Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

At long, long last I have had my MK4 LS400 front suspension sorted.

The last MOT reported leaking ball joint covers and I've seen the cracks in the lower control arm bushes not to mention the clunk from the driver's side one.

There's a small garage that does tyres and servicing in Caversham, Reading and I regularly source tyres for fitting there, not too far from me, always busy with all sorts of cars in for repair. A conversation a while ago ended up with me entrusting the work to them with me sourcing the parts.

This was the damage:

Lower control arm bushes only - Lexus Birmingham - £95.00

Ball joints - Beck & Arnley (premium) - Rock Auto - £105 including duty, carriage

Tie-rod end x1 - £36 sourced on need to replace by garage

Alignment - £42

Labour - £231 + VAT

Total project bill was £513.00 (I paid the garage £312.00)

I'm delighted with the work and the steering wheel is dead dead centre, no more clunks and everything feels steady and solid.

I was looking at doing the job myself but on this occasion didn't regret leaving it to the professionals.

My motor is also due its annual oil change so I'm just waiting on a sump plug washer.

😊

• Like 2

Very good prices I think, I'd be more than happy with that, plus you know it's all safe now. I'm having all my steering and suspension thoroughly checked on Tuesday, all in preparation for our next European road trip.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Very good prices I think, I'd be more than happy with that, plus you know it's all safe now. I'm having all my steering and suspension thoroughly checked on Tuesday, all in preparation for our next European road trip.

Hi good luck👍 

It’s good where garages are happy fitting customer sourced parts...my Jag indie will do same on wife’s car but I haven’t done that there yet as I’ve fixed a lot of stuff myself. Or he’s best placed to get tricky parts like front uprights.

A useful aspect of this is you can buy parts over months or even years when offers or stock becomes available for later fitting. That spreads the costs. You can control the parts quality more easily too.

I’m having a lot of business relationships with plumbers at the moment and need resources for my place so it just makes fiscal sense to run efficiently. 😉🧐

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links