Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This post has also been placed in the RX segment....

have been looking at the Lexus SUV’s recently with a view to swapping my IS300h for an NX or an RX.

initially I looked at the NX as I had previously test driven one for an hour before I decided to get the IS, the main reason for which was the fuel economy, nothing more. However, as you do, on reflection, considering I only do around 7000 miles the fuel savings isn’t going to be a huge bag of beans. Also, I had the use of an NX for a day while a camera was being fitted to my IS and it brought home to me that the ride height is much more suitable to us than the IS, which we now find difficult to get out of, as it is quite low. 

I started looking at 2nd hand 16 or 66 plate NX’s for sale with reasonable mileage  and they ain’t that cheap, coming in around and above £30k. I thought if I am going to look around that level, then why not look at an RX as well, which I did. Ok, for a few grand more again, I could get an RX instead and given that I have got over my fuel consumption stigma (was a Prius owner) I wondered if this might be the better choice of the 2 overall.

What are your views? Given the choice would you buy an NX or an RX? I don’t need a big car anyway, but I would like one of these 2. Which would you choose and why?

A couple of factors for me, having owned an NX and had two RXs as long(ish) term loan cars.

First, the RX is quite a bit bigger than the NX. If that isn't an issue for you then fine, but parking/manoevering and the lanes where I live made the RX more of a challenge than the NX.

Second, how much older would an RX be than an NX for the same price? Is that important to you?

It really is a 'drive both and make your own mind up' question. Personally I'm not sure you'll get much from forum responses as all will be opinion and your opinion may be different.

Over the months on this forum I've read that the RX is pretty much as economical as an NX (which wasn't my experience), that the RX is quieter (certainly not my experience based on the F-Sport RX) and that the RX is more comfortable (again, not my experience). Go and make up your own mind based on what you think and what suits you. 

• Like 2

I've got a four week old, 19 plate NX (Premium pack + Protection pack) that I may be moving on. I just can't get comfortable in it. 

It'll be for sale for less than dealers are currently selling year old ones for. Only has 900 miles currently. Feel free to message me if you'd like more information

20190331_131525.jpg

20190302_122610.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

A couple of factors for me, having owned an NX and had two RXs as long(ish) term loan cars.

First, the RX is quite a bit bigger than the NX. If that isn't an issue for you then fine, but parking/manoevering and the lanes where I live made the RX more of a challenge than the NX.

Second, how much older would an RX be than an NX for the same price? Is that important to you?

It really is a 'drive both and make your own mind up' question. Personally I'm not sure you'll get much from forum responses as all will be opinion and your opinion may be different.

Over the months on this forum I've read that the RX is pretty much as economical as an NX (which wasn't my experience), that the RX is quieter (certainly not my experience based on the F-Sport RX) and that the RX is more comfortable (again, not my experience). Go and make up your own mind based on what you think and what suits you. 

Thanks Ed, it was useful to hear from someone who could directly compare both having driven both extensively. I appreciate it will be my mind to make up, but feedback from current drivers of them would be useful too. Interesting to read your comments on mpg comfort and noise too. 

5 minutes ago, Quietlife said:

I've got a four week old, 19 plate NX (Premium pack + Protection pack) that I may be moving on. I just can't get comfortable in it. 

It'll be for sale for less than dealers are currently selling year old ones for. Only has 900 miles currently. Feel free to message me if you'd like more information

Thanks Paul, I really wanted one no younger than 66 plate to avoid the £440 road tax for 5 years

'

34 minutes ago, LexusIS300h said:

Thanks Ed, it was useful to hear from someone who could directly compare both having driven both extensively. I appreciate it will be my mind to make up, but feedback from current drivers of them would be useful too. Interesting to read your comments on mpg comfort and noise too. 

Don't get me wrong, the RX is a wonderful vehicle and the 'standard' suspension version I also had was much better imho than the F-Sport, which I found too hard for my tastes and also noisier. However, my opinion was the same for the F-Sport NX vs the 'standard.'

Having owned the NX and had two RXs (Sport and F-Sport) for weeks at a time, as my first NX had an issue that LED to eventual replacement by Lexus, I'm unconvinced that the RX is as superior as some owners tend to think. Thing is, it's all about personal opinions, and buyer justification kicks in too (whether conscious or unconscious). When looking at responses, ask whether the poster has real experience of both cars, or whether (as will most often be the case) they've had a test drive in both then chosen one.

Neither the NX nor the RX is as quiet or smooth as an IS or a GS either (had those as courtesy cars too, and an RC...).

Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quietlife said:

20190331_131525.jpg

20190302_122610.jpg

I always felt that if the seat was correct, then the steering wheel was an inch or two to far away. Not enough adjustment in the wheel position. Stuck with it for two years then changed to an RX, much better.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LexusIS300h said:

I started looking at 2nd hand 16 or 66 plate NX’s for sale with reasonable mileage  and they ain’t that cheap, coming in around and above £30k. 

I picked up my Jan 2018 NX (2018MY) in August for just over £31k, a good saving on new price and only 3000 miles on it. It is a Luxury spec with premium nav (newer 10 inch screen) and lovely red leather.  

I moved from an IS and haven’t looked back. I love the higher up seating position. 

Not as ‘fun’ to drive as the IS as it feels slower and the fuel economy is disappointing, but the overall experience is great. 

• Like 1

I had a GS 300h Premier and now a RS 450h (Premier too), and I would have not decide to change my GS for a NX, while RX is "better", except for mpg. So, if you are considering the passage from IS to a Lexus SUV, in my opinion it has sense only getting a RX (mainly for v6 engine); I drove NX as courtesy car  but I would have not traded my GS for it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zotto said:

I had a GS 300h Premier and now a RS 450h (Premier too), and I would have not decide to change my GS for a NX, while RX is "better", except for mpg. So, if you are considering the passage from IS to a Lexus SUV, in my opinion it has sense only getting a RX (mainly for v6 engine); I drove NX as courtesy car  but I would have not traded my GS for it.

Assuming my disability allowed me to own a normal saloon, I wouldn't swap from a GS to an NX either. Surely the comparison isn't 'luxury' saloon - luxury SUV i.e. GS vs RX, it is 'compact executive' saloon - compact SUV i.e. IS vs NX. The GS imho is from a class above the NX, and was priced accordingly. The GS I had for a few weeks as a courtesy car was for sale at over £45k 'used' whereas my NX Luxury was below £40k brand new.

Similarly it would seem logical that the new UX compares with the CT in the Lexus range for those wanting a slightly raised driving position.

Looking back at my posts from when I had the RX, I was achieving economy in that of 28-32. I achieve 38-42 in the NX. I also note that while very disappointed in the RX when I had an F-Sport, I was far more complimentary when I had the 'normal' Sport version. None of which really helps the poster of this thread, who needs to decide which car is most relevant for HIS purchase, which will depend on price, age, size and his opinion of both cars.

I'd recommend three things @LexusIS300h

First, see what age/mileage you can get for your budget in both cars, and decide if you'd be happy with older/newer. Second, make sure you get a 24 hour test drive in both. Third, go and look at the new Honda CRV Hybrid as well...

• Like 3

16 hours ago, pobrown said:

I picked up my Jan 2018 NX (2018MY) in August for just over £31k, a good saving on new price and only 3000 miles on it. It is a Luxury spec with premium nav (newer 10 inch screen) and lovely red leather.  

I moved from an IS and haven’t looked back. I love the higher up seating position. 

Not as ‘fun’ to drive as the IS as it feels slower and the fuel economy is disappointing, but the overall experience is great. 

It wouldn't be much more for mine. I'm being realistic what I'll get for it. Still painful though!

I have owned in succession a RX400h (outgoing Executive Limited Edition), a RX450h (SEI) and now a NX300f (F-Sport).

Best on your comments, I am assuming that you would be looking at a previous generation RX450h, as opposed to the current one.

Size:
On paper, the RX is not that much bigger, but you do notice the difference in car parks and along country lanes. The boot in the NX is smaller, but I have never found it to be a problem.  The NX is narrower and this can be an issue if you regularly carry 3 passengers in the back, otherwise space is plentiful for two rear passengers, even with the panoramic root. Room at the front is more than adequate.

Performance:
No doubt about it, the RX is much more powerful, and therefore feels and is a lot faster. Swifter progress, but you pay for it at the pump, although you'll never stop grinning. I never managed to better an average of 29mpg, but that was without trying hard as mpg never was a priority.

Comfort:
The RX is very comfortable and I travelled (very) long distances at times without suffering from my back etc. The seats are more like armchairs, the suspension is relatively cosetting. My sons tell me that the rear seats are equally as comfortable and the incline of the backrest can be changed to help find your ideal position. Having said this, all of us agree that the NX is equally as comfortable... but in a different way. Firmer suspension with better control around corners and bends, and seats are better sculpted and more supportive in some ways.  Personally, I love the seats in the NX F-Sport.

Noise:
the 6 cylinders of the RX, backed up by laminated (double) glazing and good insulation contribute to a quieter ride. Also, the engine being more powerful, it is less strained under load. The downside is that you notice that it is far more rattly than the NX. Our RX suffered from a rattly back seat that used to drive us mad, plus the odd squeak here and there that would come and go, and friction noise from the front windows against the runners/rubber (never managed to completely get rid of this), depending on the weather and the outside temperature. On the other hand, absolutely no parasite noise in the NX and I find the engine noise well controlled... until you need to hurry up a hill.

Technology:
The RX is an older design than the NX. As a result, you get more toys in the NX - depending on trim level of course - and they are more up to date.

At the end of the day, I'd recommend the NX over a previous generation RX450h. Unless you want the performance and the space, the NX is a better compromise, it arguably looks better, is cheaper to run... and for the same amount of cash you will get a much newer car. Now if I had to make the choice between the current RX and the NX, I'd plump for the RX!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well a week or so later and I have made up my mind......

It is going to be the NX Premier. I found the RX a bit daunting in size and felt it would be an absolute devil to park in tight multi storey car parks. It is gorgeous though and so wide inside, or so it felt.

So after a few days humming and haa-ing and after test drives, I plumped for the NX. My son in law has the F Sport version, so I knew the interior was going to be good. It was nice to see one with a few more bells and whistles on it though 😂

Getting in and out of the NX was easy too, which was my main self-afflicted gripe over the IS we currently have. It will be a shame to say goodbye to the IS because it is a lovely car to drive, just a bummer getting out of it at my age, old fart that I am 😜

We collect the NX on Friday. It is a 66 plate in Mercury Grey, with about 38k miles on it. The interior looks great, no sagging seats or marked interior despite the higher than normal mileage. 

Looks like I will have to change my nom de plume on here now 😊

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions too, they did help.

• Like 6

NX vs 2016 RX450... no question get the RX.

NX vs 2012 RX450.... depends on whether the uglier looks of the older RX bugs you.  Otherwise get the RX.

The RX is just a much better car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LexusIS300h said:

Well I collected the NX yesterday. Nice drive back home too. It’s not as sure footed as the IS but I didn’t want a  boy racer anyway. 

^^ Wait until the Winter. If we have icy roads or snow you'll find it much more sure footed especially with proper Winter tyres or even 'all season' tyres.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ Wait until the Winter. If we have icy roads or snow you'll find it much more sure footed especially with proper Winter tyres or even 'all season' tyres.

We had a touch of that this morning with frosty roads,  but that was too early for the car and it’s driver 😂

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2019 at 12:17 PM, LexusIS300h said:

This post has also been placed in the RX segment....

have been looking at the Lexus SUV’s recently with a view to swapping my IS300h for an NX or an RX.

initially I looked at the NX as I had previously test driven one for an hour before I decided to get the IS, the main reason for which was the fuel economy, nothing more. However, as you do, on reflection, considering I only do around 7000 miles the fuel savings isn’t going to be a huge bag of beans. Also, I had the use of an NX for a day while a camera was being fitted to my IS and it brought home to me that the ride height is much more suitable to us than the IS, which we now find difficult to get out of, as it is quite low. 

I started looking at 2nd hand 16 or 66 plate NX’s for sale with reasonable mileage  and they ain’t that cheap, coming in around and above £30k. I thought if I am going to look around that level, then why not look at an RX as well, which I did. Ok, for a few grand more again, I could get an RX instead and given that I have got over my fuel consumption stigma (was a Prius owner) I wondered if this might be the better choice of the 2 overall.

What are your views? Given the choice would you buy an NX or an RX? I don’t need a big car anyway, but I would like one of these 2. Which would you choose and why?

I have both an Nx300h (my wife drives it now predominantly) and Gs450h. I can tell you I regret getting the Nx300h.i was in a similar situation to you last year, with a budget just under 30k debating between a used rx and nx. If i have the chance to do it again,  I would have gotten an older generation rx450 with air suspension. Much better ride comfort/quieter cabin, during the test drive. I can’t comment on the fuel economy difference between the rx and the nx. However, between the Gs450h and the nx300h, the nx was better averaging about 38-40mpg compared to early thirties in the Gs. 

The reason I didn’t get the rx450 was only simply down to the fact that my wife couldn’t live with the looks (i am referring to the pre facelift models (<2015), which I admit, the nx has a much more palatable styling and interior. 

hope it helps. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cactus said:

I have both an Nx300h (my wife drives it now predominantly) and Gs450h. I can tell you I regret getting the Nx300h.i was in a similar situation to you last year, with a budget just under 30k debating between a used rx and nx. If i have the chance to do it again,  I would have gotten an older generation rx450 with air suspension. Much better ride comfort/quieter cabin, during the test drive. I can’t comment on the fuel economy difference between the rx and the nx. However, between the Gs450h and the nx300h, the nx was better averaging about 38-40mpg compared to early thirties in the Gs. 

The reason I didn’t get the rx450 was only simply down to the fact that my wife couldn’t live with the looks (i am referring to the pre facelift models (<2015), which I admit, the nx has a much more palatable styling and interior. 

hope it helps. 

@Cactusif you look earlier in the thread you'll see that the OP made the decision - in favour of the NX - back in early April...

I'm a big fan of the GS, and would prefer one to my NX if it was practical for me to have one, but it isn't. Ease of access when you have a disability rules out most saloon cars. RXs I've had are just too big for me now - actually as is the NX really - but the new UX isn't quite high enough. I'll be keeping my NX for the long-term. The longer I've owned it, the more I've appreciated it.

If you lot think the 2012-15 RX is ugly then you don't know the meaning of the word - this LX570 thing fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!

ugly.thumb.jpeg.3e59f57c967ad9853f93e8eb0015c1f4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

If you lot think the 2012-15 RX is ugly then you don't know the meaning of the word - this LX570 thing fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!

ugly.thumb.jpeg.3e59f57c967ad9853f93e8eb0015c1f4.jpeg

It`s a Vadermobile ?

• Haha 2

Met a guy in North Yorkshire today who was driving a May 2018 NX. He asked me about my RX and commented how bumpy the ride was in his NX. I told him I got around 36mpg in the summer and he commented that was about his mpg. Definitely makes me glad I went RX despite its lack of beauty. 

15 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Met a guy in North Yorkshire today who was driving a May 2018 NX. He asked me about my RX and commented how bumpy the ride was in his NX. I told him I got around 36mpg in the summer and he commented that was about his mpg. Definitely makes me glad I went RX despite its lack of beauty. 

I get 42-44 mpg without much issue in my NX. Was getting only low 30's at best in a couple of thousand miles in new RXs. The ride in the new RX F-Sport was much harder than the standard NX too, although admittedly I'm not familiar with the old style RX which may be softer?

Based on experience of both and the price difference between new NX and new RX I'm definitely glad I went NX.

Just done a 400 mile round trip in my NX to Scotland. The majority on motorway at 60-70mph (confirmed by gps not speedo) and returned 41 miles per gallon. Again confirmed by fill up rather than computer. Excellent quiet ride on michelin cross climate tyres.  Love my NX.

• Like 2