Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First start after 3 years standing outside...

...and - of course - it started on the first turn of the key. Did you even doubt it?

Perhaps needed a couple of extra seconds to get the fuel from the tank, but to say I was chuffed is an understatement. 🙂 It ran smoothly but quite rich (guessing from the exhaust smell) for a few minutes but then that settled down. Came up to temp; warm air into the cabin. Even the brakes are OK, although I might get them skimmed.

It's a '97/98 Mk4 that I bought and put off the road while driving my other LS. (Silly, but it seemed to make sense at the time.) Photo is from just before I parked it up.

Just got to get a deep clean done to get the muck/leaves/etc and see how it goes at the MOT station.

Cost so far: £80 for a Battery. More to follow!

Image9.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Worth resurecting, I would have thought order of the day will be really a full recommisioning,replace anti freeze,  brake fluid, brake clean service, oil service at least and check suspension for bush wear and so on, and the tyres be lucky if they have not perished, certainly will have hardened somewhat.

Good luck.

31 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

I remember this car when it was up for sale-  I don’t know wether you are the seller or you bought it from him - but he was some sort of engineer and had done alot of work to it.

Blimey - your memory is good! Yes, he (the seller) was a BA engineer at Heathrow and he used it to commute from Bedfordshire/Herts. He did everything you'd want, from cambelt/waterpump to spark plugs and a stainless steel replacement for the Y-piece and even £100 at Lexus for the latest CD-ROM for the satnav. Have attached a couple more photos from back then. (I'll add some that show the current state tomorrow.)

This might sound a bit stupid, but I bought it back then because we were about to do a long Euro road trip and I was nervous that my other LS (2000 model) would fail the MOT = cancelled road trip. SO I bought this as a back-up. Naturally the other LS was fine and I've driven that one ever since.

I've been popping in here now and then, but as that LS was running so well, I had little to say. But when I started this one up today, I just had to share. 🙂

Image2.jpg

Image1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wisemonkey said:

Worth resurecting, I would have thought order of the day will be really a full recommisioning,replace anti freeze,  brake fluid, brake clean service, oil service at least and check suspension for bush wear and so on, and the tyres be lucky if they have not perished, certainly will have hardened somewhat.

Good luck.

Yes, essential recommissioning + MOT first and then it will be interesting to see how it feels on the road. My other mk4 is a DHP model, but this is the standard LS which should ride a bit softer.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

It reminds me of the scene in Woody Allen's film "Sleeper" when the VW Beetle starts first time after 200 years or whatever it was!

🙂 I remember that.

It's been parked outside my business unit all this time. (Partly as security, because some unsavoury types had ram-raided the roller-shutter doors on neighbouring units.)

My neighbour has always been doubtful of the Lexus (typical BMW/Mercedes owner - bought a diesel and then stuck 'AMG' badges on it), and was surprised that this LS started so easily and then ran so smoothly. When I just moved it back and forth to check the brakes, and it was fine, I could just about see that he was recalibrating his prejudice. 🙂

All this has been prompted by me buying a fellow forumite's RX400h, and needing to shuffle things around. I'd been feeling guilty about neglecting this LS for so long. Makes me extra happy to stay with the marque.

13 minutes ago, goldtop said:

🙂 I remember that.

It's been parked outside my business unit all this time. (Partly as security, because some unsavoury types had ram-raided the roller-shutter doors on neighbouring units.)

My neighbour has always been doubtful of the Lexus (typical BMW/Mercedes owner - bought a diesel and then stuck 'AMG' badges on it), and was surprised that this LS started so easily and then ran so smoothly. When I just moved it back and forth to check the brakes, and it was fine, I could just about see that he was recalibrating his prejudice. 🙂

All this has been prompted by me buying a fellow forumite's RX400h, and needing to shuffle things around. I'd been feeling guilty about neglecting this LS for so long. Makes me extra happy to stay with the marque.

And as Del Boy often said, "you know it makes sense"!

51 minutes ago, goldtop said:

Running multiple vehicles for no particular reason other than you can. It's the future :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Some more photos (because I'm so chuffed!). That's after round one of washing. Got to get into the door jams and every nook and cranny this weekend.

If anyone has a recommendation of a cleaner that's appropriate to use for the engine covers (which are super dusty after 3 years), please let me know. Don't want to use something that might burn off and stink.

MOT on Monday. Insured at £192/pa (no spare NCB left to use 😞 )

Img_0095.jpg

Img_0100.jpg

Img_0098.jpg

Img_0103.jpg

Hmmm... just sprucing it up for the MOT and now that I've moved it, I think that one of the rear springs may have broken - not much gap for fingers between the arch and tyre. I found an old thread here, and it seems to be exactly the same sort of posture. £50 each plus labour. I'm hoping the MOT garage will do that (they did a full brake replacement on the other LS.) I've got the two HUUUGE workshop manuals, so they don't have to guess at all the necessary work.

Do your door,boot and bonnet jams with waterless polish. Spray it on and brush it in and wipe off and all the muck comes with it and leaves a polished surface so water runs away easily. Engine bay. If its mainly dry dust etc. use a paint brush (1", 2") and a flexible hose on the vacuum to lift every thing off and then  brush on / wipe on "Armorall" satin black and it comes up lovely without looking at all  'blingy'.  Black shoe polish on the tyres.  

• Like 1

MOT result: fail - on that rear spring, as expected. Also on the wiper blades. Can't complain about that.

Bonus Q: should I replace both rear springs, or just the broken one? Both seems the sensible approach, as the other non-broken one is the same age, but the MOT test centre thought only the broken one.

12 hours ago, goldtop said:

Bonus Q: should I replace both rear springs, or just the broken one? Both seems the sensible approach, as the other non-broken one is the same age, but the MOT test centre thought only the broken one.

I had a rear one go about 4 year ago, had just the one replaced, and no problems needing the other one done.

It was my nearside that went, which tends to be the one that hits more potholes and sunken drain covers, so I guess it had more stress.  When it went there was an almight bang, but at the time I did not notice, but was picked up on MOT.

As long as they're reasonably priced I'd do both as there's bound to be differences in 'springiness' of an almost 20-yr old one and a brand new one.

Doing both is smart I think but probably not really needed. I Did it DIY. The spring were only 50£ each for Swedish springs (lesjofors) via Germany. 
Some of the work getting back seat out etc is then once only. 

1 hour ago, Mikaelse said:

Doing both is smart I think but probably not really needed. I Did it DIY.

I think using spring compressors is the most frightening DIY job I've ever done. I've done it on a couple of cars over the years but each time I couldn't help thinking that if this thing lets go, it'll take my hands with it. It's satisfying when the job's done though  :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Herbie said:

I think using spring compressors is the most frightening DIY job I've ever done. I've done it on a couple of cars over the years but each time I couldn't help thinking that if this thing lets go, it'll take my hands with it. It's satisfying when the job's done though  :thumbsup:

Absolutely, have a spring compressor slip and you won't need to visit the dentist ever again!

• Like 1

replacing just the busted one should be ok  ......  one went on mine about 100k miles ago and all seem ok now ( on 218k miles now )

Malc

Yes, after chatting to the MOT guy I decided to do the one. Had it been a front suspension spring, I'd have been more inclined to do the pair as there's far more going on at the front. Will see if it looks/feels wonky!

Curiously, the delay has been the wipers. I had already bought some generics online using the registration number - they don't fit, I'm told. So the mOT garage ordered some - they didn't fit either. So I went down to Lexus and got the Toyota-branded ones. Not too spendy anyway, and I need to get the MOT redone before the retest window ends up costing me another £45.

Should be sorted on Monday. Looking forward to doing some miles in this one after seeing it sitting idle and forlorn for so long.

In others news, I've been driving the car that caused this change - the 2006 RX400h bought from one of our forum buddies. About 500 miles so far. I like it, but ... it's no LS. The LS400 Mk4 was about £49000 new in 2000, and the RX400h was about £36000 in 2006. It shows: not as well engineered nor as luxurious. I'd sort of hoped that the RX might feel like an LS with a hatchback. Not close, even though some of the switchgear and ops are broadly the same. Of course, with just 56,000m, the RX feels 'tighter' and definitely more modern. I'm still getting used to the hybrid system (why is it doing that? What the f*** does that mean? etc) 🙂

46 minutes ago, goldtop said:

In others news, I've been driving the car that caused this change - the 2006 RX400h bought from one of our forum buddies. About 500 miles so far. I like it, but ... it's no LS. The LS400 Mk4 was about £49000 new in 2000, and the RX400h was about £36000 in 2006. It shows: not as well engineered nor as luxurious. I'd sort of hoped that the RX might feel like an LS with a hatchback. Not close, even though some of the switchgear and ops are broadly the same. Of course, with just 56,000m, the RX feels 'tighter' and definitely more modern. I'm still getting used to the hybrid system (why is it doing that? What the f*** does that mean? etc) 🙂

Err... glad you're enjoying it? :ohmy:

In other news, saw 2 W201s today! A late 2.0 and an LE. Both driven by old boys with a trilby on the rear shelf :thumbsup:

Look for my posting a few years ago on how to access the top nuts on the rear springs, there's pics as well. Rear shelf doesn't need to come out.

• Like 1