Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aircon not blowing cold

MadJam250

Hi. I have a 2014 face-lift CT. Put the aircon on, max cold setting, and the air is no colder than without depressing the a/c button. I'll get this checked but was wondering if other CT owners have experienced the same? Maybe related to the hybrid set-up?

This is the first time since my ownership I have used it in cooling mode (it seemed to work fine in demist mode during the winter). 

Thanks.

1 minute ago, MadJam250 said:

Hi. I have a 2014 face-lift CT. Put the aircon on, max cold setting, and the air is no colder than without depressing the a/c button. I'll get this checked but was wondering if other CT owners have experienced the same? Maybe related to the hybrid set-up?

This is the first time since my ownership I have used it in cooling mode (it seemed to work fine in demist mode during the winter). 

Thanks.

It is very likely you have a small leek in the AC system, and the pressure is down. Make sure that wherever you take the car for an AC service they do not use a machine that has been used on normal car AC systems. Standard car AC systems use PAG oil in the compressor, and this oil is conductive to electricity, and will "after a time making it difficult to prove fault even a small amount can contaminate your system" destroy the electrically driven compressors used in hybrid vehicles. Hybrid AC systems use ND11 oil that is none conductive.

John

Lexus dealers usually do a check and recharge for £60 so you may as well go there where they know what they are doing than a fast fit place for almost as much. The system should be tested for leaks before any refilling with ac gas as the stuff isn’t very kind to the environment, reputable garages will do this as part of the ac service. 

before a recharge can be carried out you have to be able to create a vacuum in the system

if there are any leaks then the recharge wont be carried out,when a vacuum is being created

you will hear some rattling sounds, as the vacuum increases the rattling gets less until it stops

then refilling takes place.

Thanks all.

Popped by local dealer and they'll have the car on Tuesday to rectify. They feel it's a probable condenser leak. Chap did say that sometimes hybrids' aircon can be reset (somehow) but felt it was more of a leak than a software matter. He suggested I keep aircon button off to prevent any subsequent damage in meantime. Top class service  from Lexus as always. 

• Like 1

It sounds like you do not run the system on AUTO. Climate control systems work much better if you let them do their thing. If you don't, you run the risk of the seals drying out, which will lead to gas leaking out.

11 minutes ago, DanD said:

It sounds like you do not run the system on AUTO. Climate control systems work much better if you let them do their thing. If you don't, you run the risk of the seals drying out, which will lead to gas leaking out.

True of engine driven AC systems, but not the case with hybrids where the compressor is driven by a 3 phase electric motor housed, and sealed in the same container as the compressor. This means there is no rotating shaft with seal to dry out allowing possible leakage of the gasses used.
The only seals in the system are "O" rings on the pipe joints that do not dry out.
The biggest problem is the vulnerability of the condensers to stone damage as they are generally mounted without any sort of protection from road debris, and are punctured easily.

John. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Britprius said:

True of engine driven AC systems, but not the case with hybrids where the compressor is driven by a 3 phase electric motor housed, and sealed in the same container as the compressor. This means there is no rotating shaft with seal to dry out allowing possible leakage of the gasses used.
The only seals in the system are "O" rings on the pipe joints that do not dry out.
The biggest problem is the vulnerability of the condensers to stone damage as they are generally mounted without any sort of protection from road debris, and are punctured easily.

John. 

7 years of Lexus ownership and I did not know that! Thanks for the useful clarification.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanD said:

7 years of Lexus ownership and I did not know that! Thanks for the useful clarification.

The Hybrid AC system is much more like your house fridge or freezer unit with no external moving parts. The reason it is driven by an electric motor is that with a hybrid the engine may not be running when the car is moving ruling out the engine to drive the compressor. For the same reason the power assistance for the hydraulic brakes is also driven by an electric motor driving a hydraulic pump to store fluid under pressure in an accumulator. The power steering is also has to be electrically driven.
This is at first not noticeable, but once it is understood that the engine can be running intermittently it then becomes an obvious requirement.

John. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, MadJam250 said:

I guess this is partly why the car makes alot of ticking, wheezing and squeaking once the engine is turned off? 

Yes there is even an electrically driven coolant pump that circulates hot coolant from the engine to the heater matrix. Again this is there so that the heater continues to give out heat even though the engine driven coolant pump may be stationary.
Another electric coolant pump pumps coolant around the transmission, and inverter  through a separate radiator to the engine coolant rad. This is there to keep both the transmission, and inverter cool. The inverter can produce up to 3kw of heat energy depending on it's electrical loading.

John.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

2 hours ago, MadJam250 said:

Bit of feedback. Went in and a new a/c condenser fitted. Seems to have been a hole/leak and all covered under warranty. Excellent dealer service as always. 

Great result 😀

Thank you. No quibble on the warranty claim, usual lift to work, free coffee etc and nice chat with service representative. I used to wonder what the fuss was with all the praise for Lexus dealerships until I owned one and started going there. Amazing. All dealerships should treat their customers in this manner.