Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed Camera Alerts While Travelling In France

Did you know that, while your built in satnav warns you of the location of fixed speed cameras via two audible beeps and an icon displayed on the screen, it will not do so when travelling through France?

The following article relates (incidentally, this is not new!):

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/radar-detectors-in-france.html

Noticed on a recent trip to mid-France that there are lots of new sites.  Most were disabled while they are being calibrated for the new, non motorway speed limit of 80 km, down from 90km.  Great pity as the well maintained roads, in comparison to the Uk, are little used.  Better road safety step imo would be to increase penalties for poor driving. Too much tailgating and overtaking on solid lines or around bends. 

Its not about safety. 2022 and your new car will be speed limited at all times by GPS. So to do that the system needs to know where your car is at all times....hmmmm

Sent from my BV5800 using Tapatalk

Do you wear your tin foil hat all the time? Or take it off when you go to bed? I've heard they probe you while you're asleep :tongue:

In other news, I notice Google Maps navigation now gives you camera warnings. Made a trip to Birmingham on Saturday even less enjoyable that it usually is.

58 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

In other news, I notice Google Maps navigation now gives you camera warnings. Made a trip to Birmingham on Saturday even less enjoyable that it usually is.

I also hear that Google Maps will soon be displaying speed limits.

15 hours ago, Comedian said:

Its not about safety. 2022 and your new car will be speed limited at all times by GPS. So to do that the system needs to know where your car is at all times....hmmmm

Well, the EU has directed that all new cars from 2022 be fitted with speed control devices as a prerequisite for its satellite tracking and control systems. The infrastructure to action this function has yet to be built and will not be in place by 2022.

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

Do you wear your tin foil hat all the time? Or take it off when you go to bed? I've heard they probe you while you're asleep :tongue:

A strange response. Feel better having convinced yourself?

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/military/china-using-computerised-cars-to-track-its-citizens-movements-habits/news-story/c6d60fc61022b815ca3a44005249c98b  

3 hours ago, DanD said:

I also hear that Google Maps will soon be displaying speed limits.

Almost certain to. Don't they own Waze? Waze already does all this.

2 hours ago, Comedian said:

I added the :tongue: to indicate a light hearted response. And last time I looked the UK wasn't run by the Chinese Communist Party. I'll add another of these just in case :tongue:

On 3/26/2019 at 12:29 PM, DanD said:

Did you know that, while your built in satnav warns you of the location of fixed speed cameras via two audible beeps and an icon displayed on the screen, it will not do so when travelling through France?

Yes, any sort of device offering a way to defeat speed cams has been illegal in France for many years I believe.

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

And last time I looked the UK wasn't run by the Chinese Communist Party. 

I don't believe I implied that it is. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, can I just check, if driving through France in your Lexus that has sat nav based speed camera detection, the detection function will automatically switch itself off ?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Driven a lot in France/Italy & Belgium /Holland & never had an issue & the French always give Signpost Notice.

What is an issue is that the Auto-Route Cops have a habit of either parking on the exit slip-road of their numerous tree lined Rest Areas or in front of the Farmers Gate that borders the slow lane.

Finally be aware that speed in rain is lower than dry & speeds can be measured between Tolls.

Tel

p/s Italy is still the Motorists Friend !