Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recently it's been getting more difficult to screw my fuel cap back on.  Realised yesterday that it's because the whole filler neck has raised to the point where the cap touches the body.  Common problem? Common fix?

Hmm - odd one. I used the petrol pump to lever it down and it seemed to move back with a little resistance. I've been having intermittent pressure issues (as in the cap making odd sucking noises when the car is running) i wonder if it's linked?

In the past I have heard of petrol cap vents blocking with crud causing a pressure build up and the actual petrol tank partially imploding thus reducing tank capacity. Could this be the issue if the tank no longer fits properly? 

That is a sign of the pressure release valve in the filler neck being blocked or stuck there is always a release of pressure when the tank is getting empty as the gases are more able to form in the tank .That pressure can also form as unused petrol is recirculated from the injection system .

There is a pressure release valve in the tank preset to release excess ,that is faulty if your neck is expanding to the extent you suggest.

The cap itself may be faulty and trying a different cap may solve the problem.

The tank sits behind the rear seat in a upright position .the removal of the fabric panels in the boot gives access to the tank and filler pipe which can be removed for inspection .

Before you go down this road try another filler cap.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:15 AM, ambermarine said:

The tank sits behind the rear seat in a upright position .the removal of the fabric panels in the boot gives access to the tank and filler pipe which can be removed for inspection .

Before you go down this road try another filler cap.

I order my new cap but thought I'd check behind the panel you mentioned anyway.  All seems present and correct - no fuel smells. No fuel smells under the bonnet either.  The plot thickens.

Thanks for the advice so far, guys. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links