Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What do you think is the main cause of uneven wear?

Eastwood1994

Thinking about it now, I've had issues with my car because of "uneven wear" on the tyres a fair few times over the years. I quite often find myself having to pay for wheel alignment when getting new rubbers. I was just wondering what anyone has to say about what they think the main cause is? Road surface? Driving style? Weather based on where you live? 

1 minute ago, Eastwood1994 said:

Thinking about it now, I've had issues with my car because of "uneven wear" on the tyres a fair few times over the years. I quite often find myself having to pay for wheel alignment when getting new rubbers. I was just wondering what anyone has to say about what they think the main cause is? Road surface? Driving style? Weather based on where you live? 

The main things that come to mind are worn suspension/steering components, wrong pressures, budget tyres, and although you mentioned it, incorrect wheel alignment.  I think your driving style would need to be consistently bad to cause uneven wear!

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Here’s the main cause!!!!!

ACF854C9-7B4C-4E26-80F4-1EF6BD77FDD7.jpeg

Indirectly, by knocking the suspension geometry out.

You might get tyre cuts by catching an edge though..

It is worth noting that some cars do general tend to wear unevenly anyway. Quite commonly, negative camber on german cars causes the rears to wear on the insides, and positive camber up front causes wear on the outside. Supposed to be better for high speed cornering apparently.

Additionally, all tyres are not the same. Sometimes different brand/type replacement tyres will wear differently to OEM tyres as some tyres will be wider/narrower than others. 

Having said all that, the biggest cause in the UK is town driving. Potholes will knock off the alignment. 

• Like 1

In just 16k miles my rear tyres are showing wear on the inner edges. Perfectly normal according to the service manager. Geometry checked each service and is spot on.

Fronts are wearing evenly across the tread width

On 3/29/2019 at 10:56 AM, Eastwood1994 said:

Improper inflation. See: http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/61

People tend to go by the door placard, not realising that this is specified for the OEM tyres which most people are not running. Modern tyres are made to give a better ride with much higher pressure and can experience uneven wear even when inflated to the pressure indicated on the door placard.

With the car cold, inflate to 10% less than the maximum specified on the tyre sidewall. Adjust downwards until you can live with the ride. Mine are rated 51psi max and I run 44 all round. I posted pics of my tyres in this thread: 

you can see the wear is even across them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 1:58 PM, steve2006 said:

Very true very true, the UK roads are absolutely shocking! Especially near me. They need to start using tax payers' money to sort this kind of thing!

On 4/7/2019 at 1:58 PM, steve2006 said:

I'd certainly swap those for the potholes round here.

One village planted their potholes up with flowers.

John