Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

7 hours ago, gb1600e said:

@Northern isf so what was the mistake you made. Anything we need to know to avoid doing the same.

Pretty sure it was 'just' a reverse polarity situation with the Battery but the car was not very forgiving and it incurred major damage to the electronics!

Be careful out there people!  Check, Double Check and Check again if you don't want to be in this painful/expensive predicament.

paul m.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gb1600e said:

@Northern isf so what was the mistake you made. Anything we need to know to avoid doing the same.

I highly doubt anyone will do the same 😂, basically I stored the car away for winter the Battery lost a bit of voltage and seing as it was 10 years old i thought I'd get a new one, I presumed the terminals were the same way around as the stock Battery big mistake it blew my fusible link,22 blade fuses and the main ECU. Yes I really did that I can't even look at a Battery anymore!

• Sad 1

On 3/24/2019 at 6:04 PM, Northern isf said:

Bit too far for me I'm up near Leeds, ive been told it's a lexus dealership only job to code the ECU to the car not sure of how true it is but I've tried a few auto electrians and that's there reckoning, its booked in for Wednesday at lexus Leeds hopefully it won't be too long of a job

Hope u get it sorted, was at Westfield Lexus last week (wife’s car for service) their rate is/was £57 + per hour.....the F is in next month for service. Big service £353 all in......obviously not the plug service 😉......that was £500 when it was done. 

Good luck with it 🤞🏻

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

Hope u get it sorted, was at Westfield Lexus last week (wife’s car for service) their rate is/was £57 + per hour.....the F is in next month for service. Big service £353 all in......obviously not the plug service 😉......that was £500 when it was done. 

Good luck with it 🤞🏻

Cheers! Well it's been in since last Wednesday I've rang a few times but it's not done yet, they did reckon about two hours to recode it plus I needed a service and mot.

I'm getting a bit anxious now it's been a long time and I'm not a fan of big bills especially when I've not been informed if there's extra work involved

35 minutes ago, Northern isf said:

Cheers! Well it's been in since last Wednesday I've rang a few times but it's not done yet, they did reckon about two hours to recode it plus I needed a service and mot.

I'm getting a bit anxious now it's been a long time and I'm not a fan of big bills especially when I've not been informed if there's extra work involved

On a plus side, they can’t stiff u without your consent, as for hours worked I think I’d insist on documented time not on say so.......stand your ground with the bill especially if it’s risen from quotation.

all the best with it 🤞🏻 

• Like 1

It's fixed two weeks later so was expecting a huge bill or more bad news but turned out not so bad very reasonable, definitely been a lesson though I won't even be changing the TV remote battery's from now on. Good service from lexus leeds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Northern isf said:

It's fixed two weeks later so was expecting a huge bill or more bad news but turned out not so bad very reasonable, definitely been a lesson though I won't even be changing the TV remote battery's from now on. Good service from lexus leeds.

Glad you got sorted at a price you were OK with.  But what was the delay? did they struggle to sort it out or just struggle to fit it in/

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gb1600e said:

Glad you got sorted at a price you were OK with.  But what was the delay? did they struggle to sort it out or just struggle to fit it in/

Not too sure to be honest I was just happy it turned out relatively cheap, they couldn't service it though it's too low for their ramps so it's going to have to be raised a tad, probably for the best as it's not a fan of speed bumps or even crisp packets the way it stands! 

• 1 year later...

Little update on the m3 swap the engines been fully rebuilt along with forged pistons arp headbolts and full vanos overhaul, cars currrently getting this fitted along with a 6 speed box and brand new motorsport lsd with 3.45 ratio, im also getting every component which will go underneath the car either refreshed and powder coated or replaced.

Then it will be back to my workshop were im going to give it a respray in the original dakar yellow as its quite faded in places and its got the usual bmw factory orange peel paint job which i hate, should all be done by end of august i did intend on it being ready a month ago but the engine rebuild place shut down due to the current situation, anyway a few pics if anyones interested.

received_618519718784784.jpeg

received_1853589721442137.jpeg

received_717555169008401.jpeg

received_706184503514916.jpeg

received_568788570342245.jpeg

received_2696793020647025.jpeg

received_260365321935709.jpeg

received_3449958085037965.jpeg

received_304908004016551.jpeg

received_286171025919598.jpeg

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Absolutely love that, and the colour is spot on. Can’t wait to see the next instalment and the finished article!

Can never understand why BMW never did a M3 estate until now, Merc and Audi always did well with AMG c-class and the RS4 avant.

Had a M5 e61 estate as a daily a few years back, and loved it apart from its homing device to the service dept at the local dealers.

Must admit the thought of the new M3 estate, with a manual box, if you can get one, is very tempting.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Killysprint said:

Absolutely love that, and the colour is spot on. Can’t wait to see the next instalment and the finished article!

Can never understand why BMW never did a M3 estate until now, Merc and Audi always did well with AMG c-class and the RS4 avant.

Had a M5 e61 estate as a daily a few years back, and loved it apart from its homing device to the service dept at the local dealers.

Must admit the thought of the new M3 estate, with a manual box, if you can get one, is very tempting.

Im a bit jealous i love the e60 v10 was the choice between the lexus but after a bit of research i was put off a little with the issues, got to admit i still look at them for sale that wailing v10 gives me goosebumps infact its still not off the cards yet.

Also got a soft spot for the b5 rs4 but again there temperamental one of my fave looking cars defo in my top 10, im not a supercar lover at all much prefer something i can chuck my dog and kid in. 

image.thumb.jpeg.29d780895d81bc382a270bb0f22d1532.jpegGreat from the back, just shut your eyes when you walk past the front.....

F02DF721-53C5-404C-AF81-9A98A53509C2.thumb.jpeg.b564da4440cce8edf3986f4f46fb45d7.jpegLiked a drink. Liked a trip to the local dealers, fortunately had a warranty. Was the reason I bought a Lexus. But was bloody epic to drive. Off the mark not that quick but once on it absolutely flew. And the sound 😍

• Like 1

Looks awesome that Wayne, not watched the videos yet. Where did you get the engine rebuilt at? I help out at a competition engine builders in N. Yorks and they do a lot of bmw stuff, quite a lot of it for other companies. My weekend toy is also an old BMW and i've done the engine on that (machine work and modifications done where i help out though!)

Bet you cant wait for the first drive!

Also love the e61 m5, wouldnt have the balls to own one though, same with the v8 m3, we get so many engine failures for both of them in to sort out, most requiring new cranks as you cant grind them and there's no undersize bearings available! Being that either one would be my daily driver i just couldn't afford to run either should i get a troublesome one, which is where the ISF stepped in!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scott-o said:

Looks awesome that Wayne, not watched the videos yet. Where did you get the engine rebuilt at? I help out at a competition engine builders in N. Yorks and they do a lot of bmw stuff, quite a lot of it for other companies. My weekend toy is also an old BMW and i've done the engine on that (machine work and modifications done where i help out though!)

Bet you cant wait for the first drive!

Also love the e61 m5, wouldnt have the balls to own one though, same with the v8 m3, we get so many engine failures for both of them in to sort out, most requiring new cranks as you cant grind them and there's no undersize bearings available! Being that either one would be my daily driver i just couldn't afford to run either should i get a troublesome one, which is where the ISF stepped in!

Cheers Scott, 

Its a company called M-power motorworks down bristol a guy called Josef he knows his stuff on bmws. 

Yea i do love bmws had a fair few, but the new ones after the e46 seem to be riddled with issues. 

Likewise on the v10 i may own one in the future but only for occasional use. Youve got the 2002 right? Any more plans with it? 

13 hours ago, Northern isf said:

Cheers Scott, 

Its a company called M-power motorworks down bristol a guy called Josef he knows his stuff on bmws. 

Yea i do love bmws had a fair few, but the new ones after the e46 seem to be riddled with issues. 

Likewise on the v10 i may own one in the future but only for occasional use. Youve got the 2002 right? Any more plans with it? 

Aye ive had an e46 and it rusted itself away. Its a shame they either have bad rust issues or bad engine issues, or both!

Yeh the 2002 is mine, it's a never ending project that one, forever developing it. I've just been fitting a slightly larger alternator on it with the electrics i've added seemingly being too much for the original and figuring out how to fit proper droplinks on the front etc.

Noticed youve just started a thread on Pistonheads, i've a big one on there for the 2002 as well!

9 hours ago, scott-o said:

Aye ive had an e46 and it rusted itself away. Its a shame they either have bad rust issues or bad engine issues, or both!

Yeh the 2002 is mine, it's a never ending project that one, forever developing it. I've just been fitting a slightly larger alternator on it with the electrics i've added seemingly being too much for the original and figuring out how to fit proper droplinks on the front etc.

Noticed youve just started a thread on Pistonheads, i've a big one on there for the 2002 as well!

Yea ive had a few e46 330ds still got one now this one is rust free even the rear arches,

Cool send me a link on there please big fan of the 2002 definitely interested. 

53 minutes ago, Northern isf said:

Yea ive had a few e46 330ds still got one now this one is rust free even the rear arches,

Cool send me a link on there please big fan of the 2002 definitely interested. 

I loved mine, stuck 60k on it whilst I had it and nothing went wrong other than the rust everywhere, well I got a new clutch and flywheel as it started slipping but that's just wear and tear. It was a manual 330cd facelift, was sad to see it go, went through quite a few life changes whilst I had it and felt it always had my back. 

Link below, you'll see ye old faithful E46 in the opening post haha

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1685552

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scott-o said:

I loved mine, stuck 60k on it whilst I had it and nothing went wrong other than the rust everywhere, well I got a new clutch and flywheel as it started slipping but that's just wear and tear. It was a manual 330cd facelift, was sad to see it go, went through quite a few life changes whilst I had it and felt it always had my back. 

Link below, you'll see ye old faithful E46 in the opening post haha

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1685552

Cool thanks, yep the gearbox went on mine but it does get something hammer.