Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking to get a replacement key for my 2016 RX 450h. 

Its the push button traditional type. (Not the credit card type)

i can get one from the dealers but wondered if anyone knows if a second hand one would work. Heard it needs to be coded to my car but does the key need the original vehicle present to have it decoded first?

thanks

13 hours ago, 4x4Fire said:

Looking to get a replacement key for my 2016 RX 450h. 

Its the push button traditional type. (Not the credit card type)

i can get one from the dealers but wondered if anyone knows if a second hand one would work. Heard it needs to be coded to my car but does the key need the original vehicle present to have it decoded first?

thanks

The replacement key needs to be "un coded" from the original car and then needs to be coded to yours via techstream

Hi,

Is it the same 3-button key as the RX300? If it's the smart keyless entry/start then that's different.

I created a new 3-button key for my RX300 a few months ago. The process should be straightforward. It cost me about £40 to create a spare key.

I bought a used key off eBay for £25, but made sure it have the same markings on the back. That way the electronics in the key were the same as the only working key I had.

Once the key arrived from eBay I junked the case because all I wanted were the electronics in the key. The electronics interface with the security system (the immobiliser) and also the central locking.

I bought a replacement blank key from eBay and got the blade cut to match the currently working key. So the key would turn in the locks, but the electronics needed programming.

I used Techstream software plugged into the car to get it to recognise the "new" (new to the car) immobiliser chip in the key. Then it was just a case of going through the rigmarole needed to get the central locking part of the fob recognised by the car.

There are a few how-to videos on YouTube if you search for RX key programming..

The details are here:

2 hours ago, Delphius1 said:

Is it the same 3-button key as the RX300?

I doubt it - my 2013 RX450h Advance is the smart/keyless type so it's almost certain that Mark's 2016 car won't have reverted to older tech.

I'm interested in this too. We have two keys at the moment but being a clumsy character at the best of times, I'm sure to lose one at some point (he says, desperately touching wood so as to not tempt fate!).

Ah, ok. Progress isn't always forwards!

It would be interesting to see if a smart keyless car can be programmed with Techstream. YouTube videos say it should be possible with a replacement key fob.