Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smoking 2007 Lexus IS 220D

My 2007 Lexus IS 220D is smoking, the car has done 130k and i've owned it for around a month. No warning lights are on and there's no smoking while stationary i.e when i rev the car when it's parked up.... i only do short journeys, to and from work which is 2 junctions on the M60 then too and fro from the shops , running the kids to school and so on....I've been reading a few post's on the forum and i'm thinking it could require the EGR valve to be cleaned as i've no idea if this has ever been done and as stated it's got 130k on the clock, also could the short journeys be a factor??? Any help or info would be appreciated.

If your problem is when your driving or acceleration then may be a fuel filter. 

The problem is I think on the is 220 and 250 models its in fuel tank part of the fuel pump I believe.

Its easy accessable as just lift your back seat up and its 4 screws to remove the lid then remove the fuel pump. 

Go on you tube for clips on how to. 

Just get a second opinion before you go spending money on fuel filters but can't do any hard to replace anyway. 

With your driving pattern it's probably trying to do a regen when you get onto the open road, but as your journeys are very short it is not completing the regen and you might find it goes into limp mode ( with EML's) at some point because it has failed to achieve it too many times., one thing I  would do ( but there again I would never have a diesel!) is to take it on a good run ( constant throttle) for at least An hour and see if that makes a difference.

plenty of posts on this forum containing same problem.....

Important Note: Please check your engine oil level ( via dipstick) to ensure that the level has not Increased as a side effect of failed regens can be diluted engine oil.

Paul m.

Cheers Paul,

Was thinking along the same lines......gonna take her for a blast upto Lancaster tomorrow and see how she get's on......i think i'll be a lot wiser to the issue once i've let her get a head of speed up for a good 60 miles or so👍👍👍👍

Yeah been checking the oil regularly and it's pretty constant to be honest, daft thing is if i put my foot down and give her some welly there's not 1 puff of smoke,  if i drive like an old lady she belches like a wrongun......

Software update?

Had the same problem. Used the youtube clips referenced elsewhere in this forum and cleaned the EGR valve thoroughly.

However, this was not enough as well as long ru s (multiple).

Ended up taking it to Lexus. Came back a new car, response was as new. Consumption was great and of course no smoke even in very cold weather (<= 0) - which is when it predominantly manifested itself.

From Lexus I was informed that they (re)cleaned the EGR, did a Software Update, and since no other faults were found, that was all they did for this issue.

Note that, my driving routes are mainly city driving which is not ideal for diesels. Also i've had the car for 11years now and I don't think the egr and onwards had ever been cleaned :(

I would take it to Lexus, worth the trouble imho.

Just to add... they did things by the "book" and attached is what they used. 

As you'll see, could be anything from MAF, 5th Injector,... ECU update.

Good luck on a fantastic car!

1.PNG

2.PNG

Can I ask what Lexus Dealers it was that carried out this work? ( as your location is showing as Non-UK)

Because it is Nice to see that the problem was attacked in a logical and thorough manner, without just throwing parts at it. 

You could quite easily have been charged for Air Filter Element & MAF Sensor replacement  for example, And as the car is now running as it should you probably would have swallowed the additional costs.

paul m.

Cheers everyone for the info, really appreciated👍👍👍👍.

I  think i'm going to take it in to Lexus next week and let them have a looksie at it, i'm thinking along the lines of Ode, don't think the EGR has been cleaned in it's lifetime so hopefully that and the software update will do the trick....

Unfortunately i don't think Lexus Bolton will be as efficient as your local dealership in Germany .....but i have got the copy of your repair procedure which you uploaded and i will ask them to follow it to a "T"

Many thanks Steve.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links