Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can any of you guys tell me what makes a gs430 sport different from a standard se spec? Do they have a different chassis numbers or is there any other way of telling one from a se that has had sport bits added? Hope that makes sense.

Basically suspension height (20 mm lower) better handling, 18" alloy wheels and different front grill plus rear spoiler - the sport whether dealer modified or the July 2003 model should have much tighter handling and a harder ride than the GS430 SE.

GS430 sport cars between 2001 - June 2003 do handle differently from the July 2003 ones (as owned both), the July 2003 ones have (in my opinion) slightly sharper handling but the 2001 onwards GS430 sport cars still handle much better than the standard car. The 2001 - July 2003 cars were dealer modified I believe and look externally identical to the post July 2003 cars, but Lexus officially launched the GS430 sport (and relaunched the GS300 sport with smaller lip spoiler) in July 2003 in the UK. Looking at the attached press release they added some additional interior features as well.

Suggest you test drive one as the ride is much stiffer than the standard SE car and may not to be everyone's taste as unlike modern cars, there is no air suspension to tune (or go wrong!). Attached the official Lexus press release from July 2003 which might help.

the-new-lexus-gs300-and-gs430-sport.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for that Scandy . What it is I am trying to figure out wether the car I have bought is a sport or not (bit late after I have purchased it I know) it has the 18 inch sport wheels and rear spoiler but has a tte front lip and grill fitted but it is a 2002 production year. The other two 430's I drove both had different suspension issues (one a broken spring and the other lowered on lowering springs) so I can't really compare the ride in mine to those.

As it's registered before July 2003 it will be a dealer created sport - the only difference I could find between the pre and post July 2003 cars was slightly sharper handling on the July 2003 car as I had a 2001 430 sport before that. As I mentioned externally they look identical even down to the sport written in the back side windows and on the front lip spoiler.  Either way as I said I much prefer the trade off of better handling vs ride in comparison to the standard car.

Hi, my 2001 car is listed as a sport on the service records from the dealer & when I went to insure it they called it a sport from the reg no.  It has the sport logos on the side rear windows and 18" wheels, but also on the sticker on the drivers door pillar it says sport.  The car looks to be sitting at the same height as my old 98 GS300.

IMG_20190318_134713.jpg

IMG_20190324_145923.jpg

This is mine. The reg comes back as a gs430 se the owners manual that came with the car has the same sport wheel sticker in it I cannot remember if it has the one on the inside of the door or not will look when I'm in from work

Screenshot_20190403-141530.png

OK looked this morning and mine has this sticker on the driver's inside door. But it has the above sport sticker in the bookwork for the car. 

The sport logo in the rear windows mentioned above where are these located and would you see them though tints ? Or have I just go a SE model with sport bits added later in its life? Sorry for all the questions.

IMG_20190404_055736.jpg

Can't take a picture of mine as it's in for its annual service currently but sport is written in both of the back curved windows on either side of the car  - nice looking car by the way - my 2001 sport was in the same colour. 

Cheers for all the replys 

After rebuilding both front brakes replacing front drop links and a  02 sensor today I had a little time to look over the car and I think I'm 90% positive I have a gs430se. All the sport bits have over spray on them (on the sides /parts you don't see) making me believe that they have been added later and it doesn't have sport in the rear windows.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links