Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential Exhaust issue?

Trying to figure out wjhere the problem is.

Is it the rear section or the middle section?

I have a complete middle section (second hand) that I bought before I go a Powerflow stainless steel one made up.  If you think that would help you out let me know.  Not wanting masses of dosh for it but postage would be a bit I suspect....I'm in Aberdeen. Scotland.  Second Powerflow guys as well.  They made me a complete cat back for £700, which sounds a lot but the Lexus part would have been £1900 all in.  Complete exhaust from manifold back is £3500ish.

I'm completely befuddled now.

The exhaust has four components - two manifolds (containing a cat each), a front section (also containing two cats and a resonator) and a tail section (which includes two back boxes).

Thinking about Mo's picture - the only joint with a cat close to it is the one between the manifold and the front section, but the front cat is forward of the joint, whereas the pic is labelled with a cat behind. The rear cats (in the front section) are way back and nowhere near a joint. Mo talks about two joints/gaskets - which must be the ones between the manifolds and front section. the manual doesn't show springs on the bolts of those joints. The single joint between the front section and tail section does have springs - it has the resonator close in front of it and nothing but the Y joint and back boxes behind.

So - Mo - which joint is your pic?.

Ken - what do you mean by 'cat back' and middle section? Is it front cats back - ie manifolds back (ie front section and tail section and therefore including two rear cats and the resonator)) or just the tail section including two back boxes? What does £3500 get you - a front section and tail section or including manifolds (but you say manifolds back)? I can't understand the difference between cat back and manifold back (as the cats are included in the manifolds). Which part exactly did PowerFlow do for £700?

(My car is 2006 and still on original exhaust so I'm thinking all this might be relevant sometime soon!)

Manifolds.jpg

front and tail exhaust.jpg

14 minutes ago, johnatg said:

which must be the ones between the manifolds and front section

Hi John, Paul & Ken,

For some strange reason my phone hasn't alerted me to the posts on this thread so apologies to the radio silence. The image I posted was from google images and not the actual car. 

John you are correct in stating that its the gasket joint between the manifold and the front. I'll try and take a proper picture at some point today if I can reach it. 

Kind regards,

Mo

So that labelled pic is not actually Mo’s car then!!!!!!

And the joint in question ( 1 of two the same ) is fixed without springs at the front. 

Paul m

On 3/30/2019 at 1:50 PM, baviaannl said:

Trust me, you're about to loose your backbox, my symptoms were exactly the same as yours.  Do you know someone handy at welding?  Get him to investigate, this will save you a fortune

Yes it's not a picture of my car, my Appologees but my phone didn't alert me when the thread was updated thus I didn't reply.

On 4/3/2019 at 12:50 PM, mk_lon said:

I have attached a diagram showing where the problem lies, hopefully that should clear it up

Capture.JPG

There are 4 cats in this picture and on my car.

Two on the front two manifold sections and two in the middle section.  I have a spare, second hand, middle section.

My new exhaust replaces everything from the joint between the middle and front section backwards.  So i got the two middle section cats replaced.  The front two manifold sections are the originals.

£3500ish from Lexus gets you a complete new exhaust. 

The two Y joints on the middle section and the rear sections are known weak spots.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links