Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h 2012 Front Suspension issues with wishbone bushes starting to perish

Dear Lexus owners,

I had my first Lexus service and although very good customer service, I was left with a bitter taste.

I was send a video showing rubber cracked on the front wishbone bushes and a quote of £1,600+ to replace both front arms.

I have then called a mechanic I know from a long time and he inspected the car to find out there is nothing wrong with the front wishbone bushes apart from the rubber is cracked. There are no movements or noises when driving the car. In fact the mechanic told me most of RX450h and RX400's are going to still have the original front wishbone bushes although they have cracked rubber. He told me the cracks on my car seems to be there since 2014 or 2015 when the car was 2 or 3 years old and he told me they could stay like that for another 5 to 6 years.

I would highly appreciate your knowledge on the matter and if someone got the front wishbone bushes replaced at what age and mileage please?

Thank you in advance.

42 minutes ago, Nigel-Lexus Owner said:

Dear Lexus owners,

I had my first Lexus service and although very good customer service, I was left with a bitter taste.

I was send a video showing rubber cracked on the front wishbone bushes and a quote of £1,600+ to replace both front arms.

I have then called a mechanic I know from a long time and he inspected the car to find out there is nothing wrong with the front wishbone bushes apart from the rubber is cracked. There are no movements or noises when driving the car. In fact the mechanic told me most of RX450h and RX400's are going to still have the original front wishbone bushes although they have cracked rubber. He told me the cracks on my car seems to be there since 2014 or 2015 when the car was 2 or 3 years old and he told me they could stay like that for another 5 to 6 years.

I would highly appreciate your knowledge on the matter and if someone got the front wishbone bushes replaced at what age and mileage please?

Thank you in advance.

Worth noting that Lexus will highlight any issues no matter how small. They are very thorough on their inspection as Ive been told it can come back to bite them if they dont report on everything seen. The quote I believe is generated automatically.

Replacing the arms is easier than removing the bushes hence why the quote is so high. A decent mechanic should be able to change the bushes with a press machine. 

As the car is 6, nearly 7 years old, its not unheard of to have rubber perishing. Mine was 5 years old when I sold it and it did not have any bushes crack so I would personally change them out.

• Like 1

Two MOTs ago my 400h had an advisory that the rear bushes on the front arms were cracked and had excessive movement, which I witnessed for myself during the MOT. I bought a pair of arms and then proceeded to change them which was a right ball ache. It involved jacking the engine up as high as possible to remove the engine support to get at the mounting bolts or the arm. I then looked at the on line workshop manual and noted that the first step was "Remove the engine and transmission complete" glad I didn't get Lexus to quote for it.

Suspension lower arm.PNG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had the same advisory on my 2012 RX when it went in for a service in January.  I asked if I could have a look at the car up on the ramps and it was very minor crazing rather than splitting but the mechanic advised me that (as Rayaans said) they are trained to report anything that is outside of tolerance.  I was quoted £1,200 for what apparently is a 9 hour job.  I was thinking £300 tops so good job I was sitting down, when I asked for a price ( I ad been thinking of getting them done there and then)!  They said they'll keep them under review so no need to change them yet.

This has also been covered in a previous string see:

There's a link to a bulletin, which is very useful.  I think mine fall somewhere between new and the first advisory picture but definitely not at replacement stage.  I was wondering about cleaning them up when the weather improves and using Sonax Gummi Pfleger on them https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonax-03400000-SONAX-Rubber-Care/dp/B002MZZNU8/ref=pd_sim_263_4/257-0749265-7524611?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002MZZNU8&pd_rd_r=67212f54-1c20-11e9-86d5-2d0b37739c40&pd_rd_w=bWoww&pd_rd_wg=AFGnn&pf_rd_p=1e3b4162-429b-4ea8-80b8-75d978d3d89e&pf_rd_r=GSXCQ4MTRTPT9KY7XQBD&psc=1&refRID=GSXCQ4MTRTPT9KY7XQBD.  Has anybody tried this on bushes?

If you search for superpro, you can see my posts about having polyurethane bushes fitted.

I second what Gliderpilot said, front lower arm swapping is a pig of a job. Even if you just swap the arms with bushes pre-installed.

The engine has to be lifted and the subframe dropped to allow the engine mounts to be removed and get access to the bolts securing the front arm mountings.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Digging this post up guys. Just had the same diagnosis on a 2012 F Sport. Dealer wants £2k!!!!! Help please. Really worried as the MOT is also due so really hope they don't fail it on that.

What options do I have and any recommendations on what folk have done to resolve this?? I'm in Leicester so if you happen to know who to recommend would be greatly appreciated.

😞

23 minutes ago, Normski said:

Digging this post up guys. Just had the same diagnosis on a 2012 F Sport. Dealer wants £2k!!!!! Help please. Really worried as the MOT is also due so really hope they don't fail it on that.

What options do I have and any recommendations on what folk have done to resolve this?? I'm in Leicester so if you happen to know who to recommend would be greatly appreciated.

😞

What a Lexus mechanic will pick up and flag to you is a different standard than an MOT tester is looking for. An MOT tester is looking for failure of the bush.

What he may do is mark the bush as "degraded but not excessively so" in an advisory, or "degraded but not causing excess movement". 

So I wouldn't worry too much about cracked rubber because the surface of the rubber can be cracked with age but the bush can still be doing it's job. Until the tester actually comes back with a failure or advises it really should be changed in the next 12 months.

I think the term the MOT testers use to say the bushes are on their last legs is "bush allowing movement but not excessively so" or something like that. Basically the bush is allowing the arm to move but it's not failed...yet. But it will do soon.

My front bushes got changed when I noticed excessive wear on the edges for the front tyres. I looked at the bushes and they were completely shot. So they got replaced with polyurethane bushes that should last quite a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mark. you were correct!! They just passed the car (PHEW!) and added the following comment:

image.thumb.png.8ed37506e48a7011905453c1ac429761.png

So...if lexus don't replace the bush on their own (GRRRR) has anyone got a part number/experience of what I could use so I can get them sorted??

Many thanks once again guys.

• Like 1

I must check to see if this would be covered under the extended warranty.

As regards the poly bushes, I don't know how this affects the ride in a Lexus but this was often done by owners on the BMW forum.  There is was found that they made the ride harsher but were a popular mod as very easy to slide in.  However, I preferred to buy and fit readily available and reasonably priced original  type arms, complete with liquid filled rubber bushes, a not too difficult job.  I am coming to realise  that fitting replacement parts on the RX is much more involved and expensive!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

I am coming to realise  that fitting replacement parts on the RX is much more involved and expensive!  

If you don't want a genuine part then RockAuto have many different alternatives for reasonable money, with rubber bushes. Even the genuine parts aren't too expensive, considering it is a part for a £50k vehicle. The issue with front control arms is the labour needed to replace them - certainly a Lexus dealer will quote you based on the manufacturer's workshop guide, which is engine out and therefore labour intensive. An independent hopefully will charge a lot less as they will only raise the engine and not remove it but it still isn't a 15 minute job.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:44 PM, Barry14UK said:

I must check to see if this would be covered under the extended warranty.

As regards the poly bushes, I don't know how this affects the ride in a Lexus but this was often done by owners on the BMW forum.  There is was found that they made the ride harsher but were a popular mod as very easy to slide in.  However, I preferred to buy and fit readily available and reasonably priced original  type arms, complete with liquid filled rubber bushes, a not too difficult job.  I am coming to realise  that fitting replacement parts on the RX is much more involved and expensive!  

Good question, as if it is covered under extended warranty, then again it makes sense to have it, or to have service plan, as that would definitely cover that. 

4 hours ago, BartLexusFan said:

or to have service plan, as that would definitely cover that. 

A service plan definitely would not cover this - that only covers standard routine maintenance as defined in the service schedule.

The current Lexus extended warranty should cover this as it isn't listed within the exceptions:

645333265_Screenshot2020-10-04at18_25_06.thumb.png.44121aa17f4f493f0394f68871734337.png

5 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

A service plan definitely would not cover this - that only covers standard routine maintenance as defined in the service schedule.

The current Lexus extended warranty should cover this as it isn't listed within the exceptions:

645333265_Screenshot2020-10-04at18_25_06.thumb.png.44121aa17f4f493f0394f68871734337.png

I'm confused now. I've got  quote for service plan from Lexus Cardiff which is £985, which includes two services interim at 90k next year and 100k in two years (however I probably will hit second service in 4 years rather than 2, I do 5000 a year).

Website states there are two plans minor for £245, major for £445 or premium for £33 which includes 2 one minor and one major + 2 MOTs or £29 a month for 2 one minor and  one major.

It's says on the sheet it's a National Service Plan and includes all parts and labour, so to my understanding anything that comes up on that servicec but I'm probably reading this wrong. 

3 minutes ago, BartLexusFan said:

It's says on the sheet it's a National Service Plan and includes all parts and labour, so to my understanding anything that comes up on that servicec but I'm probably reading this wrong. 

It covers all the labour and parts that are performed as part of the standard service. Anything found that needs additional attention (bulb, wiper blade, brake pads, suspension parts, tyres etc. etc.) are an additional cost, not just for the part but also the labour.

Hi everyone.  

Had same advisory when having my RX 450 H 2012 at Lexus Cheltenham lower suspension arm bushes were going to need replacing in the not to distant future. Had a look myself and found only surface cracks. Anyway decided to replace myself shopped around found pattern parts for about £70 a side did the front struts and shocks at the same time, did the whole lot for less than £500.  Not a hard job either not quite sure where all the lifting the engine and so comes from.

12 hours ago, andy puttick said:

Hi everyone.  

Had same advisory when having my RX 450 H 2012 at Lexus Cheltenham lower suspension arm bushes were going to need replacing in the not to distant future. Had a look myself and found only surface cracks. Anyway decided to replace myself shopped around found pattern parts for about £70 a side did the front struts and shocks at the same time, did the whole lot for less than £500.  Not a hard job either not quite sure where all the lifting the engine and so comes from.

That is interesting, wonder what the differences are?

On 10/2/2020 at 1:01 PM, Normski said:

Thanks Mark. you were correct!! They just passed the car (PHEW!) and added the following comment:

image.thumb.png.8ed37506e48a7011905453c1ac429761.png

So...if lexus don't replace the bush on their own (GRRRR) has anyone got a part number/experience of what I could use so I can get them sorted??

Many thanks once again guys.

Quick update here. THANKFULLY the extended warranty DID cover the replacements with the car now returned back! A MASSIVE relief. So financial disaster averted for a little while longer.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 10:53 AM, Nigel-Lexus Owner said:

Dear Lexus owners,

Thank you in advance.

Hi Nigel

My 2012 has the cracked bushes advisory every year - I told the dealer to replace them and he very sensibly said it was a waste of time becuase they will crack immediately.  They are not problematic in their current state.  MOT soon so I hope I have not just put my foot in my mouth :).

Bren

Another endorsement of the extended warranty scheme. I would suggest that it's not very impressive for Lexus to design the RX450h's front suspension so that you have to take the engine out to repair it. Surely any high mileage car will needs these parts replaced eventually.

On 10/8/2020 at 4:02 PM, GS300h2014 said:

Another endorsement of the extended warranty scheme. I would suggest that it's not very impressive for Lexus to design the RX450h's front suspension so that you have to take the engine out to repair it. Surely any high mileage car will needs these parts replaced eventually.

It's not just Lexus, there are many design faux-pas by manufacturers across the industry. designers think they're clever by packaging cars ever smaller, but don't take into account general maintenance. So you find it ridiculously hard to change things which should be easy to change. Having to remove the entire front end to change a headlamp bulb is probably the worst one I've heard of. But my mechanic was cursing when he did my front wishbones. 

• 2 months later...

I have today been infomed by Lexus Cardiff that split bushes on both front suspension arms on my RX450H are not covered under my extended warranty.  Only when they fail completely or cause MOT failure.  Price quoted to replace both arm assy's £540.67  

I had asked the garage to check a rattle/vibration through the steering column when driving at slow speeds over rough surfaces when I booked an MOT + Service early December but they informed due to an administration error time was not allocated to investigate.  The car was booked in yesterday and the split bushes were found during the vehicle check.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyW said:

I have today been infomed by Lexus Cardiff that split bushes on both front suspension arms on my RX450H are not covered under my extended warranty.  Only when they fail completely or cause MOT failure.  Price quoted to replace both arm assy's £540.67  

I had asked the garage to check a rattle/vibration through the steering column when driving at slow speeds over rough surfaces when I booked an MOT + Service early December but they informed due to an administration error time was not allocated to investigate.  The car was booked in yesterday and the split bushes were found during the vehicle check.

Ask them what would have occurred had they not made an error Anthony.

• Like 1