Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gear selector light replacement

Has anyone done it?  Wondering how easy it is.  I have replaced the gearbox/height/dual-temp lights which wasn't too difficult.  Just wondering if anyone had any experience, tips, or could confirm which bulb I need please?  Only thing I came across was this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/497176-shift-indicator-light-replaement.html

:)

Many thanks... It might do.. guess I will find out! :)

I don't suppose anyone can anyone confirm the correct bulb?  Shall I try an independent place like the Lexus eBay guy, or just go to a main dealer

Hi Phil

I had to replace the light bulbs in my A/C display on my Mark 1 400 and the bulb and green shroud came as a package.

I do not know weather they have changed the bulb base on the 430 but from that video the principle is similar,if you determine the bulb type by extraction and compare it with the type in the pics you should be able to order by part number from Lexus.

Some bulbs that are used in switches are of different voltage and amperage so it is important to get the correct bulb.

DSC03693.JPG

DSC03692.JPG

• Thanks 1

feeling a bit foolish having contribulted here. 

I thought I'd put a small blue LED in the Gear shift but having slightly pulled outward on two brown tabs and found no movement I came in for a cup of Tea. 

Thinks:  Maybe the tabs PUSH inward to relase the cover?  Can you recall Phil?

ps I have taken off the little red cap on the Hazzard warning bulb (cost me £4) as frankly the switch just can't be seen in the dark.

8 minutes ago, AndyZ said:

Taken from TCIS catalogue LS430:

Bulb : 33550D : 90981-11018

Cover : 33550E : 90339-04049

Regards

Andy

90981-11018.jpg

TCIS Image.pdf 23.85 kB · 1 download TCIS Numbers.pdf 22.63 kB · 1 download

They have updated the bulb type according to this valuable post from Andy it shows the importance of the correct bulb fitment before ordering as I don't think mine were cheap and that's 15 years ago

2 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

feeling a bit foolish having contribulted here. 

I thought I'd put a small blue LED in the Gear shift but having slightly pulled outward on two brown tabs and found no movement I came in for a cup of Tea. 

Thinks:  Maybe the tabs PUSH inward to relase the cover?  Can you recall Phil?

ps I have taken off the little red cap on the Hazzard warning bulb (cost me £4) as frankly the switch just can't be seen in the dark.

The walnut panel is taken out by levering up after taking out the ashtray surround by levering out with a thin screwdriver covered in tape or one of the plastic tools.

The panel comes off without removing the Ash tray on the LS400.  Its the Gear Shift surround that I can't raise to change the bulb. 

Will try tomorrow to see if those two brown tabs push in

A bit of advice. Best to use a broad hooked paint scraper hooked under the rubber trim at the back end and held firm whilst pulling upward.  Using plastic pry bars at the sides is likely to crack the wood and didn't work for me. 

I just couldn't get mine to shift until I used the Scraper and I put some grease on the two rear lugs to make sure it comes away easily in future. 

I messed around and added Vinyl Carbon Fbire on the outer part of the Surround which is why I needed to remove the wood facia during the week. Should have tried changing the bulb same time but the memory is not what it was!

Stuart

Like you my memory of this exercise done fifteen years ago is sketchy I removed the gear stick panel so I could remove the ashtray which gives access to the bolts that hold the radio and a/c console,I had no reason to lift off the gear stick cover, so have no idea as to how.