Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Behold! The cable works - just.

Habu

Firstly, the US cable works fine with my Iphone XS Max.  The ES and my NX both recognise the iPhone in the infotainment system.  You need to remove the rubber USB cover first (don’t worry, it clips back on).  The USB end of the cable works either side like Apple’s lightning cable and, yes, you can close the lid!  But it’s a tight fit.  For example, when you press the lid release button you’ve got to give it a gentle hand to release as the cable has wedged it shut.  The cable, however, is braided so should put up with some abuse.

Any questions - just ask.

And now the pics...

C8021E92-9460-4E22-A08D-5131FA1A818F.jpeg

4D530528-91E3-412A-A63F-A7EA7A1A99AF.jpeg

E10C982A-3752-46CB-A2FB-09D978A07031.jpeg

E1787693-2558-478C-9FE0-B3609280693A.jpeg

D8E53667-47FB-42D2-8CC0-927C6797CAC8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Habu said:

Firstly, the US cable works fine with my iPhone XS Max.  The ES and my NX both recognise the iPhone in the infotainment system.  You need to remove the rubber USB cover first (don’t worry, it clips back on).  The USB end of the cable works either side like Apple’s lightning cable and, yes, you can close the lid!  But it’s a tight fit.  For example, when you press the lid release button you’ve got to give it a gentle hand to release as the cable has wedged it shut.  The cable, however, is braided so should put up with some abuse.

And now the pics...

Interesting solution. 

Would the wedging issue be solved by pulling the cable out of the side rather than the front of the lid?

39 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Interesting solution. 

Would the wedging issue be solved by pulling the cable out of the side rather than the front of the lid?

It’s the same gap all the way around but I know what you mean about trying the side.  It almost needs a tiny bit shaving off the underside of the cover to one side.  I’ll explore more when I get my ES in the summer but it’s good to know we have a solution.

• 5 months later...
On 3/23/2019 at 2:55 PM, Habu said:

Firstly, the US cable works fine with my iPhone XS Max.  The ES and my NX both recognise the iPhone in the infotainment system.  You need to remove the rubber USB cover first (don’t worry, it clips back on).  The USB end of the cable works either side like Apple’s lightning cable and, yes, you can close the lid!  But it’s a tight fit.  For example, when you press the lid release button you’ve got to give it a gentle hand to release as the cable has wedged it shut.  The cable, however, is braided so should put up with some abuse.

And now the pics...

I also have this cable, using it as described as above, with the lid closed it is an extremely tight fit. I have tucked most of the cable under the centre tunnel (drivers side) and tend to have the cover open while using the car as I use the slot to hold the phone (Iphone X). If you use the cup or bottle holder to secure the phone, it rattles.

13 minutes ago, Eldavo said:

What does this cable do that Bluetooth doesn’t?

I prefer the music on my Iphone to play in the car via a physical connection rather than BT.  I don’t know if other features work over both BT and a cable.

Can we have the info as to where you purchased the cable please Pete, website, price etc.   This would do very well for my nano ipod and I will be able to place everything in the drinks holder and have nothing showing, my intention all along.

6 hours ago, SH20 said:

Can we have the info as to where you purchased the cable please Pete, website, price etc.   This would do very well for my nano ipod and I will be able to place everything in the drinks holder and have nothing showing, my intention all along.

Here you go...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3ZH1DC9615

• 11 months later...

I know from my Lexus centre that cars ordered from September 2020 will get a slightly revised ES (MY2021) that includes a little bit of revised switchgear around the mirror and window switches but I noticed this on a Japanese site.  I wonder if the revised ES gets a change to the USB cover?  This has always been a pet hate of mine that you’ve got to lift the lid to get to the USBs.

I don’t know if the U.K. 2021 cars will get the new Battery tech.

46ABB3CD-FA16-495B-9203-D04BCDDA7BD6.jpeg

Well, Lexus UK has confirmed that the MY21 ES models due in October will feature a revised USB cover.  So if the photo above is correct do you still need to leave the large cup holder lid open as you currently have to?  I’ve asked Lexus to clarify.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, dennismate said:

Novice here, how do you remove the rubber cover without damaging it?

Just pull it off.  It’s pliable rubber.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links