Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello folks,

Just thought I'd say I've sold my LS to a very nice chap from Glasgow.  I had the car for two years and it was brilliant.  The best car I've had to date!

Unfortunately practicality (children!) has LED me to sell.  I need a car to carry bikes, beach gear and all the stuff you may wish to take on holiday so I have bought a VW Sharan.  

This has always been and still is a very friendly and helpful forum and long may it continue.

My journeys now down to Sennen just won't be the same (but now I can take four bikes).

All the best

Nick

Kids and bikes do not go with an LS.  I was lucky enough when I had my first LS to have a Passat Estate (great for bikes, horrible to drive).

Now got a Saris Bones, but they only carry 3 bikes.

Well maybe when the kids have grown up you can come back to the LS

Best of luck and the journey to Sennen is always worth it, no matter the vehicle.

I'm glad you've sold it to someone decent and it hasn't gone to Dudley! Unfortunately our trips to Sennen have to be in the estate because of the dog, I'm not having wet sand in my pride and joy!

14 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Kids and bikes do not go with an LS.  I was lucky enough when I had my first LS to have a Passat Estate (great for bikes, horrible to drive).

Now got a Saris Bones, but they only carry 3 bikes.

Well maybe when the kids have grown up you can come back to the LS

Best of luck and the journey to Sennen is always worth it, no matter the vehicle.

Hi Pete, what is the Saris Bones like? Have recently received mine for Italy road trip next month. Haven't unboxed it yet and am bit nervous it will be difficult to use and assemble (won't assemble it until I get to Italy since it stops you being able to use the boot) It's not going on the Lexus unfortunately. Hopefully the Youtube video they have will explain enough? 

Thanks

Alex 

Ahh thanks everyone!  I will be back I'm sure.  Alex I have a Saris Bone and it was very steady on the back of the LS.  I was carrying my road bike, my wifes hybrid and a 24" Islabike.   In the boot along with all our bags etc I had another 20" bike with the wheels taken off.  The Saris is great and once you've fitted it it's easy to get on and off.  Make's the LS very long though.  I went to Skye and back with no issues.  It maybe worth getting some 3M clear tape to stick where you will put the straps and where the sponge parts press against the bumper and boot lid, as it will leave slight marks.  

No it didnt last long and I had a few calls within hours.  The chap who bought it was a clear enthusiast and had been a 400 owner for 5 years.  My car, well his, really was a good one.

Certainly Sennen will be worth it but powering out of the Cove wont be quite the same!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickd said:

Ahh thanks everyone!  I will be back I'm sure.  Alex I have a Saris Bone and it was very steady on the back of the LS.  I was carrying my road bike, my wifes hybrid and a 24" Islabike.   In the boot along with all our bags etc I had another 20" bike with the wheels taken off.  The Saris is great and once you've fitted it it's easy to get on and off.  Make's the LS very long though.  I went to Skye and back with no issues.  It maybe worth getting some 3M clear tape to stick where you will put the straps and where the sponge parts press against the bumper and boot lid, as it will leave slight marks.  

No it didnt last long and I had a few calls within hours.  The chap who bought it was a clear enthusiast and had been a 400 owner for 5 years.  My car, well his, really was a good one.

Certainly Sennen will be worth it but powering out of the Cove wont be quite the same!!

completely forgot to say goodbye and good luck Nick! (How rude of me lol) Thanks for all the information about the Bones and for warning about the marks. Unfortunately we are going in my car not the Lexus ☹️ so length isn't a worry. 

3 hours ago, nickd said:

Saris Bone and it was very steady on the back of the LS. 

Is rock steady, as Nick says.  The major exercise is getting the tie ropes sorted as they are rather long.  Agree with the 3M tpae, otherswise you might chip the piant (like I did).

Good to go at over 70mph, once fitted, and after 5 to 10 miles just check the straps.

I assume you will have tail light plate mounted, as the rear clusters are pretty well hidden if if you mount the Saris arms as high as they will go.

59 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Is rock steady, as Nick says.  The major exercise is getting the tie ropes sorted as they are rather long.  Agree with the 3M tpae, otherswise you might chip the piant (like I did).

Good to go at over 70mph, once fitted, and after 5 to 10 miles just check the straps.

I assume you will have tail light plate mounted, as the rear clusters are pretty well hidden if if you mount the Saris arms as high as they will go.

I have a 2010 A class Pete and tbh I haven’t considered the fact that it might obscure the rear lights? Am guessing that a tail light plate is another set of tail lights on the front of the bike rack?  Maybe the one I got is different to yours? 

B55D2E74-E3D7-45EF-B571-E8D8DAB0595D.jpeg

17 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

I have a 2010 A class Pete and tbh I haven’t considered the fact that it might obscure the rear lights? Am guessing that a tail light plate is another set of tail lights on the front of the bike rack?  Maybe the one I got is different to yours? 

B55D2E74-E3D7-45EF-B571-E8D8DAB0595D.jpeg

I have this Saris, but the one with three bike mounts.   I have tow bar light fittings, so easy to mount a Halfords tail plate.

I have carried bikes in daytime without the extra lights, but would be nervous about night time. I drove behind a Volvo V4 last year and in the fading light almost impossible to see when he was braking, indicating, so kept my distance.

Also have a few bungees to secure the front wheel, and stop it from knocking bodywork.

22 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I have this Saris, but the one with three bike mounts.   I have tow bar light fittings, so easy to mount a Halfords tail plate.

I have carried bikes in daytime without the extra lights, but would be nervous about night time. I drove behind a Volvo V4 last year and in the fading light almost impossible to see when he was braking, indicating, so kept my distance.

Also have a few bungees to secure the front wheel, and stop it from knocking bodywork.

In that case I should be fine since I won't be taking the bikes far and since the days are getting longer now it's unlikely I'd end up in the dark with them.  Have already thought about a strap to secure the wheel. Thanks for all the help Pete.