Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My boy has bought a lovely IS250 F sport but wants more noise as too quiet , he was thinking of replacing the exhaust but doesn’t want it to drone away just sound better when he sticks his foot down, does anyone think an induction kit may be a better idea ? Has anyone upgraded theirs to get more noise ?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Phil.

I have a Lexus is250 f sport induction kit imported from America on mine and it makes a lovely noise once above 3000 rpm,not cheap though,see pic below 

20190317_221340.jpg

20190317_220928.jpg

Induction kit does help, but do not expect day and night difference. Just replacing rear silencers for SS might help, but I advise keep middle section in mild steel as replacing mid section/rear resonator with SS is what causes drone most of the time.

Struggling to find a U.K. company that do just the back boxes performance ones not original. Found a company called madmotors who list this Megan Racing - Infiniti M35/M45 05- Dual Axle Back Exhaust , has anyone ever fitted one of these and if so a better sound ?

In UK, you will have to go with custom, there are no aftermarket exhaust resellers, so only option is to order it for phenomenal prices from US. Otherwise, just look for any custom cat-back SS exhaust for IS250... Prices around £250-500. 

Certainly not. The original is nicely flared with a proper Y joint.

As for making more noise...hmmm....swap it for a Civic Type R? 🙂

(And I speak as someone who also drives a supercharged MX-5 with a Jackson Racing exhaust - and that's about as antisocial as you can get!)

Horses for courses!

Yes but Civic makes nasty anti-social noise, whereas properly sorted IS250 V6 can make very subtle V-roar. That "properly sorting" is another matter obviously, I have done a bit of research and there are certainly ways to achieve it, but for cars which can be bought for under £3000 it is hardly economical.

The only cheap and decent solution is to replace rear silencers with some louder ones, drone should be kept under control by retaining mid-resonator. Sadly the mid-resonator is the pice which muffles the sound the most, but there are no cheap ways of replacing it without creating drone.

As for that Y-joint - I agree it is ugly as hell. Yet even on original exhaust with "nice" joint it is the weak spot. I am actually little bit confused why Lexus decided to make almost dual exhaust from beginning to the end, but feed it into single resonator. Why skimp on ~ 40cm of the pipe to make it full-dual?!

I very much doubt that it's skimping. I suspect that feeding the exhausts into one pipe smooths out the pressure variations - there are 3 pressure peaks per engine rev and the peaks from each bank will be out of phase with each other. So by feeding the peak from one bank into the dip of the other, you will end up with a smoother overall pressure wave and hence less noise. But then why separate out into two pipes and two silencers - was that for aesthetics or does feeding your smoothed out wave into two pipes and silencers make the wave less energetic still and therefore make it quieter? I think the latter.

You are probably correct, from purely silencing point of view feeding into single pipe and then further reducing pressure by separating it again probably works better. Secondly, that probably allows 2 very restrictive silencers in the end without restricting flow too much. Probably right way to go for SE-L... but for more sporty "F-sport" and "IS-F" models that doesn't make sense (IS-F has identical exhaust with exception of silencers and headers, and same Y-pipe feeding single resonator). It would make more sense to do full dual exhaust with X-pipe for smoothing the flow.

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly i think the new 3IS has a true dual set up from the exhaust manifold down to the back box. Don't think it would retrofit onto the 2IS though as there wouldn't be sufficient space under the car.

In answer to the OP's question - I have the Magnaflow stainless steel exhaust on my car and I find it to be a good combination of noise when you want it without too much drone. It also looks the part in stainless steel, nicely visible from the rear.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS250-2-5L-2005-2013-Magnaflow-Performance-Axle-Back-Exhaust-16764/254170959908?hash=item3b2dc51024:g:gMkAAOSwjq9bxe6P

Fortunately I bought it before Brexit so it was only about £600 delivered from the US! Perhaps you can find one second hand somewhere.