Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

UX Security

It's behind a paywall at The Times but here is an extract:

Thatcham Research, the automotive safety group, found that six out of ten new cars with a keyless entry and start system had no security measures to prevent a “relay attack”.

Those given a “poor” rating were the Ford Mondeo, Hyundai Nexo, Kia ProCeed, Lexus UX, Porsche Macan and Toyota Corolla hybrid.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

It's behind a paywall at The Times but here is an extract:

Thatcham Research, the automotive safety group, found that six out of ten new cars with a keyless entry and start system had no security measures to prevent a “relay attack”.

Those given a “poor” rating were the Ford Mondeo, Hyundai Nexo, Kia ProCeed, Lexus UX, Porsche Macan and Toyota Corolla hybrid.

Thanks.That information at least provides a sensible perspective within which to consider matters.

What is a "relay  attack?"

"The Relay Attack

Passive keyless entry systems, which allow drivers to open and start their cars without removing the key fob from their pocket, can be exploited using a technique called the ‘Relay Attack.’ Usually operating in pairs, one criminal will hold a device up against the car, to capture the signal it sends out to the key. It then ‘boosts’ this signal to another device by the front wall of the house, which relays the signal to the key inside. This fools the car and key into thinking they are within the 2m range of operation, allowing the car to be unlocked and started. Once started the engine will not restart without the key present."

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/thatcham-research/pressreleases/six-of-the-11-new-cars-launched-in-2019-rated-poor-for-security-2850271?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=Alert&utm_content=pressrelease

An alternative to the pouch is to disable the key: on the key fob, keep the LOCK button pressed, while pressing the UNLOCK button twice. Press any button to wake the key up.

As a matter of interest, once the car has been started using the relay attack technique, can the car be actually driven, or will it come to a stop once it loses the signal from the key? 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DanD said:

As a matter of interest, once the car has been started using the relay attack technique, can the car be actually driven, or will it come to a stop once it loses the signal from the key? 

It'll run until the IGN is switched off, then won't start again. ...

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks.That information at least provides a sensible perspective within which to consider matters.

What is a "relay  attack?"

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Peter.

My Faraday Pouch continues to work well.

Have you therefore been using a pouch without knowing why? 

12 hours ago, malcolmw said:

I see in the news that the UX has been slated by Thatcham has having poor security against theft.

same as every other Lexus currently being sold. Quite disappointing that this issue has been known about for years now and they haven't bothered to fix the problem 😞

On 3/21/2019 at 9:27 PM, NemesisUK said:
While people keep buying these cars (whatever marque), why would they?

Reputational damage?

At the same time, and possibly more to the point, you have to be realistic: whatever security system or feature is implemented one week will be defeated by thieves the following week. After all, car thieves have access to the same technology as car manufacturers. Consequently, a car deemed safe today will not be safe next month.
Is this really a new issue? Don't think so... The issue of car theft is not a new one. Is it worth losing sleep over? I won't (even though I wouldn't be best pleased if I was to wake up to find my car had disappeared overnight)

Incidentally, this issue was mentioned on BBC South Today tonight.
While I understand that the press has a duty to inform people it is a shame that they at the same time give potential thieves a nice list of the cars that are most at risk.

This is not news... It's sensationalism.
Along the same lines, the same program had a feature a couple of weeks ago where a journalist had a small device implementated under the skin of her hand. She could then scan the device to read personal data such as medical records etc. The whole team was all excited about it.
Err... Have we not been chipping dogs, cats and cattle for years!?!

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When this came to light I purchased one of the Mobile Phone and Key Signal Blocking Security Case Pouches (Faraday pouches) - less than £5 - just pop the keys in there when I get home. Tested it to make sure it did indeed block the signal. I keep the spare keys for the cars in a tin hidden in a cupboard - again that works as well to block any signals. It's a well communicated issue but for a few pounds spent on pouch I sleep easy at night (I also take it with me when I stay away overnight at hotels) and can enjoy the convenience of the keyless entry.

4 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

When this came to light I purchased one of the Mobile Phone and Key Signal Blocking Security Case Pouches (faraday pouches) - less than £5 - just pop the keys in there when I get home. Tested it to make sure it did indeed block the signal. I keep the spare keys for the cars in a tin hidden in a cupboard - again that works as well to block any signals. It's a well communicated issue but for a few pounds spent on pouch I sleep easy at night (I also take it with me when I stay away overnight at hotels) and can enjoy the convenience of the keyless entry.

I could have wrote that. Exactly what I do.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As DanD said in an earlier post it is very easy to disable the key completely by pressing and holding the lock button and then press unlock twice in quick succession.

Works perfectly and you can not even open the car with the handle unless you press any key on the fob to disable the lock.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Concerned about security? This is the Lexus Approved Faraday pouch.

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-rc-f/lexus-rc-f-2014-onwards/lexus-rc-f-accessories/lexus-faraday-wallet/

Order today and have your pouch delivered to your door. Protect your Lexus!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links