Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Please do some 'homework' on this before taking the plunge, +1 on going for the 250 instead and save yourself from the headaches that are commonplace on this forum regarding the 220D.

Paul m.

I have a Toyota auris 2.0d4d so know the problems of the diesel engine I have to clean my egr valve about every 6 months.i will have look into the 250 going to view a 220d tomorrow 

+ considering current diesel prices (+10p/litre) and increasing bans on city centres I doubt it is even cheaper running one, even without considering IS220d has a lot of problems compared to "nearly" problem free IS250 Auto.

My answer in short would be - do not even consider IS220d.

• Like 1

Hi fuller30, you will love a Lexus when you are in one. Best car I ever had, the se-l trim level is superb for an older car. I have an is220d, love the car but hate the engine. Try and find an is250 even if you have to travel, it will be worth it. Don’t know your budget but don’t discount going up a level into a gs. 

Plenty of choice out there, just try to avoid the is220d unless you live on the motorway and enjoy cleaning egr valves

• Like 2

As mentioned above, the main issues if you’re seriously considering any diesel  (especially one approaching 100k) will be the state of the EGR valve and DPF, aswell as the turbo. 

If your driving mainly comprises short trips or commutes through slow & heavy traffic then the petrol option will be a better bet. Diesels need regular long distance motorway hauls and stellar mileage to ensure sufficient heat soak to keep the engine de-clogged, and even that’s no guarantee of problem-free driving. You could delete those components from your car, but that’s now a technical mot fail.  Given the fuel cost differential, pending city zone restrictions and the general demonisation of derv, you need a pretty solid reason to buy one right now. Used prices are clearly fairly attractive at the moment given all the above. It might look like a short term bargain but you’ll need to weigh in the points raised by contributors above.

Lexus doesn’t possess the years of diesel heritage compared to many of the German brands. It was a short term venture for them and now firmly shunned. If it was my money, I’d be looking at the green pump, but best of luck with whatever you choose. (Ex diesel driver now in an Is300h and loving it). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pink said:

but that’s now a technical mot fail.  

Lexus doesn’t possess the years of diesel heritage compared to many of the German brands.

It is not "technical" - it is outright MOT fail and has always been, just that now they actually check for it and rules more strict. "Sir do you have filter which prevents carcinogenic soot to from killing everyone around you - NO... I have removed it because of reasons"

Secondly, German brands have exactly same issues as Lexus IS220d, with exception of head-gasket and injectors. Even on german diesels on "city-cycle" you will have ERG, DPF and Turbo issues... diesel as a fuel type simply not suitable for short journeys.

Otherwise, agree with the rest - IS220d is cheap for a reason, unreliable and undesirable + strange gearbox. I am sure Lexus would have sold heaps more with auto.

I agree with all the negatives. Previous use of the car is unknown. 

I have an acquaintance who without my knowledge 3 months ago purchased a lovely 08 220diesel. He is now driving a petrol Mercedes as the Lexus was constantly in the garage. Fortunately he bought from a trade seller and was able to px the Lexus back without too much cost. 

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

I agree with all the negatives. Previous use of the car is unknown. 

I have an acquaintance who without my knowledge 3 months ago purchased a lovely 08 220diesel. He is now driving a petrol Mercedes as the Lexus was constantly in the garage. Fortunately he bought from a trade seller and was able to px the Lexus back without too much cost. 

This probably highlights the need to do some research before buying, they prob thought that Diesels were better on fuel and the only difference was you had to use a black hose at the garage. Yes back in the early day of mass produced fleet cars ( early 80's I think Ford pushed their 1.8 DERV's "Quiet-Quick & Clean" was the promo tag line ) they were 'more user friendly' you could even run them on veg oil,  but now, for obvious reasons, there is a lot more ancillary equipment fitted to try and deal with the fact that they are not so Clean and this kit is primarily the cause of problems. The underlying heavy oil engine is still very good for what it does, it is a high torque, low revving workhorse that should run with a continuous constant heavy load for long durations ( hours, days or weeks even) , ie ships, generators or pumps and not in a Landy doing the school run for 8 mins ( with Stop/Start!) twice a day! 

Paul m.

I have to add my story to this thread. Fuller 30..like all the other guys are saying be think carefully and read  the advice. I owned a 56plate 220d SE.. done 80K, full history etc, what a lovely car, had the Levenson stereo, full grey leather and the reverse camera and really comfortable. Weird gearbox but I loved the car. As I do long motorway runs for work, I thought it would have been ok however as the mileage increases I did start to have the problems with it that everyone mentions.

So yes I had a new EGR fitted, I had Lexus do the DPF clean because it went into limp mode, as my local garage couldn't fix so  that was about £350. I was so conscious of the issues I was using BP ultimate all the time and I even had the fuel filter changed by Lexus .. anything to try to keep it all clean but then its started to become really Smokey, blue-black smoke when under acceleration so not just it doing its DPF regen.. so it was then I decided it had to go. I part ex it and bought the CT about 2 years ago and I  check Mot and Tax online it has never been tax or had a Mot since so I can only presume its scrapped now.  Mine was a older one being on a 56plate and I read that some modification had been done on the newer ones so therefore may not be as problematic. 

just hope this helps when making your decision to buy!

Just thought I would add my opinion, I have the 200d 11 plate and has 123k on it and not had a single problem with it and yes it does do more short journeys than long so obviously the problems that the 220d has the 200d hasn't or I might just be lucky. I can't fault the car at all. Since changing jobs not so many miles a day to be done ...the next one in a couple of years will be petrol. 

No, you have not been lucky, the 200d is a different beast to the 220d.

August 2010

Lexus IS undergoes its most significant revisions since the current generation model was launched in 2005. Changes for the 2011 model year formally revealed at the Paris motor show, are not simply a matter of sharper styling: Lexus has gone to the heart of the ownership experience to make the IS an even more appealing prospect, not least to those choosing it as a company car.

Central to this strategy is the introduction of the new IS 200d, which delivers improved fuel economy, lower emissions and reduced tax bills. Replacing the previous IS 220d, it is available to order now, priced from £24,350 (IS 200d SE) on the road.

The V6 petrol engine featured in the IS 250 and IS 250C coupe-convertible with six-speed automatic transmission has also been revised to meet future Euro5 emissions standards, achieving better fuel economy and CO2 emissions with no penalty in performance.

Focus of the styling changes is the F-Sport grade, which now echoes even more loudly the looks of its ultra-high-performance sister, the IS F, to strengthen its appeal among younger drivers. Meanwhile all IS models equipped with high-intensity discharge (HID) headlights gain LED daytime running lights and across the range there are new wheel designs, new rear light designs and a revised choice of exterior colours.

Replacing the previous IS 220d, the new IS 200d delivers stronger fuel economy, lower emissions and a more refined and smoother drive.

The new 148bhp version of the 2.2-litre diesel engine benefits from detailed engineering revisions and is equipped with a diesel particulate filter (DPF) to meet Euro 5 emissions standards and enhance the engine’s driving quality.

The changes include a re-shaped combustion chamber and the use of new-generation piezoelectric fuel injectors to give a more efficient, cleaner and complete fuel burn. Pressure in the common rail injection system has been increased. a higher flow exhaust gas recirculation valve has been introduced and the adoption of a new oil-cooled, variable nozzle turbocharger improves torque performance at low speeds and cuts overall engine noise.

Maximum power of 148bhp is delivered at 3,600rpm, with peak torque of 340Nm on tap from 2,000rpm, allowing for nought to 62mph acceleration in 10.2 seconds. Combined cycle fuel consumption is 55.4mpg and emissions are 134g/km, compared to 50.4mpg and 148g/km for the IS 220d.

As well as saving money at the pumps, owners enjoy a lower annual road tax charge – Band E rather than F for Vehicle Excise Duty. For company car tax payers there is a further bonus in the reduction of the Benefit-in-Kind tax rating from 21 to 18 per cent for the new model.For the 2011 model year the IS 250 becomes and automatic-only model, with revisions to the powertrain that ensure compliance with Euro 5 emissions standards.

Power and torque are unchanged from the super-smooth V6 are unchanged at 205bhp and 252Nm, but combined cycle fuel consumption improves from 31.7 to 33.6mpg, with a concurrent fall in CO2 output from 209 to 194g/km. As a result the model’s BiK tax rating is cut from 30 to 27 per cent.

Yes, go for the 250.

I have owned my IS 220D for nearly 12 months and in that time have had no major trouble. changed an injector seal a few weeks ago and that's been it. covered 7,000 miles in that time and now on 181,700 miles. I use it for rural journeys and a bit of town and a weekly 30 mile each way journey on a dual carriageway at 2,300rpm in 5th for at least 25 minutes. Rarely use 6th gear.

I haven't cleaned the EGR yet, and so far, touch wood, runs fault free.

Last Sat, went to Brum from near Burton On Trent the 28 miles there, drove around 5 miles in town and returned home the 28 miles and showing 39.5mpg. 

Economy on short, less than 15 miles seems to be around 28-33mpg, more if less than 60mph around 38mpg according to computer. Seems the warmer the engine and longer journey at less speed gives better economy.

Any major issues I'll ditch my 220D, which would be a shame but not worth a lot. You do get a lot for your money though, apart from mine, is a base spec. Even ones that have issues seem to get £800 for, so probably eBay it.

Saying all that I would go for a Hybrid. Fancy a GS 450H.

James.

Lex1.jpg

Lex3.jpg

On 3/28/2019 at 12:34 AM, Scouselexus said:

Hi rob how much you asking? What colour is the car and interior? Does it have the optional ml system and sunroof? Any pics for us nosy people? Sounds a good is250, might tempt the op to buy yours.

If you could PM me, I will send you a link.