Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering wheel retrim and wood delete...!

Well the next mod to mine is bound to cause a few raised eyebrows, it is certainly a Marmite issue.....

Wooden steering wheels..... My 2p worth....

I hate them, I can think why anyone would want to hold something so hard and cold, the steering wheel should be tactile and a pleasure to hold, after all it is the one part of the car you touch the most, a wood wheel is hard all the time, they are usually thinner than a leather one and this makes it worse, your hands sweat on them in summer and they are freezing in the winter, they serve absolutely no purpose and are just a fashion icon... 

And the only thing I hate more than a wooden wheel is a wood and leather one...!!! Another 2p....

They remind you what a decent wheel would feel like but then ruin it with wood where you need to touch it... If you let the wheel feed through your hands it sticks and then runs free depending on which bit passes through your hands.... 

So you have probably guessed what I've done....

Gone from this... (Google pic but you get the idea...!!)

42845B87-A1F2-4374-8E13-0797FAF2D588_9.thumb.jpg.811cc7fdd40e71e23bd45da131930a1e.jpg

To this....

1121155753_Photo03-04-2019131629.thumb.jpg.a880c80afe23584cf4d88e21688b2f95.jpg

1306649682_Photo03-04-2019131642.thumb.jpg.0ff191dc3d0a133f641a841712a8e6b4.jpg

1880517646_Photo03-04-2019131652.thumb.jpg.b915616716598f4f78344c7c396fe839.jpg

I had it recovered in leather by http://royalsteeringwheels.com/ They charged around £160 and it took a couple of weeks...

It is about as close a colour match as you can get and it feels superb.... I really like it... if it's not to your taste they can just do the leather parts

IF ANYONE WANTS TO BORROW MY SPARE WHEEL THEN LET ME KNOW...

I have put a brief rundown on how to remove the wheel on my build thread.. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jonthetourist said:

Interesting, as always. Shouldn't you be island hopping in the Gulf of Mexico at the moment rather than scraping frost off the car this morning?

Jon

Yes but unfortunately my wife has been diagnosed with cancer for the second time so we had to come home early..., she had an operation last week and is feeling fine, we are waiting to see if she needs chemo, we plan to go back out as soon as we can... the wheel retrim was a present so I sort of had to do it... fitting it in around my nurse maid duties... !!

Sorry to hear that Peter. Hope she gets a rapid and full recovery. My dad has just been diagnosed with his third cancer but I was up in Yorkshire this weekend driving him to Goathland for his 90th birthday party. He loves being driven in the Lexus 😊

So the boat plan is working out for you then? Good to hear.

Jon

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jonthetourist said:

Sorry to hear that Peter. Hope she gets a rapid and full recovery. My dad has just been diagnosed with his third cancer but I was up in Yorkshire this weekend driving him to Goathland for his 90th birthday party. He loves being driven in the Lexus 😊

So the boat plan is working out for you then? Good to hear.

Jon

Yes, we love it, just got it fixed from the damage caused by Hurricane Michael and she is sat in a Marina being looked after by friends..

1393194244_ScreenShot01-15-19at12.32PM003.PNG.02737d0040d274d47c51a01d2ec1043e.PNG

• Like 2

Sorry to hear of your wife's predicament, mine went through chemo and radiotherapy 5.5 years ago, not nice, but fully recovered now thank God.  As for something less important like a steering wheel, a very nice job but I love the look and feel of wood!  Interestingly, I also love marmite, and have consumed some not 15 mins ago!👍

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Sorry to hear of your wife's predicament, mine went through chemo and radiotherapy 5.5 years ago, not nice, but fully recovered now thank God.  As for something less important like a steering wheel, a very nice job but I love the look and feel of wood!  Interestingly, I also love marmite, and have consumed some not 15 mins ago!👍

It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing, me, I'm a leather and Marmite man......  LoL....

9 minutes ago, Haylands said:

It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing, me, I'm a leather and Marmite man......  LoL....

Hmm, I've not tried them together. I am at home today, and feeling a bit peckish....

• Haha 1

Peter 

Firstly let me add to the good wishes you have received for your Wife and her recovery,I to spent many happy years in the south west Florida region around the Fort Myers area fishing and boating.

Later this summer we are embarking on a epic month long tour of the National Parks bespoke driving organised by a renowned vacation planner,usual Yellowstone, Yosemite,and eight others over six states.Will be driving a ford edge which I have used before in the US not as nice as a  400 but still pretty good.

With regard to the steering wheel ,yes I agree with your sentiments fortunately mine is still mint but that is useful info.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Haylands said:

Yes but unfortunately my wife has been diagnosed with cancer for the second time so we had to come home early..., she had an operation last week and is feeling fine, we are waiting to see if she needs chemo, we plan to go back out as soon as we can... the wheel retrim was a present so I sort of had to do it... fitting it in around my nurse maid duties... !!

Best wishes for a good recovery, i know how you feel as my better half is just going through the exact same scenario and is mostly dreading the chemo if needed.

Great looking boat by the way and great to be able to look forward to getting back on it.

I also wish cancer would bugger off and leave the good people of this world alone.

20 hours ago, Haylands said:

Also sorry to hear of your predicament, and trust your wife makes a full recovery. Love the boat and your photos and reports ,Rgds,Roger

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the thoughts guys, yes cancer is a PITA, hopefully she will beat it again then we can go back west and sit and sip cocktails on the poop deck...

As to the steering wheel I love it more the more I drive it, the last time I changed a wood wheel was on the old CL500 I had, I then wrapped the rest of the real wood in genuine fake carbon wrap.... now do I have the gonads to do that to the Lexus...!!!!!

1284153400_ScreenShot04-04-19at09_55PM.thumb.PNG.83e1a4c33e9ca2e498c003318eb17b58.PNG

IMG_0184.thumb.JPG.4466f4f1ee91bf083ad2ea1ea82ea767.JPG

428551528_ScreenShot04-04-19at09_56PM.thumb.PNG.cd221638b7e71036ffdff838f54ec191.PNG

On 4/4/2019 at 11:55 AM, ambermarine said:

.Will be driving a ford edge which I have used before in the US not as nice as a  400 but still pretty good.

Good luck to your wife Peter.
Nice looking CL interior. Would love to have those seats in my LS.
I loved my S320CDI's seat. The rest of the car was unreliable and expensive to fix.

• Thanks 1