Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sepentine alternator belt

LS430 coming up to 60,000 miles. Thought it might be prudent to replace the belt. Is it a case of release automatic tensioner, feed new belt in, and re-tension? Anyone done one, and what is the recommended replacement mileage?

I did mine three or four weeks ago, dead easy.  As you say, just release the tension and do the reverse.  About a 10 min job. I bought a Contitech belt from ECP, about £20. This diagram shows the tensioner.

IMG_20190325_162924370.jpg

29 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I did mine three or four weeks ago, dead easy.  As you say, just release the tension and do the reverse.  About a 10 min job. I bought a Contitech belt from ECP, about £20. This diagram shows the tensioner.

IMG_20190325_162924370.jpg

My Japanese is a bit rusty Hhhmmmm! Bit would I be right in guessing that that sticker is 'saying' something along the lines of,

Inspect at 15,000km ( 9,000 Miles), Then

every 12 Months,. And

Replace at. 50,000 km ( 30,000 Miles) And

At 100,000 km ( 60,000 Miles)  Which is the point you are now at?

paul m.

Just used google translate and it comes back as this.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tinonline said:

😉 For the cost of a new belt...I'd replace it anyway but given your mileage I wouldn't think twice.

You need two pairs of hands for this  - or that's just me...ha ha ha

That was my thinking, only a cheap part so bung a new one on.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps. I always use to replace the 'fan belt' on every second-hand 'new' car as a matter of course and keep the old one in the boot as a spare. These serpentine belts seem to go for ever, but do so much more than the old 3 pulleys.

This video is useful.  For £22.42p at ECP seems the best option. Continental belts are German and as ever great.

• Like 1

10 mins, is that including making the coffee?  Probably the easiest belt I have ever replaces, loads of room to work it, it was actually a pleasure to do. 2 mins tops. 

3 minutes ago, 6500RPM said:

10 mins, is that including making the coffee?  Probably the easiest belt I have ever replaces, loads of room to work it, it was actually a pleasure to do. 2 mins tops. 

It was slightly trickier on mine as the coolant reservoir is behind the radiator so less room to get the hands down there.  A few minor cuts and scrapes! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

UPDATE

Did a service today and replaced the belt. It really is an easy 10 mins as stated. Getting the old one on is a bit tricky and 4 hands would help but it went on OK in the end. Euro Car parts £21.73p with the usual discount. A Continental and really 'Made in Germany'. Very strong too, and the perfect length. Old one in the boot as an 'emergency spare'.

The picture below show the old 70,000 mile original belt. Usual cracking but not too bad really, as there were no very deep cracks.

P1040424.JPG