Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok I am strongly  thinking of buying a 2007 LS460  president  , 166000 miles , but no history  and a frozen touch screen , owner say car drives 100% , but I have been warned  against  it by fellow Lexus enthusiasts,  I could  get the car for under 4k and have 2 k to fix any mechanical  issues,  or buy a 450h with fsh for the same money,  I just feel I would  be missing  out on the Ls , your thoughts  people  would  be highly  appreciated. 

Martin,

Personally, I'd be very wary of a car with no history, and that frozen screen could very expensive to fix. Owning an LS is an absolute pleasure but not at any cost.

Tricky. One of the reasons I was happy to stick with the LS400 was that the 430 and then the 460 just seemed to have more issues.

I would go and drive it, and see if it appeals to you. If it does, then make a cheeky but friendly offer, making it clear that you are taking on a big risk.

Such a car with high miles and any issues is a hard sell, and buyers like you won't be coming along very often.

2 hours ago, black400 said:

This is what I am thinking  , going in at 3500 euro ?

And then you've got the horrendous road tax to pay in the ROI. How much would it be?

• 2 weeks later...

I am buying it 🤣it has a years tax and no warnings on the dash,  plus I will scan it and give it a good look over   but from conversions with owner I will buy it. 

I think you're a very brave man Martin to but a car like that with no history.  I hope it works out ok for you and that the luck of the Irish continues! 🇮🇪🍀

It's small money  for a lot of car , I will book it in for a lexus inspection  and take it from there plus a 3 hour  drive home should  tell me a lot  .

I am basically  buying the car for 2500 euro , owner swears the car runs perfectly,  I will give it the good going over so yes worth  a punt and I have a great mechanic  for work I cant carry out myself. 

Make sure you take it for a good testdrive to see if you like it, I went from a 430 to a 460 and really didn't like the car... the 430 (and400) drive like a Mercedes, IMHO the 460 is totally different and drives like a BMW... nothing wrong with it but the ethos of the car is totally different and won't suit everyone...

Watch this video of my 460 with a worn strut, do this test on all four corners WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, it should be like the first side I bounced...

The front two were gone as well, this, along with electrical issues with the display and the fact I didn't like driving it LED me to sell it on...

So just make sure you like driving it....

• Like 1

No it can't be transferred.  The DVLA have been sneaky with this one because if I sold my taxed car today, I've already paid the Tax for April.  The new owner would also have to pay tax for April (assuming he wants to drive it home/keep it on the road/hasn't got trade plates etc).  Personally, I find it easier to manage my finances paying monthly direct debit for the car tax.  That way, I'm not stiffed for MOT, TAX and Insurance all at the same time.  The little extra you pay is worth it to me.

edit: just read the rest of the thread.  What I said refers to the UK. I don't know about tax rules in Eire.

• Thanks 1