Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok so I’ve picked up my 2000 LS430 (chuffed to bits!) but it appears I now have several error codes on the bloody thing! The most confusing is P1566, cruise control main switch (or words to that effect). Googling and forum searches have turned up nothing. I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this? My cruise control is working fine but doesn’t tell me on the dash when I’ve activated cruise, only when I’ve turned the cruise system on when I start the car (unsure if it’s supposed to show when cruise is set) 

I’m certain my NSF wheel hub needs replacing, could a faulty hub interfere with the wheel speed sensor and throw the code?

thanks 🙂 

2 hours ago, LEDMaestro101 said:

Ok so I’ve picked up my 2000 LS430 (chuffed to bits!) but it appears I now have several error codes on the bloody thing! The most confusing is P1566, cruise control main switch (or words to that effect). Googling and forum searches have turned up nothing. I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this? My cruise control is working fine but doesn’t tell me on the dash when I’ve activated cruise, only when I’ve turned the cruise system on when I start the car (unsure if it’s supposed to show when cruise is set) 

I’m certain my NSF wheel hub needs replacing, could a faulty hub interfere with the wheel speed sensor and throw the code?

thanks 🙂 

Not a code I'm familiar with, in fact I can't remember it ever coming up.  Why do you think you have a faulty hub, is it bearing noise? If so it's fairly common. Maybe get that replaced first, erase the codes and see where you are from there? PS. as it's a 2000 model, is it a non premium pack?

Yeah I’ve never seen it before nor heard of it. Yeah the hub is making a thudding noise, increases in frequency and intensity the faster the car goes and gets louder when turning to the left. I’ll change the hub and erase the codes as suggested. No it is the UL, comes with all the good stuff apart from parking sensors, which is taking some getting used to lol

7 hours ago, LEDMaestro101 said:

Yeah I’ve never seen it before nor heard of it. Yeah the hub is making a thudding noise, increases in frequency and intensity the faster the car goes and gets louder when turning to the left. I’ll change the hub and erase the codes as suggested. No it is the UL, comes with all the good stuff apart from parking sensors, which is taking some getting used to lol

Mine didn't come with parking sensors either, although it does have a reversing camera.  I retro fitted rear ones which you can just do without removing the bumper. If I remember correctly the pre-facelift has the reversing lights in the wing rather than the boot lid which makes fitting them even easier.

If the noise is worse turning left doesn't that suggest the offside front bearing is suspect?

When turning left the load on the offside is increased, not the nearside.

Usually I would agree as that seems more logical but the sound is definitely coming from the NS rather than OS. Still, not an overly expensive part and only an hour to replace so I’m happy to do it, even just to rule it out 

Bearing can't affect the speed sensor. Reluctor ring would. But if anything threw the speed sensor the cruise control would not work.

The code could easily be a fused bulb or faulty wire in the speedo or in the switch. Do you get this error all the time or only once you've switched on the cruise control? Can you also accelerate/decelerate with the cruise control switch?

Ah yeah that’s a point, stupidity seems to have kicked in with me haha. Thanks for your reply though, that’s great information in there that I wasn’t previously aware of  

Not sure if having the cruise completely off trips the code, I’ll reset it tonight and not touch the cruise until my EML comes back on and see if it still shows that code. As for the functions, yep accel and decel work perfectly. Out of curiosity, should there be a light on the dash that shows when cruise has been set, not just switched on? All other cars I’ve had with cruise have two indicator lamps, one for when cruise system is on and one for when cruise is set. Can’t seem to find reference in the manual to what should be shown when on cruise. At the moment I turn cruise on when I get in the car, the green “cruise” comes on the dash but then nothing else when I actually set cruise. Just wanting clarification on that part. 

Hi

The hub might take more than an hour to change, one of mine was seized solid into the suspension arm due to corrosion

between the steel bearing and the aluminium arm. 

It came out eventually!

Good luck.

Scott

IMG_4058.JPG

17 hours ago, LEDMaestro101 said:

Ah yeah that’s a point, stupidity seems to have kicked in with me haha. Thanks for your reply though, that’s great information in there that I wasn’t previously aware of  

Not sure if having the cruise completely off trips the code, I’ll reset it tonight and not touch the cruise until my EML comes back on and see if it still shows that code. As for the functions, yep accel and decel work perfectly. Out of curiosity, should there be a light on the dash that shows when cruise has been set, not just switched on? All other cars I’ve had with cruise have two indicator lamps, one for when cruise system is on and one for when cruise is set. Can’t seem to find reference in the manual to what should be shown when on cruise. At the moment I turn cruise on when I get in the car, the green “cruise” comes on the dash but then nothing else when I actually set cruise. Just wanting clarification on that part. 

I'm pretty sure that there is just the one cruise light on the dash to indicate that it is available. I believe it is a requirement after the problems they had in the US with runaway cruise control systems. Now all have to have a switch to completely disable the cruise control system and an indicator that it is enabled.

how odd, I always assumed it had 2 indicator lamps.....then again, the cars I've owned that had cruise were relatively new so had the "main" and "set" lamps. 

thanks for the warning Scott, I'll be sure to use a little *cough* persuasion if it's stubborn haha. I've swapped transmissions and rear Diffs out of IS200's so I'm sure swapping a hub will be relatively easy! 

Thanks for the tutorial bud, greatly appreciated.

Ok so I’ve run a couple of tests and the error is only coming up when cruise is set. I’ve run the car without cruise on (no error), cruise on but not set (no error) but then whenever I set a speed or use any other part of normal cruise function, that’s when I get the error. Had a word with both my local Lexus dealers and neither of them have come across this error before 😂 oddly enough, sometimes the ‘resume’ speed function doesn’t always work, perhaps related, perhaps not. 

This will keep me busy for a while it seems haha

Great you've narrowed it down. So is it the clock spring or the cruise control switch? I don't know which one is more likely to become faulty in your car. Hopefully it's one of these two and nothing more complicated. 

I'd still like to see a second light on the speedo to say cruise control is set, in which case could be a bulb in the speedo. But I don't know if you have those two lights in your model. The resume function being temperamental, though, favours a switch/clock spring error.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links