Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check ABS, VSC, ECB fault

Bernie843

Hello chaps..

First let me say that I am a 1970's diesel plant mechanic.. 

On that basis I decided to change my front brake pads... with the radio on.. (which flattened the Battery eventually) and now have Check ABS, Check VSC, Check ECB and BRAKE MALFUNCTION error codes showing.

After reading up on it, I realise that I should have disconnected the Battery, put the keys in the house and spoke nicely to the software that now runs my car.

Didn't have all that stuff on diggers in my day.. lol

I've got a techstream and connector coming. 

Is this all I need to reset the ABS and other systems? I really don't want to give it to Lexus as two weeks after buying the car they tried to cheat me out of £1500 for a small service that wasn't required.

Cheers in advance. (and yes, next time I will RTFB first.)

You could try a 'soft' reset first by simply dis-connecting the Battery for at least 10 mins and then putting in a nice fully charged one, this should allow any volitile memory to disapate and unless you really have got a fault somewhere then the error lights should be gone. A flat/low Battery can throw all sorts of disconcerting looking errors!

paul m.

You do need to use Techstream to bleed the brakes so if you did it without I can understand why the car is now having a hissy fit. However, if you only changed the pads without bleeding then I don't think it's a major problem.

I'd do what Paul said above but instead of just disconnecting the 12V Battery for 10 minutes I'd put it on charge overnight. Once you reconnect a fully-charged Battery you may well find that all the warnings have disappeared - but you may have to reset things like window operation and suchlike.

Because hybrids only have small 12V batteries with small capacities, I carry one of these jump start battery packs (or similar) in the car at all times. They don't cost a lot and it's well worth it for peace of mind alone.

Thanks guys, I'll try this tomorrow. I tried the reset with the paperclip over TS and GS points in the OBy1knobie connector thing. Failed, i didn't really have the time to do it properly.

I didn't bleed the brakes but opened the bleed screw (attached to a non-return bleed kit full of new brake fluid) in order to push the caliper in.. 
I believe it wouldn't go in because the radio was on... first setting on the ignition button... When did cars become so bloody technical? 

Although the dynamic braking doesn't work on pressing the brake pedal, I can still change down and use dynamic braking that way. Was fun driving tonight manually. 

Bloody brakes are sharp without the computer controlling them.

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I did my brakes myself and had the same issue on my GS430. It gave exactly the same errors. I too did not know I had to disconnect my Battery but will be doing next time.

To fix this, I put one small copper wire that connected to the top 4th hole from the left and the bottom 5th hole from the left of the OBD2 port. After it is connected, put the ignition on and the brake lights will start to flash. Immediately press the brake pedal 8 times and that within 5 seconds. Make sure to press in and out properly so the lights go on and off. It didn't work the first time I tried it, I gave up and tried next day and everything cleared and has been working since!

I don't know if you've already fixed them but for anyone else that has this issue after doing the brakes themselves, make sure to give this a try as it definitely worked for me. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links