Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reversing Camera Issue- HDD Replaced

Well my car had an intermediate service today a Lexus Cheltenham. At the same time they replaced the HDD to cure the slow reversing camera issue.

Result - camera now switches much faster and some of the other functions seem quicker. The satnav destinations need reloading , but everything functions as it should.. The service adviser commented how much faster the camera switched in, so clearly they made the correct decision to replace the unit ( at nearly 2 grand it was a great warranty claim).

While there I extended my warranty for another 2 years and was pleased to learn that the cost includes 2 MOT's.

The only thing mentioned on service was that front discs are down to 32mm ( recommended minimum is 31mm apparently). Pads are at 4mm.

Quote is £325 to replace discs and pads inc vat , but service adviser Mike  said to leave the work for now and pop the car in after another 5,000 miles to check wear again.

As always very happy with level of service as all work was completed in 2 1/2 hours while i examined the New RAV4 and UX 's in the showrooms.

• Like 2

I'm glad it's all sorted for you now Les but I'm curious about something.

I'm a computer technician and to me, the acronym HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive. I know the navigation operating system and maps reside on a hard drive but I'm struggling to find the association between the camera and the hard drive, if that is indeed what HDD stands for in the Lexus world. As far as I know the camera only displays an image on the screen in real time and doesn't record anything on the drive, so I'm wondering why replacing the drive would improve the camera?

Anyone shed any light on this?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I'm glad it's all sorted for you now Les but I'm curious about something.

I'm a computer technician and to me, the acronym HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive. I know the navigation operating system and maps reside on a hard drive but I'm struggling to find the association between the camera and the hard drive, if that is indeed what HDD stands for in the Lexus world. As far as I know the camera only displays an image on the screen in real time and doesn't record anything on the drive, so I'm wondering why replacing the drive would improve the camera?

Anyone shed any light on this?

A good question. I think that it must be more than just a hard drive and presume that it controls a lot of functions. I 'm sure someone on  here may know  the answer.Certainly all my stored satnav routes have gone , likewise the telephone speed dial settings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Looked at 'My Lexus'. States 'Replaced hard drive u, Disc, Disc player'. 

I presume they just replaced the whole centre console interface.