Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The noise puzzle IS250

Hello

i get a squealing/whistling noise from my is250. The noise is quite pronounced when I slowly step on the brakes and only at low speeds. Hard braking or when at >20mph generates no sound. It’s also there but less audible when driving off, once it’s at >20mph the sound is gone. 

Any ideas what this might be? I got the brakes cleaned (pads are new) but that didn’t help. 

Thanks!

First port of call gotta be giving the brakes a good going over, quite simple technically but not if your a novice perhaps.

Please don’t be going into Halfrauds or KwikRip with these symptoms unless you got a spare ‘Arm and a Leg’.

if you’re adept with (and have) some spanner’s then plenty of ‘how to’ videos on Utoob concerning IS brakes, if not then a good indie should be able to sort this easily notwithstanding Lexus of course in you have got a fat wallet or had 5 numbers come up on lotto!

paul m

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks both, will go through the suggested options. 

I’ll probably end up taking to an indie to get this checked out and ask them to have a look at the callipers. Any idea how much that should cost to replace?

Also one point to note, I get the sound when driving off at low speeds too (basically in traffic when car is in drive but I’m not pressing down on the accelerator) so it’s not just when I’m using the brakes. 

10 minutes ago, Hazza said:

Thanks both, will go through the suggested options. 

I’ll probably end up taking to an indie to get this checked out and ask them to have a look at the callipers. Any idea how much that should cost to replace?

Also one point to note, I get the sound when driving off at low speeds too (basically in traffic when car is in drive but I’m not pressing down on the accelerator) so it’s not just when I’m using the brakes. 

Hi Sid,

For the price of the Calipers, fill in this form and we can price them up for you, We supply Genuine Lexus Parts cheaper than main dealers

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/contact-us-genuine-lexus-parts/

The IS has a known re-occuring problem with its calipers, the slide pins can become siezed in posistion not allowing the caliper to 'float' and move posistion very slightly to allow for pad/disc wear. if caught early it can just be a case of stripping down cleaning and regreasing the pins and all is good but if left too long pins can be beyond repair. it is a shame as this very easy and simple procedure is not in any Lexus service schedule and Lexus themself will not strip clean and regrease but reccomend new cailpers ( ouch £££'s) so a good indie should be able to 'repair' the calipers at a first port of call and getting new calipers is a last option.

Paul m.

• Thanks 1

Check this vid , These points should be checked as well as the infamous slide pins.

Note: for 'Rotors' read Disc's and note that your pad/clips and fixings will look slightly different ( think it was a IS 350 used in video)