Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Removal

abcdescott

Hi guys 

just looking for some advice.

Do you guys think I can remove the front sub frame lower it all and remove the Engine and gearbox in the one then refit the suspension/ subframe ?

Happy to put a tutorial up just dont have a hoist to remove the engine etc :/

Also on another note, are these engine rather solid or do you think a rebuild/upgrade is worth anything ? I'm building a drifter and wanting to keep the engine in gd shape thinking if I have a spare I can rebuild it etc. Ideas ?

Not quite sure what you're asking. If you want to lower the engine and transmission for removal, you need to put it up on a ramp initially and make the assessment from underneath. Will removal of the sub frame and other suspension/drive components give you enough space for the lowering?

The spare engine confuses me more. If you plan doing this more than once, surely you'd get set up for removal from the top.

Thanks for your reply and sorry if I didn't make myself clear, basically just looking to have a spare engine in case mine goes bang! 

Just looking to make sure I can remove everything attaching the front suspension that will allow me to drop the engine out. I basically don't have a hoist but am still looking to take the engine out, this is my thinking. 

Do you think there is any other ways to take the engine and gearbox out without a hoist ?

It's a straight 6 2L block so neat and tidy. You'll need a lift to raise the car when you lower the engine. So certainly doable.

Look inside your engine bay and get a feel for the work space you have. Then look from underneath with all the plastic shields removed to see the drop channel.

Have you ever dropped an engine block before?

hmm don't have a lift, was just going to lift the car onto jack stands probably a ft or 2 off the ground, take the crash bar etc all off drop everything that holds it to the car then roll it away out from the front of the car. 

I done this or similar to this on my corsa, wee bit different I know but same principle ? just didn't know what would be connected etc on the car whilst I dropped the subframe etc. 

Just need to make a day out of it 😛

Thanks 😄

• 8 months later...

So Everyone !!!

Been a long time since I started  this thread but its now done. 

Engine and gearbox out and car is away to the scrap ! So good news and bad news …. it is possible to drop the front axel (subframe) and have the engine taken out this way, however it means the car needs to be lifted as there is a support beam at the front of the car which either needs cut or something to just pull it out. (I ended up cutting it as it was going to the scrap anyway 😛

Hardest part was trying to get it to stay on the wooden pallet I had it sitting on whilst the car was being dragged onto the flatbed. wasn't good, especially when the gearbox got caught on the transmission tunnel 😞

But thanks for everyone's support, no one was hurt during all of this, bar a few scuffed knuckles and small cuts. oh and yeah when you are dropping the front axel, make sure your toes are out of the way... Glad I had my steeliest on :P.

If anyone is interested, you need to remove, the steering column, the triangle support on the underside, shock and then just 4 bolts, oh and the gearbox support. after that give the engine a wiggle, and the front axel drops 😄

• Like 1