Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another no problem MOT Pass - question on Anti-roll

Just had car pass MOT (Brilliant).

Car done 195K, but when I took it in I said to look at UCAs as I get a slight knock on speed humps and some road dips (not all the time)  and what feels like a vibration, but is not a vibration, more a sense of road rumble. Mechanic says the control arms looking okay (which surprises me at this mileage).

Mechanic thinks road rumble at around 40mph, is mainly tyres (could be right as this effect seems to have been there since new tyres 5 months back).

However he did say anti-roll bars are looking a bit sad, and will need doing.

Questions: Is it best to go for OEM anti-roll, or worth a punt on other makes and what sort of cost should I be looking at.  My mechanic will use genuine when I insist, and usually he knows his stuff, as he sorted out my brakes, which no else seemed to manage.

Tyres by the way are Nexen Maxxis, so if they are a problem, might move them to rear when I have to get new rears in next month or so, and see what happens. 

I know a few people have Nexen makes on their LS, anyone else ever had more road rumble than expected with Nexens, they are pretty hard wearing though, my current rear Nexen Blues have done around 35000 miles which is pretty amazing and still have about 3000 left in them.

Any advice appreciated.

Also to say - Had the sparks changed, and amazed at difference it makes, engine seems a little quiter and pulls even better, and 'odd' gear changes I have been getting seemed to have gone (mainly when negotiating steep downhill section on final run home).

• Like 2

The anti roll bar is just a shaped piece of metal attached to the suspension, the only normal wear items are the mounting bushes and the drop links. All these are readily available and fairly easy to replace.

Generic picture shows the basic components.

4714B844-25BF-40B8-9918-9A42F3E65309.jpeg

As Steve says, anti roll bar is basic stuff and the bushes are cheap. I did my GS ones, front and rear, very easy. The LS ones are about £20 a pair and I'd be happy to use aftermarket ones. Drop links are also cheap and easy to do. Probably 20 mins to change the ARB bushes with the car on a lift.

Thanks for info, once I get back from Scotland trip next week, will get it sorted. 

Might also book car in with Osaka in Newport just to get them to have a good poke about and advise on other suspesion parts.

Looking forward to nice steady run up to Rannoch for 5 days of Scottish Spring weather.

• Like 1

I used aftermarket front drop links at a sensible price. The Lexus parts were an eye watering £185 each I think :Jumpy:  ( or summat like that whatever )

Malc

9 minutes ago, Malc said:

The Lexus parts were an eye watering £185 each I think :Jumpy:  ( or summat like that whatever )

Gordon Bennet, are they polished by the hands of a fair maiden sat in a pool of gold wearing goatskin gloves, or what😲

Hi Guys, We are now an authoirsed trader on here and we beat all main dealer prices.

If you want us to price up the ones for your car fill this form out and someone will get back to you 

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/contact-us-genuine-lexus-parts/

Cheers

5 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Gordon Bennet, are they polished by the hands of a fair maiden sat in a pool of gold wearing goatskin gloves, or what😲

two fair maidens actually, one in Japan and the other in Leeds :whistling1:

Malc