Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h - Catalytic Converter Theft

I bought a Cat Loc from Lexus, having just had a stolen cat convertor replaced - will wait and see if it's worth the expense. 

Please note though, the plate shown in the parts image is not fitted over the cat which the thieves target, that plate is fitted under the front of the engine where there are another two cats positioned further up inside the body which are more difficult to get to and rarely targeted, and so in my humble opinion, not at risk. 

I'm really frustrated by this situation and feel Lexus are not supporting their customers as much as they could. They can create magnificently complex hybrid machines, but for some reason can't, or won't, come up with a protective shield restricting access to a part that renders the car unusable.

• Like 2

I'm collecting my new to me 2015 Toyota Auris hybrid estate with 25k, tomorrow and hope the cat on that doesn't get stolen!

Read lots of reports, so may happen! Going to look at catman site to see if they do a replacement for an Auris.

James.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had any experience of a cat getting nicked on a 2011 Lexus 450h all the forum seem to pinpoint the 400h? 

ive just bought the 450h and was ignorant to this phenomenon with the cat thefts , would have bought a diesel if I knew otherwise. Any advice gratefully received 

On 7/9/2019 at 8:30 PM, Herbie said:

All petrol cars have cats so I don't see why an RX450h should be targeted any more than any other. Just get the car and enjoy it  :thumbsup:

I will tell you why the RX450h will be targeted more than any petrol car:

1. ALL hybrids are targeted over ordinary petrol cars because the cats are cleaner (for what should be an obvious reason!).

2. The RX series are SUV's and they have a higher ground clearance and it takes only one douchebag to nick it, not two. 

11 minutes ago, sjmachrihanish said:

I will tell you why the RX450h will be targeted more than any petrol car:

1. ALL hybrids are targeted over ordinary petrol cars because the cats are cleaner (for what should be an obvious reason!).

2. The RX series are SUV's and they have a higher ground clearance and it takes only one douchebag to nick it, not two. 

I'll possibly give you No.2, but definitely not your first point.

I left school in 1974 but I still remember from chemistry lessons that a catalyst facilitates a reaction (usually by speeding it up) but is not itself changed in any way by that reaction. So whether the precious metals are from a hybrid or not, or whether they are brand new or 20 years old, they will be as good as the day they were mined.

The media are responsible for propogating the myth that precious metals from hybrids are 'better' and I do wish they would stop doing it and tell the public that ALL petrol cars are targets. It would mean some other folks suffering but at least it would take the heat off us hybrid owners and spread it around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I'll possibly give you No.2, but definitely not your first point.

I left school in 1974 but I still remember from chemistry lessons that a catalyst facilitates a reaction (usually by speeding it up) but is not itself changed in any way by that reaction. So whether the precious metals are from a hybrid or not, or whether they are brand new or 20 years old, they will be as good as the day they were mined.

The media are responsible for propogating the myth that precious metals from hybrids are 'better' and I do wish they would stop doing it and tell the public that ALL petrol cars are targets. It would mean some other folks suffering but at least it would take the heat off us hybrid owners and spread it around.

"Hybrid cars are targeted by thieves because they have two power sources – an electric motor and a petrol or diesel engine – so their catalytic converters are used less frequently to process pollutants. This means the metals inside them are less likely to corrode, so they're more valuable and therefore more desirable to thieves." 

What you learnt in Chemistry might well be correct but the quote above, which can be found everywhere on the internet, echoes what every mechanic I have spoken to, what the police told me when my RX450h cat was stolen (in 30 seconds)  and what Lexus Reading told me when they sold me a new one at cost (half price). More crucially, it is what the thieves believe and that is why hybrids are being targeted more often than non hybrids. If your Chemistry teacher was right, and hybrid cats are not cleaner then I wish the experts out there would spread the word and let the thieves know. Then we can share the joys of this crime wave on equal terms with drivers of ordinary petrol cars! 

So the answer to my question is most definitely targeted , fantastic !! 

ok so what can we do to prevent or at least make it harder for the thieves to nick it. 
lexus currently have not got a cat lock for the RX 450 h but do have one for the 400h .. Why ? If all hybrids in their range is targeted why haven’t they devised a solution to all their models. 

has any one fitted anything to a RX 450h to prevent the cat being stolen ? 

5 minutes ago, Cityflyphil said:

So the answer to my question is most definitely targeted , fantastic !! 

ok so what can we do to prevent or at least make it harder for the thieves to nick it. 
lexus currently have not got a cat lock for the RX 450 h but do have one for the 400h .. Why ? If all hybrids in their range is targeted why haven’t they devised a solution to all their models. 

has any one fitted anything to a RX 450h to prevent the cat being stolen ? 

When Lexus Reading fitted my replacement cat last week I asked what solution they have to prevent RX450h cat theft. His reply was that they had fitted a "Lexus endorsed" kit a to two RX SUV's but that in recent weeks both owners had asked for the kit to be removed because of NVH being transferred to the cabin interior! 

I’m thinking of selling my RX if the situation is as bad as I think it is then it’s only a meter of time before my one goes missing . What an extraordinary situation in 2020 Lexus can’t come up with a decent solution , very frustrating 

2 hours ago, sjmachrihanish said:

If your Chemistry teacher was right, and hybrid cats are not cleaner then I wish the experts out there would spread the word and let the thieves know. Then we can share the joys of this crime wave on equal terms with drivers of ordinary petrol cars! 

That is exactly my very point - and there is no question of my chemistry teacher being wrong, as a very quick googling shows:

catalyst.thumb.png.7e94ea42574de85b418014ef900ef66a.png

2 hours ago, Cityflyphil said:

I’m thinking of selling my RX if the situation is as bad as I think it is then it’s only a meter of time before my one goes missing . What an extraordinary situation in 2020 Lexus can’t come up with a decent solution , very frustrating 

The later the model, the less the problem. The thieves know that a newer hybrid cat has only a fraction of the precious metals inside. With a car registered Dec 2008 I'm a big fat juicy target. On the up side it has a cassette player!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

That is exactly my very point - and there is no question of my chemistry teacher being wrong, as a very quick googling shows:

catalyst.thumb.png.7e94ea42574de85b418014ef900ef66a.png

Cool stuff. At last, a highbrow forum!  I think the specific issues relating to catalytic converters are equally relevant. My guess would be that the sintering that happens as the cat gets subjected to more and more use means the particles are less easily cleaned by those receiving the stolen units and preparing the precious metals for re-use. Can anyone confirm that? It could be the crux of the matter. In the meantime the more of these metals that hit the black market will mean the remainder becomes even more expensive. A double whammy for drivers.

I want to get an auris or ct200 hybrid but are staying put for now until the govt start to put these thiefs away and also act firm with sanctions (big fine/jail time) on cash metal dealers.

4 hours ago, 007M said:

I want to get an auris or ct200 hybrid but are staying put for now until the govt start to put these thiefs away and also act firm with sanctions (big fine/jail time) on cash metal dealers.

Don't blame you. When I bought my RX it was my first hybrid. After driving Yanks for years I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, Still do. Then I got my cat stolen. I had the car for months then got my brakes done at a Toyota garage then a service done at Lexus. Shortly after those two jobs I got my cat nicked, and discovered it was a huge problem everywhere, Europe, North America...

Of course it has put my wife off buying a hybrid. She was impressed but not now, particularly as no one out there appears to be tackling the theft problem.

1 hour ago, sjmachrihanish said:

Don't blame you. When I bought my RX it was my first hybrid. After driving Yanks for years I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, Still do. Then I got my cat stolen. I had the car for months then got my brakes done at a Toyota garage then a service done at Lexus. Shortly after those two jobs I got my cat nicked, and discovered it was a huge problem everywhere, Europe, North America...

Of course it has put my wife off buying a hybrid. She was impressed but not now, particularly as no one out there appears to be tackling the theft problem.

Sorry to hear, so many got cat stolen. A guy had the cat cut twice, 2nd one 22 days after replacing the first - auris hybrid. Not enough police and man power in the councils to enforce the law and catch these thiefs + the violent crimes which is blighting our country. 

Over the past 2 weeks in my area there has been probably over 20 vehicle's break in, breaking door windows stealing contents. I was a victim, I have nothing valuable in the car. Stole under £9 of change, sat nav cable, but not the sat nav? + Half a bottle of my favourite cologne.

My window excess was £90, I guess small in comparison to cat theft. I can imagine the nightmares with cat theft. Wait for replacement in short supply, messed up daily life. Claim on insurance, higher premiums next time & can have big impact on NCD. My current policy is only 1 claim in 5 years without affecting NCD, which I will be changing when it's renewal time to more claims over a 5 years period. 

My car is a Yaris hybrid, think the cat is at the manifold so these scums don't touch my car for the cat. 

22 hours ago, Cityflyphil said:

Is the situation really that bad?  For the first half of 2019 it was less than 3000, when you think there are over 32million cars on the road the odds aren't that bad (0.0001%).  Over 100,000 cars are stolen every year.

Admittedly hotspot area's / type of car will influence the odds, but still you have to be pretty unlucky.

Is this currently more of a problem down the South and South East of you country as I don't seem to hear about this happening up here, maybe for the lack of the numbers of people from a certain part of the EU up here??

… or is that comment going to get me banned or reprimanded on here.... ask the people in Malta what their only crime problem is there.

59 minutes ago, darrude said:

Is the situation really that bad?  For the first half of 2019 it was less than 3000, when you think there are over 32million cars on the road the odds aren't that bad (0.0001%).  Over 100,000 cars are stolen every year.

Admittedly hotspot area's / type of car will influence the odds, but still you have to be pretty unlucky.

If you have a hybrid which the cat is accessible then yes its targeted unlike petrol or diesel cars. Only a victim of a cat theft will know the anguish they go through. I won't get a hybrid which is known to get the cat cut off right now for sure. 

25 minutes ago, flookyk said:

Is this currently more of a problem down the South and South East of you country as I don't seem to hear about this happening up here, maybe for the lack of the numbers of people from a certain part of the EU up here??

… or is that comment going to get me banned or reprimanded on here.... ask the people in Malta what their only crime problem is there.

That is a fair assessment, the thiefs are known to have come from a certain part of EU and they are prevalent in the SouthEast. I live in the southeast so no chance of me getting an auris or ct200 until this is no longer an issue. 

Had my cat stolen  in September only brought the car end of July reported to police had it filmed by next-door all the police did was to give me a crime no. We had all information make of car reg no details of both involved. This was done at 1300 hrs while we were indoors and saw them as we have a shared drive thought it was visiting next door.

Sorry to hear that James what model and year is yours , I’m trying to ascertain whether it’s worth selling up now , despite what darrude says , he may have the resources to keep getting them repaired , it’s an epidemic that needs to be looked at by prosecuting those that buy them off the scum bags in the first place. 
is nothing bloody sacred , a catalytic converter I ask ya 😡!! 

3 hours ago, James Courtney said:

Had my cat stolen  in September only brought the car end of July reported to police had it filmed by next-door all the police did was to give me a crime no. We had all information make of car reg no details of both involved. This was done at 1300 hrs while we were indoors and saw them as we have a shared drive thought it was visiting next door.

Sorry to hear that. It's ridiculous that the police cannot give u an update what they have done with the video been given. Even if they say the number plates were fakes as least you are inform of progress. 

The fact is they view this an a non violent crime so it's low priority. They don't have the man power to investigate thoroughly. The govt failed the country massively over the last 10 years with cuts that had detrimental effects in the UK. They are only now recruiting 20k police officers, what they had cut. Need more. 

Could this be classed as poetic justice.

Catalytic converter thief crushed to death by car

by PAUL MILES

Police probe: The scene at Marshgate Industrial Estate PICTURES: SWNS

A WOULD-be thief was crushed to death when a car fell on him as he tried to steal its catalytic converter.

Gary Gray, 38, died after the jack holding up the Vauxhall Astra came loose — causing the full weight of the vehicle to slam down and suffocate him.

An inquest heard that he had been attempting to steal a part of the car's exhaust after breaking in after hours, which could then be sold on for around £60.

A backpack containing a spanner and cooking oil and a lit torch were also next to the body, with a cutting tool still attached to the blue vehicle.

Death: A fire engine on scene at the car garage where Gary Gray died after being crushed by a car

A police investigation determined the incident was non-suspicious and a coroner concluded that the death was accidental.

The grisly discovery was made by an employee of JB Autos in Swindon, Wiltshire, as he opened up for work on November 15 last year.

Vilfredo Fernandes had also shut up the property the night before and told the inquest that it was empty then.

He said in a statement: 'Prior to finishing, I locked up the compounds, making sure that there were no customers around.

'The next day, I arrived around 8am and I could see a pair of legs on the floor sticking out from under a car which had a black car-jack near the front wheel.

'I called my boss, told him what happened, and he told me to call an ambulance.'

Paramedics then arrived and pronounced Mr Gray dead at the scene.

James Brown, manager of JB Autos, suggested that this was not the first time someone had tried to sneak into the garage compound, located on an industrial estate.

He said in a statement: 'Over the years I have had a number of thefts, so I keep the vehicles unlocked to stop people damaging them and smashing the windows before they realise there's nothing valuable inside them.

'The vehicles are left in gear with the handbrake off to stop the brakes seizing.'

It is believed that this caused the car to move while Mr Gray was fiddling with the Vauxhall's underside with fatal consequences.

• Haha 1