out.

• Like 1

Two MOTs ago my 400h had an advisory that the rear bushes on the front arms were cracked and had excessive movement, which I witnessed for myself during the MOT. I bought a pair of arms and then proceeded to change them which was a right ball ache. It involved jacking the engine up as high as possible to remove the engine support to get at the mounting bolts or the arm. I then looked at the on line workshop manual and noted that the first step was "Remove the engine and transmission complete" glad I didn't get Lexus to quote for it.

Suspension lower arm.PNG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had the same advisory on my 2012 RX when it went in for a service in January.  I asked if I could have a look at the car up on the ramps and it was very minor crazing rather than splitting but the mechanic advised me that (as Rayaans said) they are trained to report anything that is outside of tolerance.  I was quoted £1,200 for what apparently is a 9 hour job.  I was thinking £300 tops so good job I was sitting down, when I asked for a price ( I ad been thinking of getting them done there and then)!  They said they'll keep them under review so no need to change them yet.

This has also been covered in a previous string see:

There's a link to a bulletin, which is very useful.  I think mine fall somewhere between new and the first advisory picture but definitely not at replacement stage.  I was wondering about cleaning them up when the weather improves and using Sonax Gummi Pfleger on them https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonax-03400000-SONAX-Rubber-Care/dp/B002MZZNU8/ref=pd_sim_263_4/257-0749265-7524611?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002MZZNU8&pd_rd_r=67212f54-1c20-11e9-86d5-2d0b37739c40&pd_rd_w=bWoww&pd_rd_wg=AFGnn&pf_rd_p=1e3b4162-429b-4ea8-80b8-75d978d3d89e&pf_rd_r=GSXCQ4MTRTPT9KY7XQBD&psc=1&refRID=GSXCQ4MTRTPT9KY7XQBD.  Has anybody tried this on bushes?

If you search for superpro, you can see my posts about having polyurethane bushes fitted.

I second what Gliderpilot said, front lower arm swapping is a pig of a job. Even if you just swap the arms with bushes pre-installed.

The engine has to be lifted and the subframe dropped to allow the engine mounts to be removed and get access to the bolts securing the front arm mountings.

• Thanks 1