Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX300h Lumbar support - which models?

Hi,

Having had 3X RX's and now wanting a smaller car, I'm naturally looking at the NX300h (used) but finding it difficult to work out which models have lumbar support, which is a must for me.

Can I ask what model/trim you have and what year and do you have Lumbar support or not?

Thanks

Nikki

Having just bought a brand new NX with premier pack, I was surprised (and crippled) to find into didn’t have lumbar support. Only the F-sport and premier have it as standard.

My car has 500 miles on it and I’m having to get rid of it. The seat has gives me chronic back ache. I can feel one of the metal supports digging in my back. The manual shows ‘powered seats’ as having lumbar support and I just assumed it had it. It’s going to be an expensive mistake

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for responding.  I did come across your post when searching the forum on lumbar support.  That is such a shame you are finding the seat so uncomfortable.  Even without lumbar support surely you shouldn't be able to feel metal supports digging in?  I assume you have been in contact with Lexus regarding this & sat in other NX's to compare?

41 minutes ago, Quietlife said:

Having just bought a brand new NX with premier pack, I was surprised (and crippled) to find into didn’t have lumbar support. Only the F-sport and premier have it as standard.

My car has 500 miles on it and I’m having to get rid of it. The seat has gives me chronic back ache. I can feel one of the metal supports digging in my back. The manual shows ‘powered seats’ as having lumbar support and I just assumed it had it. It’s going to be an expensive mistake

That is so sad, but I know exactly where you're at. I wanted an NX but the ride and seats after only 10 miles made me choose the RX. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nikkinakkinooow said:

Hi,

Having had 3X RX's and now wanting a smaller car, I'm naturally looking at the NX300h (used) but finding it difficult to work out which models have lumbar support, which is a must for me.

Can I ask what model/trim you have and what year and do you have Lumbar support or not?

Thanks

Nikki

I strongly suggest that you have a good long test drive in any NX as the ride and seat comfort can vary quite considerably. I also had a long conversation with a guy in the service department who said they have lots of complaints from NX owners who get really poor fuel consumption. Apparently only getting around 32mpg which is the same or less than my RX. 

I have test driven a "standard", an F-Sport and a Takumi NX.

I don't seem to have experienced the discomfort of a metal support in the back in any of them so I think that the suggestion above to get it looked at is a good one in case it is a fault. However, the Takumi definitely has adjustable lumbar support. I can't remember if the F-Sport I drove had lumbar adjustment but the brochure lists it as standard.

I’ve sat in a similar model and had the same problem. Had a try in a (top spec) UX and that was fine (but the car was too small). RX was ok, but far too expensive.

I literally don’t know what the solution is. I remain a bit peeved that the manual suggests all powered seats have lumbar adjustment and stil can’t believe a ‘luxury’ £40000 car doesn’t have it as standard.

I’ve never experienced such a poor seat in over 40 years of driving. My brand new car stays sat on the drive most of the time as I only drive it when absolutely necessary. 

(I’ve averaged 38mpg on mine since I got it. I doubt I’ll be able to get it any higher than that)

• Like 1

The issue is there is too much 'support' target than not enough. I've always around it right back on my other cars. The support in the seat pushes right into my lower back. Adding to it isn't going to help unfortunately

Could a coach trimmer remove some 'padding and rebuild the seat? Wouldn't have thought that would be overly difficult. Sorry, not the reply you wanted but possibly a solution

20 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

I strongly suggest that you have a good long test drive in any NX as the ride and seat comfort can vary quite considerably. I also had a long conversation with a guy in the service department who said they have lots of complaints from NX owners who get really poor fuel consumption. Apparently only getting around 32mpg which is the same or less than my RX. 

I'm getting 38-42 mpg over the 6k miles I've had my NX.

Seat comfort is very subjective. I find the NX very comfortable, as have passengers, but that's no good if you have a back problem. I too find it odd that they don't fit lumbar support tbh.

Ride comfort is similarly subjective. I've noted elsewhere that having had two RX loan cars - one F-Sport and one standard - that I couldn't live with the overly firm ride on the F-Sport. The dealer said they get that feedback all the time.

@Quietlife I'd say it's worth speaking with the dealer. If the one you test drove had lumbar - which I assume it must have for you not to have an issue - then they may be able to organise a swap for a low mileage used version with it fitted.

3 hours ago, Quietlife said:

The issue is there is too much 'support' target than not enough. I've always around it right back on my other cars. The support in the seat pushes right into my lower back. Adding to it isn't going to help unfortunately

Seats are definately subjective. Perhaps you're used to flat seats? fairly typical in german cars without lumbar support. Ive been in loads of these cars with and without lumbar support and haven't found the seats to be an issue in any of them. Usually I would suggest reclining the seat a bit more rather than sitting up completely straight

Also worth remembering that seats do wear and will loosen up though this can take a few months. Classic example is the Lexus F-Sport seat bottom bolsters. You have to climb over them when the car is new because they're so bloody hard but once worn in they have much more movement in the foam to allow easier getting in and out of.

My 2018 NX Premier only has 2-way on the drivers seat, nothing for the passenger although I still find them very comfortable.  However, one of the (many) reasons for ordering an ES Takumi is for the 4-way lumbar for both front seats and drivers seat thigh extension which is very long.  It comes up behind my knees and pushes them up.  For me, the seats are very comfortable and cosseting. 

Still stands that a luxury car should have some lumbar adjustment for the driver, at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Habu said:

My 2018 NX Premier only has 2-way on the drivers seat, nothing for the passenger although I still find them very comfortable.  However, one of the (many) reasons for ordering an ES Takumi is for the 4-way lumbar for both front seats and drivers seat thigh extension which is very long.  It comes up behind my knees and pushes them up.  For me, the seats are very comfortable and cosseting. 

Still stands that a luxury car should have some lumbar adjustment for the driver, at least.

Maybe but plenty of German cars around the same price bracket do not have lumbar support, instead is an option. For example BMW charge £265 for lumbar support on the base X3 costing £39k. This is still true of the X3 Xline at £41k and even the £43k M-Sport version

Lumbar support on the NX is F-Sport and above by the looks of it, but Ive never found the standard seats to be uncomfortable on any Lexus

I find the seats in my NX  the most comfortable of any car that I have owned which includes Mercedes C Class and Volvo S80 (which had seats difficult to beat) so don't miss having adjustable lumbar support. Now approaching one year of ownership and 10000 miles, I have kept a log of MPG based upon brim to brim fills and averaging 41.1mpg. I remain delighted with the car.

• Like 1

I had an Audi A7 previously, which had fantastic seats. I find I sit 'on' rather than 'in' the seats on the Lexus. I may speak to the company who fit the aftermarket lumbar support and see if they can do anything. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll be able to do anything about the bar that's part of the seat structure that I can feel in my back. 

It's not like it's anything I can learn to live with as it's giving me permanent back ache. 

12 hours ago, Quietlife said:

I had an Audi A7 previously, which had fantastic seats. I find I sit 'on' rather than 'in' the seats on the Lexus. I may speak to the company who fit the aftermarket lumbar support and see if they can do anything. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll be able to do anything about the bar that's part of the seat structure that I can feel in my back. 

It's not like it's anything I can learn to live with as it's giving me permanent back ache. 

How long did you test drive the NX for before ordering? It seems like this was an obvious flaw for you, so I'm a bit surprised it didn't come up during the test drive.

Generally if a dealer won't lend me a car for at least 24 hours, I won't consider their product. I find it avoids expensive mistakes - well, sometimes - it didn't stop me buying the VW Tiguan which was a reliability disaster, but in my defence it didn't break down when I was testing it...😂

On 3/16/2019 at 6:03 PM, nikkinakkinooow said:

Hi,

Thanks

Nikki

^^ In answer to the original question, I have a 2018 facelift Luxury. It has powered seats but no lumbar. Doesn't cause me an issue as I find the seats very comfortable, which is vital to me as I have a disability. I tend to choose cars and seats very carefully because of some very specific requirements regarding access and the angle of seats to pedals. 

It's just an off chance, but could there be a manufacturing fault with the seat and replace it. Would Lexus consider swapping the seat to provide you with a seat with some lumbar adjustment. Unlikely I expect as there could well be mechanical differences.

Hopefully Lexus would own the problem.

Yes, if you could confirm that NX seats with lumbar support were acceptable, it may well be possible to retrofit the higher spec seat in your NX as it already has electric seats. This would be much less expensive than a whole car swap. The seat covers come off and could be switched over so you wouldn't have an issue with colour matching the interior. 

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's comments.

In the end I went for a secondhand RX.  I had a test drive of the NX (with no lumbar) and within 1 mile I could tell the seat would not be good for me.

Good Luck QuietLife on getting your seat sorted.  I had an Evoque for a while and was worried that the seat was not going to suit me, but i kept trying all the adjustments and eventually I did get a position that suited me.

This Post made me check I have Lumber Adjustment.

In a dark garage felt the Back rest & nothing.

Looked @ the Seat Base & noticed a large Round Disk. Pressed that & nothing.

Then saw a small indent on the Button which allows infinite adjustment.

Relief.

Tel

The seat is still crippling me. Took it to an outside firm who fit lumbar support and his comment when he sat in the drivers seat was 'this feels really hard'. Took it back to the dealer, who sat in it and agreed it didn't feel right. Now waiting to see if they will replace it under warranty. 

• Like 1

I am surprised your Dealer has not stripped the Back Rest cover off to then raise a case to allow him to raise a Compass Issue that basically Globalises Response.

My ISF's drivers seat badly creased on the door-side edge .

Lexus fitted a new seat cover with a smaller crease in the same area.

Eventually a Coach Trimmer from Birmingham arrived @ the Dealership & 30 minutes later I had a perfect seat

Similar issue with the rear seat cushion on my Mk2 F-Sport 300h on Handover !

I am confident your issue will be resolved

Tel