Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Intermittent clunk when selecting gear, also a whizzing noise on start up

carld

Good evening, I’m after some help and guidance. We have a 64 plate ct that has over the last month or so started to clunk when trying to select either drive or reverse. Any ideas how this needs to be resolved.

2/. When we press start we have now encountered a whizzing type of noise that sounds like the cd playing retrieving a disc but it’s not that. I’ve managed to take a video and upload it onto lexus owners club on twitter.

Hi Colin, I’ve just tried with climate off and stereo off and still the same, I’m thinking it’s some type of fan because it sounds like it’s spinning.

I know you said front end but have a listen around the passenger seat behind the driver. The inlet for the Battery cooling fan is next the rear seat belt on the offside. 

Fan for the cabin heater is probably behind the glove box so you could also stick your head in the passenger footwell and see if it is louder there. 

Thanks Colin, unfortunately it’s not from either. It is definitely coming from the centre of the console from between the gear/sound system up through to the centre air vents.

Not sure about the hybrids but with the others a clunk like the one you mention can be associated with the shift lever bushing. Interesting that the fan noise is also coming from around the shift lever position.

If a seal or bushing has been disturbed, it could explain the clunk and also the fan noise which you can now hear because the sound proofing has been affected.

With a conventional car I'd be looking underneath. But with the hybrids I don't know if this is relevant, so do be judicious in using this explanation.

I believe the gear stick in the CT isn't actually connected to anything, it just signals what the position rather than having a mechanical linkage. This one has me stumped. Looking at the Prius information online (same running gear but more of them so more info) I can't find the same thing. There are some YouTube videos relating to the braking system but it isn't a high pitched a sound.

TBH unless someone comes on here with the answer the best thing is probably to check under the bonnet for anything obvious (e.g low coolant that could cause a pump to make noise) then take a trip to the dealer. Provided it relates to the hybrid system and the car has been serviced by a Lexus dealer then it may well be covered under warranty.

Thanks everyone, looks like a trip to the dealer. It has got full service history until 35000, it’s currently on 39000 but I’ve not had it serviced by ourselves yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Well to update and end this saga, I changed the pollen filter whilst I was waiting for it to go in for its service. Hey presto no more noise. Completely baffled as the old filter was fine with no bits of leaves or any debris.

• Like 1

Thanks Colin. Still get the odd clunk, this happens say in the morning when the car starts and is running, could it be because the car is reving  higher as it’s just started up. Anyway When i select a gear it clunks.