Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Howdy folks.

My MK3 GS300 has air leaking from all 4 wheels where the tyre beads with the rim. I had the wheels refurbished and put a **** load of sealer on but they still leak!

They are the 17" Rim found on the GS.. Any solution to this or does anyone else suffer this?

I'd definitely discuss with the people who've done the refurbishing. But I'd also check the age of the tyres and if they are standard spec for the rims.

If tyres are suspected, best thing would be to buy a used tyre for one rim and see if that makes a difference.

I had the same problem with the last tyres so when I changed them I thought the problem would go away but no even the new wheels leaked!

I then go them refurbished but the problem still persisted, I then go them to reseal the wheels again but they are leaking again..

Are you sure they checked that wheels are not buckled (unlikely all 4 would be).

Secondly, has valves been changed? Generally, that is recommended every time when changing tyres. Checks as well if valves are sealed properly.

• Thanks 1

Ya the valves are fine I cannot change them as they include the TPMS! 

I am going to get them refurbished again in a different place as the first job was crap.

32 minutes ago, Malachy said:

Ya the valves are fine I cannot change them as they include the TPMS! 

You can renew the cores, may be worth the few pennies it'll cost?

• Thanks 1

My money is on the valves in some way not being 100% perfectly air tight actually, as the chances of all four tyres not sealing correctly on refurbished wheels is pretty slim!

paul m.

You can obtain valve to rim seal kits for the TPMS valves, but a washing up liquid test on them will soon show if this is the problem. Re using the old seals when the valves are re fitted does cause problems, and giving the fitting nuts an extra turn will often brake off the valve stems.

John.

Actually, water with washing liquid test can be quite misleading when talking about leaking tyres. Sure if you have a hole... it will bubble-up, but if you loosing 3 PSI over a week you might need to wait for those bubbles with time-lapse camera.