Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Child seats in an RCF

Thinking of changing cars. Occasionally have to transport 2 grandchildren, aged 3 and one. No problem in the ISF with a forward and rear facing set up.

So, once the seats are in an RCF, is there enough room to get the kids in and then strap them up? I realise the rear facing one is going to take up the most room, and fortunately my wife is on the small side, so the passenger seat can go forward a bit. 

Not thinking of long journeys, just 15 minutes or so from nursery etc.

Anyone do this?

I don’t own one do can’t say but having sat in one the forward facing won’t be an issue. The rear facing one however will depend on the height of your partner I imagine. 

• 4 months later...

Update! Didn't change for an F, but got the hybrid instead. As hoped, seats go in ok. It is a bit of a squeeze lifting little lad into the rear facing one, and ok for occasional use. Wouldn't want to do it on a daily basis.

We have a rearward facing Maxi Cosi Pebble plus and a Maxi Cosi Pearl in our GSF and RX450h. Im 5ft7  and find that there is just  the right amount of  room in the back as these seats seem to take up an excessive amount of room with their ISOFIX bases. Interestingly we had  a BMW 218d Active Tourer 7 seater whilst on holiday  and  there was no room at all in the front with these seats in place. 

I put two universal childseats in the back of my RCF secured by the seatbelts. Never again. They left horrible indents in the leather. My previous car also had perforated leather and was no problem, but Lexus leather is clearly softer than that on the Honda Legend. Various YouTube videos suggested lots of rubbing and a hairdryer. It was hot boring work but the leather recovered. After and before....

0FE04CE4-1941-445D-9AAA-4046D1402031.jpeg

D40C839D-A90B-4A5C-83D3-A8F8448CDE87.jpeg

You need to use a seat protector underneath the car seat or car seat adaptor. I’ve tried both the Maxi Cosi and Diono brands and minimal indentations were left when the seats were removed which fully recovered with out any intervention within a day. No problems with the Lexus leather what so ever. 

• Like 1

I agree. Thanks for the advice. I will definitely follow that up. I have been using thick blanket material as a protector. The Lexus leather seats are incredibly comfortable and the soft leather is great. It was just a surprise to find they needed a seat protector when the same childseats were fine in my previous car. Its a useful warning to others.

• Like 1

I was aware of indentations, so purchased thick ISO fix friendly protectors for base and back, with additional rubber floor mats on top of the base part, including the centre plastic division. Tape also affixed to the sills that they use as a step. The self moving electric seats are considered as magic!