Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Been to look at a low mileage LS400

Hi, I went to look at a 1996 LS400 yesterday in Gold (I like Gold but the Mrs doesn't) with only 63,000 on the clock and though someone may be interested in what the car was like.

I am/was looking for a MKIV but as this car was close to where I live and only 63,000 miles it was worth a look.

Checked the usual stuff and I couldn't really find anything wrong apart from the brake discs are lipped on the front and will probably need replacing soon.

The oil and transmission fluid looked like it had just been changed. Coolant the right colour and looked fine, couldn't seen any leaks from the power steering pump above the starter.

Timing belt replaced at 36,000 quite a few years ago though, iirc. Car started first crack and engine sounded as smooth as silk. No untoward noises.

Everything electrical worked as far as I could tell, steering wheel moved in both directions but didn't check the aerial for some reason...…...........I couldn't really tell if the heated seats worked as they should but judging from the way the car has been looked after they probably do work. LCD panels and dash were fine, no water in the boot.

No knocking or concerning noises on the test drive, gear changes were very smooth. It wasn't practical to test the braking totally because of where the car is located but replacing discs/pads/callipers etc if needed isn't a issue and it wouldn't bother me at all.

Bodywork is spot on, couldn't find any rust or damage (one light scratch on the off side but will buff out). A good wash and detail would make it sparkle like new I think.

Car has done less than a 1,000 miles in the last 9 years, always garaged and really only taken out for the odd journey (mainly for it's annual service and MOT)

Price...……………………£4,250, I'm a bit torn now whether to go for it or wait for a MKIV which ticks all the boxes for me (VVTi and satnav etc)

I have also seen a 1998 MKIV in light metallic green (love the colour) 108,000, looks spot on and well looked after but it's 210 mile away priced at £3.675, would you think offering £3,000 or a bit more for this gold one is really cheeky?

1 minute ago, Razor61 said:

Hi, I went to look at a 1996 LS400 yesterday in Gold (I like Gold but the Mrs doesn't) with only 63,000 on the clock and though someone may be interested in what the car was like.

I am/was looking for a MKIV but as this car was close to where I live and only 63,000 miles it was worth a look.

Checked the usual stuff and I couldn't really find anything wrong apart from the brake discs are lipped on the front and will probably need replacing soon.

The oil and transmission fluid looked like it had just been changed. Coolant the right colour and looked fine, couldn't seen any leaks from the power steering pump above the starter.

Timing belt replaced at 36,000 quite a few years ago though, iirc. Car started first crack and engine sounded as smooth as silk. No untoward noises.

Everything electrical worked as far as I could tell, steering wheel moved in both directions but didn't check the aerial for some reason...…...........I couldn't really tell if the heated seats worked as they should but judging from the way the car has been looked after they probably do work. LCD panels and dash were fine, no water in the boot.

No knocking or concerning noises on the test drive, gear changes were very smooth. It wasn't practical to test the braking totally because of where the car is located but replacing discs/pads/callipers etc if needed isn't a issue and it wouldn't bother me at all.

Bodywork is spot on, couldn't find any rust or damage (one light scratch on the off side but will buff out). A good wash and detail would make it sparkle like new I think.

Car has done less than a 1,000 miles in the last 9 years, always garaged and really only taken out for the odd journey (mainly for it's annual service and MOT)

Price...……………………£4,250, I'm a bit torn now whether to go for it or wait for a MKIV which ticks all the boxes for me (VVTi and satnav etc)

I have also seen a 1998 MKIV in light metallic green (love the colour) 108,000, looks spot on and well looked after but it's 210 mile away priced at £3.675, would you think offering £3,000 or a bit more for this gold one is really cheeky?

No harm is asking if they would take £3000 the worst they will say is No - If you do go for the LS400 and need brakes let us know, we will sort you out 😛 

7 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Can you post some links?

It's not for sale on the usual sites, Autotrader, eBay etc. so I don't have any links to share sorry. I came across it by accident, if I decide not to go for it (which is probably the case as the Mrs really really really does not like the gold colour) I'll advise the seller to join this forum and post it for sale. I do know that the seller is waiting for better weather spring/summer before putting on Autotrader, eBay or somewhere else.

14 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

It's not for sale on the usual sites, Autotrader, Ebay etc. so I don't have any links to share sorry. I came across it by accident, if I decide not to go for it (which is probably the case as the Mrs really really really does not like the gold colour) I'll advise the seller to join this forum and post it for sale. I do know that the seller is waiting for better weather spring/summer before putting on Autotrader, eBay or somewhere else.

I think the temptations of a low mileage LS are not necessarily something we should be persuaded by. These cars can do mega miles if looked after and a 200k example should drive as well as a 60k one. £4,250 does seem a tad high.

If you can get a MK4 in my view always a better bet.

The only thing I liked about hte Mk3 of the 4 is the fog lights are better, other than that a 108,000 Mk4 will just be nicely run in, and in theory the suspension is another 50K to 80K off needing an over-haul.

• Like 1

With Cotswold Pete here...admit I’m biased towards a Mark 4. Brakes easily fixed...my suspension at 80k miles all original though needed ball joints, lower control arm bushes...

Check that cambelt, water pump and pulleys have been done. 

Cheap 400s won’t be around much longer so if you want even now you have to pay.

I wanted a mk 4 for the added security of traction control, I don't know whether VVTi is much of an advantage, because they were always an outstanding engine. I don't know what year this car is but aren't the earlier engines non interference, so less of a problem if the cambelt breaks? As for the sat nav, I find it unusable because it is so dated. Roads have changed a lot since 1999. I use a Garmin

Hugh

The first series LS400 had non interference engines the mark 1 My cambelt failed due to a seized water pump but The engine was ok .

I would be wary of buying anything other than a Mark 4 as they were the best of the lot and even those are now twenty years old.