Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My engine malfunction illumination turns out to be a warning about the lack of efficiency of my catalytic converter.

It's a 2001 model with 140k so no great surprise!

not being economical to buy a genuine replacement in the UK, has anyone recently purchased an alternative or one of the more reasonably priced USA imports that they can recommend?

3 hours ago, DaKa said:

My engine malfunction illumination turns out to be a warning about the lack of efficiency of my catalytic converter.

not being economical to buy a genuine replacement in the UK, has anyone recently purchased an alternative or one of the more reasonably priced USA imports that they can recommend?

Are you certain it's a cat? What error code do you have?  An oxygen sensor failure can also bring up cat inefficiency. Failing that, give Paul Frost a call, I'm sure he'll sort you out.

• Thanks 1

I don't come on this forum much because I had to scrap my 430 and have move to a RX400h (hateful object).

Rock Auto in the US have really cheap parts.

140K seems low mileage for a duff CAT - I think it was over 200 on my 430 and then it was not the CAT it was an exhaust blow at the junction of the pipe to the CAT.  After several attempts at welding new parts did the trick.  The O2 sensors may be at fault.  The exhaust blow does not have to be very big to cause problems.

Good luck

Bren

IT was a P0430 code on my reader I believe with the statement "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank2)".

The good news is that I flushed some Wynns and some other stuff through the petrol/Carbs and it passed it's MOT emissions at the second attempt.

Clearly I will need to do something more permanent soon, but at least I can take my time to find the right priced replacement Cat.

• Like 2

This happened to a friend with a GS 300. He lives in France but returns each year for mot, and does not do a high mileage. I advised him to run the car on Bp ultimate or shell v power for a couple of hundred miles before the mot. Result, 4 years later the car still passes the mot each year with nothing else done, although each time his emissions worsen. Still it passed.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 10:51 AM, DaKa said:

Hi Damien, if you would like, we could price up the O2 Sensor for you.

If so fill in this form, We offer genuine Lexus Parts Cheaper than main dealers

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/contact-us-genuine-lexus-parts/

On 3/16/2019 at 10:51 AM, DaKa said:

Yep rockauto, I got a denso o2 sensor couple of years ago, cost about £40 with delivery. Delivery took about 3 to 4 days. I've just looked on their website, Denso o2 sensor cost £30ish and the other one is just over £40, much cheaper than main dealer parts unless lexus parts direct can beat rock auto price, I would get it from rockauto 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links