Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Michelin Cross Climate

1 hour ago, Harrier Man said:

Rotating the tyres at the prescribed intervals helps ensure that all 4 tyres wear at a similar rate and therefore need replacing at the same time.

Be aware though that Cross Climates can only be rotated front to back, and not diagonally, as they're directional tyres.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Pm4 said:

Thanks, my problem is, if I replace the run flat, how do I get around the fact that there's no spare tyre?

Lexus has not made that an easy problem to solve!

I’m not familiar with the NX450 but I take it that there’s nowhere to store a SpaceSaver - which would be the best option.

You can certainly buy a magic gloop inflatable kit as an accessory, but be aware that they have their limitations.  If the damage is more of a rip than a hole - especially in the sidewall - or the problem is a damaged valve, then they have limited, or no, effect.

If it’s to deal with a small penetration - a small nail, for example - that you would hope to get repaired, you’ll find most repairers won’t touch it.  They feel that the time and effort taken to remove the sealant isn’t cost effective.  Apart from which they may say  that running the tyre deflated could have damaged its structure and that will be impossible for them to detect.

The option I would consider is to subscribe to a national motoring organisation, have a cell phone on you and download the ‘What three words ‘ app. That way you’ll be able to give them your precise location - accurate to one square metre!

5 hours ago, LenT said:

If it’s to deal with a small penetration - a small nail, for example - that you would hope to get repaired, you’ll find most repairers won’t touch it.  They feel that the time and effort taken to remove the sealant isn’t cost effective.  Apart from which they may say  that running the tyre deflated could have damaged its structure and that will be impossible for them to detect.

The option I would consider is to subscribe to a national motoring organisation, have a cell phone on you and download the ‘What three words ‘ app. That way you’ll be able to give them your precise location - accurate to one square metre!

I would agree with subscribing to a breakdown service, although I did use the goop once to keep me going when I got a puncture in Germany.

You've also reminded me of another point about CrossClimates. Some dedicated tyre shops claim that they can't be repaired like regular tyres, and have to be replaced when punctured,  although my local independent garage had no problem repairing it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

You've also reminded me of another point about CrossClimates. Some dedicated tyre shops claim that they can't be repaired like regular tyres, and have to be replaced when punctured,  although my local independent garage had no problem repairing it.

This is information from the Michelin website.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/advice/change-tyres/tyre-repair

The gist appears to be that only small punctures - a nail in the centre tread causing a slow leak, for example - might be repaired.  And then only by removing the tyre and inserting a mushroom plug from the inside.

Deflated tyres and deflated Run Flats may all suffer potential sidewall damage that is not visible, which is why replacement is considered the only option.  

I think the problem is that Run Flat is a misnomer.  It only means that the tyre wall is sufficiently reinforced to allow continued slow progress to a place of safety or replacement.  Incidentally, this Michelin page also makes the point that RFs should be matched to a suitable rim.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 6:07 PM, Harrier Man said:

Rotating the tyres at the prescribed intervals helps ensure that all 4 tyres wear at a similar rate and therefore need replacing at the same time.

Albeit not good practice as having 4 bald tyres is not as safe as having 2 bald ones and 2 semi-decent ones

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links