Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This post has also been  placed in the NX section

I have been looking at the Lexus SUV’s recently with a view to swapping my IS300h for an NX or an RX.

initially I looked at the NX as I had previously test driven one for an hour before I decided to get the IS, the main reason for which was the fuel economy, nothing more. However, as you do, on reflection, considering I only do around 7000 miles the fuel savings isn’t going to be a huge bag of beans. Also, I had the use of an NX for a day while a camera was being fitted to my IS and it brought home to me that the ride height is much more suitable to us than the IS, which we now find difficult to get out of, as it is quite low. 

I started looking at 2nd hand 16 or 66 plate NX’s for sale with reasonable mileage  and they ain’t that cheap, coming in around and above £30k. I thought if I am going to look around that level, then why not look at an RX as well, which I did. Ok, for a few grand more again, I could get an RX instead and given that I have got over my fuel consumption stigma (was a Prius owner) I wondered if this might be the better choice of the 2 overall.

What are your views? Given the choice would you buy an NX or an RX? I don’t need a big car anyway, but I would like one of these 2. Which would you choose and why? 

RX all the way.

Bigger, better, roomier - my wife's mobility scooter lives in the back very happily, and the fuel consumption isn't a lot worse than the NX anyway.

I believe the NX is a 2.0 (may be 2.2) straight 4 as opposed to the RX's 3.5 V6 so you'd expect the NX to give much better economy, but the engine is underpowered for the size and weight of the car so it's not as economical as you might think.

We bought our late 2013 (63-plate) RX450h Advance 14 months ago for £25k with 33k miles on the clock and I've loved every minute in it - I think I'd sleep in it if I could 😊

• Like 3

This is a slightly biased response as I’ve done 20,000 miles in my RX in the last 9 months and about 550 miles in an NX courtesy car I had for a week.

However, the RX is a superior car. The NX felt tiny inside, it’s boot being a particular disappointment and the ride quality of the one I had was pretty dismal. I averaged 39 mpg in the NX and in the same conditions (journey/weather/foot weight) in the RX I get 35/6.

I initially really liked the look of the NX and sat in one of those in Lexus Leicester first. Once the salesman took me outside to sit in an RX the goal was set. Great levels of comfort, surprising turn of speed and looks great.

Downsides of an RX for me are, fuel economy in slow moving traffic, the air suspension squeaks (apparently they all do this) and it is a bugger to park in congested areas.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Had the exact same decision to make when changing from a 3rd Gen RX and went for the 4RX.

Few reasons - the RX is much more refined than an NX in any guise, the interior quality is better as is the stability at speed. The RX rear suspension does squeak over bumps, but then so do the NX ones with the same mileage. 

We've got an IS300h too and TBH the NX didn't feel much better and I felt it was quite lethargic. The RX picks up very well. The V6 is buttery smooth and makes a pleasant growl too.

It just feels much more like a premium product, test drive both, you'll see what I mean.

• Like 1

I intended to buy an NX after owning both a 2014 IS300h F Sport and a 2015 GS300h. Drove one and found it incredibly uncomfortable. Harsh ride and the seats had me curtailing the test drive in 10 miles. I am not joking when I say that my back ached for several days. 

Tried an  older RX and loved it. The fuel consumption is around the 32 to 36mpg mark Overy 20000 miles in 9 months. 

Normally change cars at this time but am sticking with the RX as I love it so much. 

My car is a very late  series 3 RX Advance so to me has ample kit and conventional springs. 

Plenty of power and extremely quiet and stable on Michelin Cross Climates. 

• Like 2

Definitely the RX, had an NX for a couple of years after my IS, just couldn’t get comfortable with it. Bit the bullet and went for an RX and it’s much better. Fuel consumption down a bit compared to the NX, but not drastic.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LexusIS300h said:

This post has also been  placed in the NX section

I have been looking at the Lexus SUV’s recently with a view to swapping my IS300h for an NX or an RX.

initially I looked at the NX as I had previously test driven one for an hour before I decided to get the IS, the main reason for which was the fuel economy, nothing more. However, as you do, on reflection, considering I only do around 7000 miles the fuel savings isn’t going to be a huge bag of beans. Also, I had the use of an NX for a day while a camera was being fitted to my IS and it brought home to me that the ride height is much more suitable to us than the IS, which we now find difficult to get out of, as it is quite low. 

I started looking at 2nd hand 16 or 66 plate NX’s for sale with reasonable mileage  and they ain’t that cheap, coming in around and above £30k. I thought if I am going to look around that level, then why not look at an RX as well, which I did. Ok, for a few grand more again, I could get an RX instead and given that I have got over my fuel consumption stigma (was a Prius owner) I wondered if this might be the better choice of the 2 overall.

What are your views? Given the choice would you buy an NX or an RX? I don’t need a big car anyway, but I would like one of these 2. Which would you choose and why? 

Personally, I'd prefer a slightly older RX to an NX... Cost the same, but you get a better car IMHO.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links