Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid RX should i?

Hi everyone, i am looking about getting back into the lexus fold, i have had my BMW V8 fun and the 650I is no longer going to be practical enough due work relocating later in the year and needing to get estate or SUV as i will need the load space.  Shame Lexus doesn't make a large estate car, but they make the RX hybrid, what is great as i don't need to go down the diesel route???  I haven't actually been to see and sit in one yet.  But i have alway admired them, when i see one. 

I have seen a few that i am tempted to go look at, there is a 400h SE at a Lexus Ipswich what is only 45 miles away up around 8K with 120k on the clock, this seems to be expensive considering the miles?  But it is a used Lexus approved car.  There are a couple other for around that price with fewer miles say 80k at an independent dealers or i can cough up an extra 2k and get one from Lexus with those kind of miles and SE-L trim.

The other question is, is it worth trying to get 450h over a 400h?  Pro and cons for either would be good cheers.

• Like 1

£8000 from a Lexus dealer - especially if the Approved status means you can nail them into attending to all outstanding issues and get a no-quibble warranty - doesn't seem super expensive to me. The SE might still have satnav and/or Mark Levinson stereo if the original buyer specced them.

I'm buying an RX right now too (replacing a V8 LS400 in my case), so my knowledge is limited. I suspect I've been looking at the same adverts as you.

I'd pay a little bit more and go or a 450h, doesn't need a cambelt at 100k miles (cir £500) as it uses a chain and also the engine is more efficient giving better MPG. 2009 was the change over date.

• Like 1

Love my RX450h, best of everything. Very comfortable with loads of power and good economy. Haven't driven a 400h, but am sure you will enjoy whichever you choose. I would try and buy a car with Lexus warranty on it as it is comprehensive and the dealer can get anything authorised pronto. I commented last week when my car was mot'd that the reverse camera was slow. New media unit ordered which would have cost nearly 2 grand without warranty. 

Good luck in finding the right car. 

RX450h is an improvement on RX400h. Both are great cars. I have tried RX400h and find the RX450h better for me. 

If you are getting something make sure it is either just after 100K with Lexus history and stamps or something below 75K. The 100K could be pricey service.

All the best. Keep us posted.

Doesn't sound like you're too far from me Aaron.

If you'd like to look at a 450 and see if you think it's worth the extra cost over a 400 then you'd be welcome to come and have a chat and a play with mine. Easier to take it in than when you've got a salesman alongside you, and I can give you my real world thoughts about its pros and cons.

Mine's a '14, but I don't think there's too much different on the earlier pre-facelift models.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

My recollection with the 450 is that the 60000 miles service is the biggest as spark plugs are changed necessitating part of the exhaust dropping. 

Les is correct, as you'll see below ((they got the mileages wrong which is why I crossed them out):

sp.thumb.png.7b5756a72cd44034576b0410d689940e.png

13 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Doesn't sound like you're too far from me Aaron.

If you'd like to look at a 450 and see if you think it's worth the extra cost over a 400 then you'd be welcome to come and have a chat and a play with mine. Easier to take it in than when you've got a salesman alongside you, and I can give you my real world thoughts about its pros and cons.

Mine's a '14, but I don't think there's too much different on the earlier pre-facelift models.

Thats not a bad idea at all mate.  One of the issues i have been finding is all the RX400h and RX450h for sale are about 50+ miles away

8 hours ago, inflames said:

Thats not a bad idea at all mate.  One of the issues i have been finding is all the RX400h and RX450h for sale are about 50+ miles away

If you find a good one it's worth the travelling to get it. I got mine from an independent dealer about 50 miles away.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, inflames said:

One of the issues i have been finding is all the RX400h and RX450h for sale are about 50+ miles away

You have to be prepared to travel for the good ones. We bought our RX300 from a place 210 miles away and our current RX450h came from Lexus Teeside, a journey of about 106 miles (but because of the route, over two hours) away.

9 hours ago, inflames said:

My recollection with the 450 is that the 60000 miles service is the biggest as spark plugs are changed necessitating part of the exhaust dropping. 

Travelling to find the right car can pay dividends. In 2014 I bought a 1500 miles mini clubman with full John Cooper works body kit for £14000,. The previous week the car had been advertised for £20000 at another branch. I put 20000 miles on it a d traded it for £650 more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

You have to be prepared to travel for the good ones. We bought our RX300 from a place 210 miles away and our current RX450h came from Lexus Teeside, a journey of about 106 miles (but because of the route, over two hours) away.

I travelled 160 miles each way to view the RX 300 I bought. It was well worth the journey. Whenever I travel for a car, I view it as a day out - that way you do not feel pressurised to buy. The downside is that if you travel and the description by the seller is tosh, it can be very annoying. Ask lots of questions - if the answers are not forthcoming then don't bother looking. You will almost certainly have to travel unless you are very patient for one to come up in your area.

Just my thoughts, others may disagree.

10 hours ago, inflames said:

I'll send you a message with my location and an idea of when I'm free.

Jumpingjehovahs on here (who I knew through another forum) kindly did the same for me before I got my RX, it was very useful.

Ipswich are my nearest dealership and I found them to be very helpful there, but they didn't have the right car even amongst their other branches. It's quite useful that they currently have both a 400 and 450 at present, so you can make a side-by-side comparison.

I ended up travelling 100+ miles down to Kent for mine and had been considering a trip up to Bradford.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I travelled 160 miles each way to view the RX 300 I bought. It was well worth the journey. Whenever I travel for a car, I view it as a day out - that way you do not feel pressurised to buy.

Good advice there from David.

Something else to bear in mind is to ask if the car is prepared and can be driven away that day so that you drive to the dealers in your old one, do the deal, then drive home in your new one, which is what we did.

I have traveled for cars in the past, now a days i limit myself to about 100 miles as i have wasted time doing this in the past but i have also bought a couple of cracking cars in the past for traveling.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I travelled from Newcastle where I was working and living at the time, to Leicester in a hire car as my LS400 had been written off. Agreed to buy it and travelled back to pick it up the following weekend before returning to West Sussex. I put a £200.00 deposit on it to hold it and could have had it move from Leicester to Newcastle but decided against that as wanted to have chance to see other vehicles .I looked at an older RX350 but wasn't too impressed but did buy the first 450 I saw, after scouring the country for possible cars.

• Like 1

It will be a 2012 face-lift model RX450h for me when I find the right one. 

I don't want to hijack this thread but this might be of use to the OP as well as me and other potential purchasers. I would like some pointers when buying. I will buy from a Lexus dealer so will get the warranty and I will also get the once-a-year hybrid check to extend the hybrid warranty.

What else to do/look for when buying?

1. RAC Vehicle Check. Basic, Comprehensive or Advanced (mainly to check that the vehicle hasn't had any serious accident damage)

2. Check has full service record. (Just stamps in book OR insist on invoices?)

3. Check M.O.T. History.

4. Would you accept the word of the Lexus dealer that they've done an outstanding finance check or would you pay to do your own?

5. I'm looking for a 'Luxury' but would consider an 'Advanced' which comes with either a Sun Roof or Pan Roof but I think I read somewhere that these are susceptible to cracking if a substantial stone hits them and also potential for water leaks and creaking as not as rigid as full metal roof.

All comments and suggestions welcome on the 5 points above plus any other advice. Many thanks as always.

• Like 1

I recently bought a 2014 Luxury, following five weeks when I had a 2014 Advance, slightly older and with higher mileage (although still fairly low) but I exchanged it as I found some problems which I was surprised to see on an approved model from a Lexus dealer. The exhaust had suffered some damage and an undertray had been scraped then secured with cable ties, making me question about how it had been looked after (that car is now for sale at an independent dealer).

In day-to-day use a Luxury doesn't appear to lose anything from the Advance. LED headlights are probably the main thing, but the standard ones are still good.

Advance has a different bumper and wheels, all a matter of taste. A lot of Luxury models seem to be upgraded with under-run trays front and rear and roof-rails, again up to you whether you like them or not - I'm happy without them on mine.

The Advance I had was solid Velvet Black, which looks to be difficult to keep clean and it certainly shows swirl marks from polishing. Metallic Celestial Black seems to be a bit more forgiving, as I imagine would be any of the lighter shades.

My Advance had a panoramic roof. It may be coincidence, or perhaps down to tyres, but I think the Luxury without it drives more tightly. A little more headroom too. A sunroof would have been nice, and is probably the best compromise.

I only saw a stamped service book on mine, but I think any dealer can print off the previous history.

I personally didn't bother with any checks beyond what the Lexus dealer does, but I wish I'd looked at the first one a bit more closely myself before I agreed to buy it.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1