Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alcantara steering wheel for my LS400

Firstly, I find the posts on this forum invaluable for keeping my car on the road. 

My 1998 LS400 has been my daily driver for the last 30 months. It's now done 105k miles, I've had a BRC LPG conversation, much of the front and some of the rear suspension renewed and after a recent 4 wheel alignment is handling beautifully. The leather on the steering wheel is in poor condition and hasn't improved with my attempt to restore it. I bought an old 1998 wheel on eBay for £10 and had it slightly padded, thumbpads added and covered in dark grey alcantara by Royal Steering Wheels in Bucks. It arrived today and I've swapped it for the original, see picture below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EFF9kBbSYAkwneCp6

So far I'm really impressed, really comfortable.

• Like 2

Thanks! It was £190, they will fit it for £20, I wasn't driving out that way so had it posted and bought a steering wheel puller for £10 on eBay. I've always thought that the LS has a clear, clean dash that doesn't show it's age. The style of the wheel seems to make the interior of the car current (I was concerned it would look out of place, hence I kept the original wheel, but I don't think it will be going back on

I'm well pleased with this which at under £20 I've recently bought a second set so I could cover the bottom.  Original wheel actually in superb condition leather wise and didn't have to stick it on, so it can be removed without damage.  (Excuse all the fiddly stuff - nothing better to do that day !)

IMG_2837.JPG

10 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

I'm well pleased with this which at under £20 I've recently bought a second set so I could cover the bottom.  Original wheel actually in superb condition leather wise and didn't have to stick it on, so it can be removed without damage.  (Excuse all the fiddly stuff - nothing better to do that day !)

IMG_2837.JPG

Probably not a good idea to stick anything on the airbag - unless you want a new pair of wooden eyebrows if you stack it!

• Haha 3

Yes Cotswold Pete much nicer to drive now. It's not cold on a cool morning (1st world problems!) and is really comfortable with the extra thickness and thumb grips. I've got my original Mark 4 1998 beige wheel if anyone is struggling to get a donor wheel (it takes a couple of weeks for Royal to turn them around).

On a side note, I also bought a dark grey wheel that I used for the dark gray airbag in my original photo, the donor car, a 1998 LS400 had only done 50k miles and the leather is still almost a new matt finish - so I couldn't live with myself to get this stripped and re-covered! If anyone is after a really nice original wheel (without the airbag and trip computer switches on the photo) then let me know (moderators, apologies if this is the wrong place to say this!)

Screenshot 2019-03-27 at 22.41.53.png

QUOTE: Probably not a good idea to stick anything on the airbag - unless you want a new pair of wooden eyebrows if you stack it!

You are right, David, I took them off the following day for that reason.  Already have Denis Healeys, so don't need a top up!

• Haha 1