Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying my first Lexus - reliability of the IS 300h model?

240 mA are too much to leave anti theft and remote opening active, there is something draining current such as an always on lamp or similar. If you can't try yourself go to a car electrician who will test where  is current drain testing current flowing through each fuse in fuses box till finding where is fault. Have you a amplifier or  any non standard device mounted in your IS?

Nothing non-standard to my knowledge although I haven't had the car from new. As I said, it's booked into the Lexus dealer where I bought it and where it's under warranty so they will presumably search for the drain. One might think that the diagnostic facility in the car would show up such a fault.

I assume that if  I did a big mileage every day then this fault wouldn't show up until, for example, we left it parked  and went away on holiday. I quoted the airport example as a scenario which would be particularly annoying.

3 minutes ago, reeac said:

Nothing non-standard to my knowledge although I haven't had the car from new. As I said, it's booked into the Lexus dealer where I bought it and where it's under warranty so they will presumably search for the drain. One might think that the diagnostic facility in the car would show up such a fault.

I assume that if  I did a big mileage every day then this fault wouldn't show up until, for example, we left it parked  and went away on holiday. I quoted the airport example as a scenario which would be particularly annoying.

I have left my car for 7 days at an airport with no issues but never left it longer than this without being used. I carry one of the small jump start packs that can keep in the glove box just in case however. Given that you only have to have enough power for the 12v ancillary electrics to start the IS 300h then this should be perfectly adequate though haven't had the need to test it yet... 

Another important thing to do is to NOT leave in proximity of car a keyless remote, because it keeps opening system activated (even if for only some days that can be set with techstream), so if you have a box and the habits to leave keys inside car you could experience 12 V Battery discharge; keep remotes at least 5 meters far.

Our IS is often left parked up for weeks. Over 4 years old and only done 24k. Longest was 3 weeks I think. 

Never had any issues with starting up first time, or problems with 12V, still on original 12V Battery.

• 2 weeks later...

Update regarding my 12 v. Battery problem: the Lexus people measured the quiescent Battery drain and it was only 16 mA .....well below the permitted 30 mA. They did say that it can take 30-60 minutes for the car to shut down fully to the quiescent state. They could find no other fault. I'll just have to see how it goes.  They loaned me a brand new CT for a day but I have to say that I much prefer my IS ......a much nimbler, sportier feel on the road.

We bought our 2015 IS300h just over a year ago. It is our first Lexus, and we've been very pleased with it. Although it is still low mileage.

We've taken out a 3 year service contract,  which will hopefully save us a little bit ? 

One factor for buying, was that we have a Lexus service centre literally a five minute walk away.

• 9 months later...

I think it´s time for some updates here?

I got my IS300h last november (2014 mod.) with 83 000 km (so far only regular maintenance), what can I say:
solid quality and smooth ride feeling, except one - notchy steering (steering rack has to be replaced I suppose). 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links