Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h 2012 Front Suspension issues with wishbone bushes starting to perish

Lexus suggests that front wishbones for RX can only be replaced as a whole unit and are not serviceable. However similar wishbone for Toyota Highlander is serviceable and has the “tablet” rubber bush as spare (see below). This bush should fit RX mk3 and can be installed using an appropriate hydraulic press.

Unfortunately, there is no Toyota replacement for the “candy” bush, and only aftermarket options are available. The longevity of the aftermarket “candy” would depend a lot on the amount and quality of grease you add when replacing it.

Another - and often a better option - is to buy a used part in good condition. For air suspension cars, used wishbones are very difficult to find, but the fixing points of the height sensors can be re-welded on the replacement wishbones.

Rubber bush for Toyota Highlander / RX III:

Toyota part No:48655-08030 Dimensions: 58mm diameter, 62mm height, hole size 14mm

CDE82927-9391-4C32-84E2-83A07A1AB399.thumb.jpeg.69c42aeb05f3d51c54613aee19357aa2.jpeg

Bought the bushes to replace the cracked ones in my 2011 RX, but haven’t managed to do it yet - the car drives well and passes MOT with no advisories.

On 10/8/2020 at 4:02 PM, GS300h2014 said:

Another endorsement of the extended warranty scheme. I would suggest that it's not very impressive for Lexus to design the RX450h's front suspension so that you have to take the engine out to repair it. Surely any high mileage car will needs these parts replaced eventually.

You don’t need to remove the engine - it is just necessary to lift it a few centimetres and support it while the engine mounts are removed to give access to wishbone fixing one side at a time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is the design of these bushes that give the ride that we enjoy as a Lexus owner !

I prefer to source factory original parts but in the case of my LS430 they are now discontinued.

febibest do a fluid filled replacement that is good .

These are a good alternative as our cars repairs get cost prohibitive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 1:16 PM, Phil xxkr said:

Just watched a brilliant YouTube - Easy shock & strut replacement for RX350 450h 2010-2015 wrongwayup. Depending on the cost of the spares this is a great solution? 

Shock and the strut assembly are worth replacing when you have issuers with them (noise, leakage, air bag punctured etc. I had once a completely toast shock absorber with no visible indication of failure, which completely lost damping power. So it is a matter of good diagnostics.

Given the cost of new struts for lexus, the price of wrong diagnosis can bite.

After strut replacement, it is required to do wheel alignment, because the lower strut bracket allows for some adjustment, and it is very difficult to put the new strut to exactly the same angle as the old one.

Having said the above, replacing struts does not cover the wishbone and its bushes.

• 1 month later...

Regarding having to lift the engine to get access .

The video that lexus sent me on my inspection, the nut that holds the bolt is on top of the bush, the bolt will slide down when the nut is removed. 

I think they may have been changed before, and originally the nut is removed on the underside and the bolt slides in/ out  from the top, hence needing the clearance?

Putting it back the other way, there's room to remove the nut and bolt without lifting the engine...

1642523471171.jpg