Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h - Catalytic Converter Theft

39 minutes ago, Josswallace said:

I understand that although you need a catalytic converer to pass the MOT it is not illegal to drive without one. Does anyone know whether a Lexus 400h would pass the emmissions test without a cat.

According to the latest regs if a catalyst is missing from a vehicle where it was fitted as standard it is an automatic fail, regardless whether it passes the emissions test or not.

5 hours ago, Keeling54 said:

Guess what, someone nicked the Cat from our Rx400h this morning. Thieving scum bags. 

That’s rotten luck, where was your car at the time?

Instead of these “cat guards” maybe somebody ought to market a big heat proof sticker for the cat that’s says  “No Catalyst inside, Empty Exhaust Part”

Or even a sticker on the windows.......I know precious metal prices have risen a lot in the past few months, but it’s getting ridiculous.

I thought I might hang a laminated information sticker, addressed to the crooks, hanging outside each front door when I'm parked in a vulnerable area.....but which language? Albanian? Serb?

What's more interesting, what do you do when you catch them red-handed?  Keep a lasso handy in the car? Whip it around their legs? Citizen's arrest? Auto-pepper spray?

1 hour ago, Boxbrownie said:

That’s rotten luck, where was your car at the time?

Instead of these “cat guards” maybe somebody ought to market a big heat proof sticker for the cat that’s says  “No Catalyst inside, Empty Exhaust Part”

Or even a sticker on the windows.......I know precious metal prices have risen a lot in the past few months, but it’s getting ridiculous.

Parked in Capel Manor college car park, Enfield, my wife and daughter were there looking for 6th form colleges. 

I'm thinking about getting a straight through pipe made up as well as the replacement Cat made up, so they are identical in length and fitment, that way I can run it without a Cat and not have to worry about leaving it parked, I can then swap the pipe for the Cat at MOT time.

I need to find a local fabricator who would knock something up for me.  

My worry is that i'll get the replacement Cat fitted and the scum bags will nick that one as well. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2019 at 3:29 PM, Boxbrownie said:

According to the latest regs if a catalyst is missing from a vehicle where it was fitted as standard it is an automatic fail, regardless whether it passes the emissions test or not.

I did read somewhere that a Cat only needs to be present if the car is emissions tested, if like all hybrids it doesn't need an emissions test the Cat doesn't need to be there. The article I read quoted clauses out of the MOT test, I'll see if I can find it and add a link. 

On 10/8/2019 at 3:29 PM, Boxbrownie said:

I'm still not convinced by this.

Section 8.2.1.1 of the MOT Inspection Manual states that the inspector need only check items that are "visible and identifiable" such as catalytic converters etc., and if it's missing then it's a Major Defect (a fail). HOWEVER - that inspection is ONLY for vehicles that must have a full CAT test. Most cars only need a Basic Emissions Test (BET) and if they pass that then that's it, no need to go on to a CAT test and therefore no need to inspect the cat. It's also worth noting that hybrid cars do not need any sort of emissions testing so it follows that a missing cat should not be a fail.

I also believe that even given the above, the exhaust system still has to be visually inspected but, crucially, only for security to make sure it's not going to drop off and/or that there are no leaks.

cat1.thumb.png.339a0d354387ce02cd51100dd4fc0c23.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

I'm still not convinced by this.

Section 8.2.1.1 of the MOT Inspection Manual states that the inspector need only check items that are "visible and identifiable" such as catalytic converters etc., and if it's missing then it's a Major Defect (a fail). HOWEVER - that inspection is ONLY for vehicles that must have a full CAT test. Most cars only need a Basic Emissions Test (BET) and if they pass that then that's it, no need to go on to a CAT test and therefore no need to inspect the cat. It's also worth noting that hybrid cars do not need any sort of emissions testing so it follows that a missing cat should not be a fail.

I also believe that even given the above, the exhaust system still has to be visually inspected but, crucially, only for security to make sure it's not going to drop off and/or that there are no leaks.

cat1.thumb.png.339a0d354387ce02cd51100dd4fc0c23.png

Totally agree. I've posted the query on a pistonheads 'ask an MOT inspector a question' thread. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My catalytic converter on my RX400h was stolen this afternoon in broad daylight. Thanks to neighbour's cctv you could see the guy took about 30 seconds to take it off. Will check on Monday with Lexus, but see this page https://blog.lexus.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft/ where Lexus say they'll fit new one for £750. BTW my insurance company refused to pay as they said car was too old.

Bad luck. Is there a possibility you could contest the refusal of your insurance company to pay? Presumably they would have paid up if the entire car been stolen so why not a component if this was above the cost of your compulsory contribution in the case of a claim.

• 3 weeks later...

My experience with my RX 400H (June'13 first reg.) is on the previous page. The car has been with a Lexus main dealer for 5 weeks, who have confirmed both cats. as upstream in the engine. and all the scum got was 2 feet of antique exhaust. However it's taken 5 weeks for the replacement section  and associated fittings to be ordered and fitted.

Unfortunately, my independent garage who I've used for 3 years, and trust, gave me an incorrect diagnosis.

Lexus main dealer were seriously helpful, with impeccable comms and I got my car back today.

Incidentally, they gave me a 15min health-check video, which amongst other faults, found a leaking rad. which in time could have caused an overheating engine. Leaking rads apparently not uncommon on the 400H.

Claim on my insurance? Not sure yet, still thinking it through. Back to my independent for future servicing? Not sure, either, as I can't keep increasing my mortgage.

Anyone else with the same problem, you might want to toss up advantages and disadvantages of a courtesy car from your insurance or Lexus customer liaison.

Regarding insurance, if you have comprehensive cover, then your car has been vandalised, and can't be driven legally - they should therefore cover you.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Boswell said:

My experience with my RX 400H (June'13 first reg.) is on the previous page.

RX 400h were made and sold until 2009 I think - how can it be first reg. in June 2013? Are you talking about RX450h?

i can only recommend you just get a straight pipe welded in cheap as chips ,if it fails the mot on not being there keep a spare cat in the boot and just say ok weld that in pheasant then get your pass and then get the same pheasant to cut it out and fit straight pipe back in .this may seem strange but it's cheaper than buying multiple cats .its your money and I'm not really too fused regarding all these oh my god I've had my cat nicked and you should only replace it with a bloody lexus only  gucci cat or your burn in hell Lexus do not make cats people any one will work from any maker , 90% of people on these forums just tout the bible mot regs book which is ok but I live in the real world and its open to common sense on the testers part .what you have to remember the mot test is only valid for 45 minutes. After this you could change anything on the car ,so unless the car is rotten or has perished knackered brake pipes etc and the car looks half decent underneath the tester dosent give a monkeys you have welded in a pipe he's more interested in is it secure and is it leak free  is the car safe to be on the road . And if the spread sheet nerd walking past the viewing window gasped and said omg that's a fail the cats been removed I imagine he would be drinking his dinner through a straw that night . And to the final bit my qualifications I'm a bloody mot tester and your mot guy testing your car is far more interested in real safety items not emmision items he won't be testing.unless you point it out to him then my friend your a idiot and get your wallet out . Ok I've had a bit of a rant I just don't want you guys spending out your hard earned money due to scare monger .

• 2 weeks later...

Please let us know if we can help any of you with discounted Catalytic Converters. This has become such a problem in the UK that we just today reduced our prices further to support the Lexus community. Please do get in touch if you are unable to find the correct Cat for your car on our website.

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/what-is-a-catalytic-converter-and-why-it-is-a-common-target-for-thefts/

• Like 2

Local police held a cat marking event last Saturday. I turned up towards the end of it, expecting it to have been busy, and found that they'd finished early as so few people had turned up. Seems that it's not taken very seriously out here in the sticks.

They weren't able to apply it for me but did give me a kit so I could sort it myself. I doubt it'll be much of a deterrent, but it's worth a try.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, JTP said:

I have been told that the latest Lexus RX450H  convertor contains only 14% of the metals that the RX400 held, so it is not worth stealing

But do the thieves know this?