Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vibrating front Brake Scoop/Plate

Anyone had this problem with the LS400?

I can hear this annoying clicking noise when driving and having looked at the front D/S wheel I think I've spotted a tear in the brake air scoop or whatever its called.  Has shown up another possible problem with the balljoint and thats what its vibrating against.

Guessing its a big job having to take everything off the hub to replace. Couldn't find replacement part listed on Rock Auto unless I'm not naming it correctly, and unsure if this is the style of back plate? 

http://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/2000x2000/80-img_7007_d62a90e4bea342550418b14eec5fa4a395529885.jpg

IMG_2917.JPG

That’s certainly a bent backplate.

You've a few options from buying new to second hand or straighten yours out, grind off the rust and paint in a hammerite type paint.

Take the wheel off, brake caliper brake assembly the back breaks are more work.

The hub might be seized on so wd40 and heat might be needed.

The plate will be held on a series of very seized bolts by the look of it or it will come away as the hub is released. I can’t recall.

The new part is expensive but labour shouldn’t be too much...any garage can do this.

• Sad 1

Thanks Simon, my first thought was that it was designed to scoop Air onto the Disc, though images of the part (probably only now obtainable from Japan) suggest it is flat with a slight scoop.

I was cratching my head to think however could thisehave happened, and then I remembered two years ago when we turned up at our French Cottage at 3.am I pulled up onto long grass and a few weeds, and after unloading I moved the Car further forward  and heard this almighty click sound.  Worried the life out of me but next day I couldn't see any damage and the Car has driven fine, ever since. 

Surprised neither the MOT inspection nor my mechanic hasn't drawn my attention or commented on it.

Hopefully it will bend back into position.  

reflect a little .........  if it's been like it for some two years and passed the MOT and no one apart from you has noticed it ........  and it's not affecting the driving nor performance ...........  maybe save yourself the angst and leave well alone ?  :whistling:

Malc

Its causing vibration against that lower ball joint which is annoying, so I'll take off the wheel and bend it back - when the inclination takes me! 

It will be worth investing in a replacement part as I think there is a tear which shows a sign of fatigue, but it will be low on my list of priorities. That was some strong weed that snagged it.

Sure we've all attempted to pull out a weed only to find it defeated us.

Found one on a US site for $21 came to £36 when shipping calculated but then said Don't Ship - doh!   Toyo its Euros 35 plus the rest I imagine.  Will bend back and see fragility.

Too damn cold, biting wind today,  so Jacks etc.  out of car but will have to wait a bit longer.

Anyone seen these.  If they were Gold or Black and guaranteed not to  melt then I'd buy a set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-3D-Red-4PCS-Car-Universal-Disc-Brake-Caliper-Covers-Front-Rear/263669503795?fits=Model%3ALS400|Make%3ALexus&hash=item3d63ed5733:g:jRIAAOSw4jFa8UPb#shpCntId

What looks like a bent back plate is in fact the design to scoop in air.

What has broken away is the lower rear of the plate which I've drilled and wired as a temporary fix.  Not ideal but necessary until I can buy a replacement plate.

IMG_2923.JPG

On 3/23/2019 at 1:14 PM, runsgrateasanut said:

Anyone had this problem with the LS400?

I can hear this annoying clicking noise when driving and having looked at the front D/S wheel I think I've spotted a tear in the brake air scoop or whatever its called.  Has shown up another possible problem with the balljoint and thats what its vibrating against.

Guessing its a big job having to take everything off the hub to replace. Couldn't find replacement part listed on Rock Auto unless I'm not naming it correctly, and unsure if this is the style of back plate? 

http://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/2000x2000/80-img_7007_d62a90e4bea342550418b14eec5fa4a395529885.jpg

IMG_2917.JPG

Hi Stuart, 

We can price the parts you for you if you like, We Offer Genuine Lexus Parts Cheaper than Main Dealers.

Here is the enquiry form 

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/contact-us-genuine-lexus-parts/

You can quote me if you like - I beleive the part number is

Lexus Part No.: 47781-50020

COVER, DISC BRAKE DUST, FRONT RH   (This is passenger on LHD so should be OK for my Drivers side.)

I found this old thread

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/73605-brake-dust-shield/