Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Needed - LS400 Mk iv

My LS 400 MK iv has just developed a 'tick tick' noise - increases with acceleration.

Took it to my local indie (don't know how good they are) and they said that without stripping it

down (3 to 4 hours they said) they could not know for sure but thought it was the camshaft making

the noise.

I love the car but can not afford to spend a lot of money on it.

Your thoughts please.

Does the tick-tick speed increase with engine RPM or with vehicle speed?
If with RPM then could be a valve lifter that has worn too far or a problem with one of the belts (timing or serpentine).
Very unlikely to be a problem with a camshaft but would need to localise the problem in the motor with a stethoscope.
If a lifter is worn, then the cam will need to come out to replace it.

Stuart. I thought it might be the serpentine. I had it replaced about 4 years ago.

I am going to try another indie and see what he says. I am too old to go 

fiddling about in the engine compartment. I have used the car almost every day for the last nine

years and have looked after it.

George. If it is the lifter is that a huge job. i.e. would it be worth it ?

• Like 1

An easy way to rule out the belt is to spray silicone on it as it runs, actually, even spraying water on will be almost as good. If the noise goes immediately you know it's likely to be the belt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stericker said:

would it be worth it ?

what other car would you consider buying and running then ?

Don't forget these amazing beasts are almost bullet proof with good and regular and timely maintenance ........ if you have done that over your ownership time it's probably something relatively simple but if it was to be the cambelt area then surely it's worth paying relatively little to sort it out !

Malc

I'd've thought the garage has made its suggestion based on the diagnosis that the noise is from the engine. No harm getting a second opinion.

If the noise is from in there then they can only find out the nature of the issue, as well as the extent of it, once they've opened it. Another way of saying you most likely need an engine overhaul.

As to the arithmetic, you need a quote to decide. You should be able to get a ballpark figure without anyone taking stuff apart.

If the noise is not from the engine then never go back to this garage! I can't imagine two garages making the same basic mistake in diagnosis so chances are the garage you go to for the second opinion will give you a better feel for the problem.

As a test, see if the noise is different when revving up in idle as opposed to accelerating whilst driving. For a belt issue there won't be much difference. But in any case, get that second opinion.

Best of luck.

Bless you all for your responses. I have decided to get a second opinion next week.

I discovered that the first indie had just used a stethoscope and had not bothered to

look any further. Malcolm - it has done 150,000 and yes, I am wedded to the LS range.

George. The tick-tick increases with RPM.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:09 AM, stericker said:

has just developed a 'tick tick' noise - increases with acceleration.

just remembered ..  I had this ............ turned out to be simply a stone ( or more ) in the tyre tread !

Maybe as simple as that for you

Malc

Good luck with proper investigation.

I know from experience that everytime I hear a 'new' noise I start worrying what it might be, especially given my naff hearing (to many Black Sabbath and Status Quo concerts back in the 70s).

2 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I know from experience that everytime I hear a 'new' noise I start worrying what it might be, especially given my naff hearing (to many Black Sabbath and Status Quo concerts back in the 70s).

There is no such thing as too many Black Sabbath and Status Quo concerts  🙂

5 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Having been to sooo many Groundhogs gigs in the 70's I'm surprised I'm not totally mutton!

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links