Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Michelin Cross Climate

I noticed that there are a few topics on here relating to tyres for the NX. I've done 28,000 miles now on the original Yokohamas so decided I had better start doing some research. The consensus seems to be that the Michelin Cross Climates are a sound choice but I had a slight panic as availability seemed to be an issue for some forum members. I went down to my local ATS and they said that they could get the tyres that I wanted tomorrow and as there is a deal on they would be £150 per tyre. If you look on the website you could be forgiven for thinking that Michelin doesn't do a tyre for the NX as everything is listed except those.

I'll be getting four cross climates fitted next week. There is loads of life on the rears which is a shame but I will be happier with some decent tyres

• Like 1

Hi Malcom, I am thinking about these as well but as you I have now enough tire thread to last me until next cold season so I will wait, but these tires are on top of the list!

Hi Malcolm. Have you tried blackcircles.com. 

They are offering Cross climates for an NX at £141.12 fully fitted, with an extra 10% off this week as you can see below.

Capture.thumb.PNG.c847614b3c5f757562d173aca518a9ab.PNG

I have used them before and they are very good.  Most Lexus dealers will price match too, so well worth giving them a try.

We had Crossclimate+ on our V70, and I have them on my Nissan Leaf also. 

They are a SUPERB tyre. They are supremely quiet, extraordinary in the wet and capable in the snow with a good ride compliance. Wear life is excellent. Downsides? The wet weather performance comes at a rolling resistance cost - slight in the dry, but significant in the wet (and really noticeable as a range impact on the Leaf) - expect to lose a bit on mpg in the wet. They occasionally "sing" when they hit a particular type of road surface, make a peculiar "squirming" or "rustling" noise in dry/hot conditions (but you'll only notice with windows open) and have a slightly unpredictable side-slip behaviour (noticeable in wet/snow on significant cambers (meaning about 20-30% camber) at very low speed.

If you are a Costco member then there are often deals on sets of crossclimates there - I got £60 off the set for my Leaf. 

Other manufacturers are starting to catch up, with strong offerings now from Continental (Allseasoncontact) and Bridgestone (A005). However, the Crossclimate remains a superbly strong choice. 

Our GS450h will be getting a set when the current tyres wear down (but it came on a brand-new set of P Zero Nero GT, so not binning them!). 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sheri1 said:

They are offering Cross climates for an NX at £141.12 fully fitted, with an extra 10% off this week as you can see below.

I have used them before and they are very good.  Most Lexus dealers will price match too, so well worth giving them a try.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that. No, I hadn't looked at Blackcircles as I was so surprised to see that ATS were only quoting £150. I had a GS before and I would end up paying £200 per tyre

I switched from Yokohama to Cross Climates and they transformed the car. I definitely recommend them. I did have issues with availability, but the tyres were very new at the time, at least in NX size.

Incidentally, the best price I got was from my local Lexus dealer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hunslet said:

I just had a quote from Lexus Birmingham - £165 each. Looks like I may have to move to Bolton

Try www.motokiki.com they will tell you cheapest around where you live. You could then show lexus the price and see if they will price match if you want them to do it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 12:33 PM, sheri1 said:

Thank you, I used exactly this advert and ordered them from Black Circle, had 4 of them delivered to my local Lexus dealer and had them fitted and the 4 wheel alignment. 

Needed to get 4 fitted as the existing tyres were odd and had a puncture in one only a month into ownership.

Left with 2 Bridgestone Duelers with 5.2/4.8/5.4 and 6.3/6.2/5.7 mm across them, plus an Avon ZX7 with 6.6/7.1/6.8 on it, any ideas on what to do with them? Don't really think I will need them with 4 new Cross Climates and I assume no good even as spares due to different tread patterns etc?

Is there a sales and wants area on here? I have not located it as only just moved over to Lexus from Mitsubishi.

First post virginity popped...

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, gavwhite1972 said:

Thank you, I used exactly this advert and ordered them from Black Circle, had 4 of them delivered to my local Lexus dealer and had them fitted and the 4 wheel alignment. 

Needed to get 4 fitted as the existing tyres were odd and had a puncture in one only a month into ownership.

Left with 2 Bridgestone Duelers with 5.2/4.8/5.4 and 6.3/6.2/5.7 mm across them, plus an Avon ZX7 with 6.6/7.1/6.8 on it, any ideas on what to do with them? Don't really think I will need them with 4 new Cross Climates and I assume no good even as spares due to different tread patterns etc?

Is there a sales and wants area on here? I have not located it as only just moved over to Lexus from Mitsubishi.

First post virginity popped...

Stick them on eBay or something for a like £50 each they'll probably go fairly quick 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We recently had all 4 tyres changed on our 2016 FSport from noisy rock hard Yokos, to Michellin Cross Climates. The hype is real everyone, they are superb tyres, so much quieter and softer riding than the Yokos. They have massively improved the ride and noise levels in our FSport, worth every penny!!! The dealership said they wouldn't make much difference and tried to put me off saying "stick with the Yokos". They have no idea what they're talking about and only want you to stick with Yokos cos they buy in bulk, I'm guessing. I generally don't put much stock into what they say, and thankfully my instinct was right once more. 

There is however only one downside to the Cross Climates over the Yokos. The Yokohama have a bigger flatter contact patch with the road (hence why so noisy), which gives them a slightly sharper turn in when cornering and a slightly more planted road feel. However, it's a small price to pay for how much better the ride quality and road noise is. I imagine this is even less noticeable in non FSport NX. They are also outstanding in wet conditions. Went through some epic puddles at the weekend and the car wasn't phased at all, very impressed!

I've driven non FSport NX, and can honestly say that an FSport + Cross Climates is the best combination of handling, ride quality and road noise an NX can have.

• Like 3

Imagine Michelins with AVS then the ride would really be sublime.

However after a short time does not the improvement become the norm.?

When I first drove my car I really believed my tyre pressures were set low & when I checked the tyres were 3 psig over @ 39.

Setting them to 36 made me think the handling in corners would suffer & in the first month I used Sport + or ++ when shooting through the Countryside.

However I now leave the car in D unless a BUMW driver irritates me 

Have only done 4000 miles on the Yokos.          Surely I can part-chop them & achieve a magic ride but would I risk wheel damage.

Tel

On the Michellin website, only the normal Cross Climates are available for the NX, they don't seem to have move the '+' version to the NX yet. Also, watching some recent NX reviews, seem like Cross Climates are now being put into the stock vehicles, so perhaps Lexus are listening.

• Like 1

Blackcircles sell the Cross Climate SUV tyres for an NX too. If you select the tyre size yourself you may not get the SUV tyre offered. It does appear to be a tyre designed for SUVs based on the blurb.

20 hours ago, LordByronUK said:

We recently had all 4 tyres changed on our 2016 FSport from noisy rock hard Yokos, to Michellin Cross Climates. The hype is real everyone, they are superb tyres, so much quieter and softer riding than the Yokos. They have massively improved the ride and noise levels in our FSport, worth every penny!!! The dealership said they wouldn't make much difference and tried to put me off saying "stick with the Yokos". They have no idea what they're talking about and only want you to stick with Yokos cos they buy in bulk, I'm guessing. I generally don't put much stock into what they say, and thankfully my instinct was right once more. 

There is however only one downside to the Cross Climates over the Yokos. The Yokohama have a bigger flatter contact patch with the road (hence why so noisy), which gives them a slightly sharper turn in when cornering and a slightly more planted road feel. However, it's a small price to pay for how much better the ride quality and road noise is. I imagine this is even less noticeable in non FSport NX. They are also outstanding in wet conditions. Went through some epic puddles at the weekend and the car wasn't phased at all, very impressed!

I've driven non FSport NX, and can honestly say that an FSport + Cross Climates is the best combination of handling, ride quality and road noise an NX can have.

Thanks. Poor turn in might make me look elsewhere when I change mine. I imagine that in the summer at higher temperatures this effect might be even more noticeable.

I know from running three Powerful rwd Jaguars on winter tyres that they always felt a bit squidgy and less sharp in higher winter temperatures at around 10 degrees. I might well therefore go for Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres. I know these to be very good in cold wet weather but still very good in the summer on an NX. I’ll be interested in hearing how you get on with your Cross Climates in May.